Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old September 18th, 2021, 07:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Our WOMBAT or MOBAT - can't recall which as we had 2 A/T platoons, one equipped with each in 1/51 Highland - could have a charge or charges rigged up that went off with the gun to "spoof" where the actual firing point was. That was mentioned in some briefing we got on the use of them.
Old September 19th, 2021, 09:18 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

When I was in the service (1987-1981) as an M1A1 tank driver in basic that is how they taught us to avoid ATGM attacks, have the gunner shoot the coax and the loader shoot the loader 240 mg at the smoke where the ATGM was fired from and for the driver to engage in zig zig movements. That was the theory and practice in the late 80s. Not sure how effective it would have been in reality. Fortunately for myself when we fought the Iraqis in 91 I never saw any ATGM attacks from them, it was all tank on tank action very much like World War Two and we had the sense of how the Germans tankers may have felt in the early part of the war. We did feel invincible in a way, at least after our first combats, it it was due to combined arms, we were glad for our artillery and air/help support and all our training. We trained for a large war which thankfully never happened but combat nowadays is much much different, I don’t think (hopefully) we will ever see combat on the scale of WW2 or WW1, but the smaller sized conflicts will be just as deadly and intense and let’s pray that no idiot ever fires a nuke in anger.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
Old September 20th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
When I was in the service (1987-1981) as an M1A1 tank driver in basic that is how they taught us to avoid ATGM attacks, have the gunner shoot the coax and the loader shoot the loader 240 mg at the smoke where the ATGM was fired from and for the driver to engage in zig zig movements. That was the theory and practice in the late 80s. Not sure how effective it would have been in reality. Fortunately for myself when we fought the Iraqis in 91 I never saw any ATGM attacks from them, it was all tank on tank action very much like World War Two and we had the sense of how the Germans tankers may have felt in the early part of the war. We did feel invincible in a way, at least after our first combats, it it was due to combined arms, we were glad for our artillery and air/help support and all our training. We trained for a large war which thankfully never happened but combat nowadays is much much different, I don’t think (hopefully) we will ever see combat on the scale of WW2 or WW1, but the smaller sized conflicts will be just as deadly and intense and let’s pray that no idiot ever fires a nuke in anger.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

I forgot where I read it, but an online report of an armor officer that fought in ODS said that there was an incident where two BRDMs with ATGMs fired at their tanks. They were quickly spotted and knocked out before the missiles came anywhere close to their tanks (and obviously hit the dirt w/o any guidance).
Old October 6th, 2021, 04:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

My biggest suggestion is to improve the map-maker.

Currently, with the enhanced CD edition, you can set the random map-maker to keep the elevation map and instead place random scenery over the blank elevation map.

This is intended to improve VENHOLA map imports.

It works pretty good for inland maps, but what about river/island/beach maps?

Perhaps this function could be improved to also respect water hexes that have been placed on the map as well; not overwriting them?

It would make river/island/beach map creation easier.
Old October 6th, 2021, 07:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The map maker is already LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other SP based game but apparently, we just can't do enough to make everyone happy... but really... in what reality is everyone happy ??

However. For water maps ( 2019 addition )
Quote:
Extended Game version owners Only. You can now flood fill areas of zero elevation with deep water using the " key in the map editors. This was primarily added to be used with the Venhola map generator but it can be used for hand made maps as well. For shoreline maps it saves a great deal of time but be aware that sometimes beach areas are recorded by Venhola as the same level as the water so those areas and any areas of shallow water you may want troops to wade through need to be added manually

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Don, I know about the " key for 2019 CD edition.

The reason I raised the request is that currently, if you import a map from VENHOLA and use the " key in the standalone map editor; you get a nice filled map with Level 0 = water.

But when you select MAP GENERATOR and try:

KEEP CONTOURS button = Generate a random map using the current contours

the water hexes get reset to land hexes when you try to use the current map contours to generate a random map with those contours, but random map cover.

Is it possible to add a "KEEP WATER" option for that option?
Old October 7th, 2021, 08:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Maybe...

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old October 13th, 2021, 07:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Honestly, at this point in lifecycle; you've pretty much covered everything in WW2 and MBT; except for really weird edge cases (Switzerland in WW2); which is too much work for the amount of gameplay (a scenario or two) you'd get from them.

Perhaps a little bit more detail in the documentation, such as the proportion of Tank Types Germany had at certain points?

POLAND 1939:

Pz I 38.13%
Pz II 44.16%
Pz 35(t) 4.39%
Pz 38(t) 2.16%
Pz III 3.41%
Pz IV 7.76%

Total “Obsolete” Tanks (Panzer I/II) 82.29%
Total “Modern” Tanks (Panzer 35/38/III/IV) 17.71%

For the people who like to put together long campaigns, etc that are a bit more historically accurate rather than buying all Pz38T
Old October 13th, 2021, 08:59 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

I think the games are great. The only thing I wish for is more building icons with an Oriental flavor for WW2 and MBT but that is just a wish and maybe porting some of the bunker/forts over from WW2 to MBT, but hey you guys have given us the ability to refight all the Green Army Men wars of our youth and to play the general with the battles. The best thing going. Also, for me, I have learned a lot of history and interesting stuff from the write-ups and the topics since the first days of this game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old October 14th, 2021, 05:15 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Honestly, at this point in lifecycle; you've pretty much covered everything in WW2 and MBT; except for really weird edge cases (Switzerland in WW2); which is too much work for the amount of gameplay (a scenario or two) you'd get from them.

Perhaps a little bit more detail in the documentation, such as the proportion of Tank Types Germany had at certain points?

POLAND 1939:

Pz I 38.13%
Pz II 44.16%
Pz 35(t) 4.39%
Pz 38(t) 2.16%
Pz III 3.41%
Pz IV 7.76%

Total “Obsolete” Tanks (Panzer I/II) 82.29%

Total “Modern” Tanks (Panzer 35/38/III/IV) 17.71%

For the people who like to put together long campaigns, etc that are a bit more historically accurate rather than buying all Pz38T
While it is a great idea it’s a mammoth task & varies by theatre. For WWII just get a copy of the rarity factors from Advanced Squad Leader or similar. Setting up a few battles with AI purchase to see what it buys is not perfect but probably closer than what most people buy.