Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
what about the future? - Page 23 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Private

toasterbot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what about the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZip View Post
Yes, the Something Awful forum is a terrible place and nobody posting in this thread should ever go there. Ever.

It's for your own good, really.
So what is your nick on SA?
Everyone goes AI on turn 2 of a something awful game, it is an agreement they have.
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matryx View Post
Don't let a few poor assumptions and your own short sightedness cut you off from good opponents.
Could we all please stop with the constant hostility towards each other?

---
Edit about the quitting after losing one big battle, that is partly true. It was even mentioned in Lets Play Dom3 somewhere on the SA forum.

Edit2:
Lets plays are great btw. Love that part of SA.

Last edited by Soyweiser; September 4th, 2010 at 12:16 PM..
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterbot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZip View Post
Yes, the Something Awful forum is a terrible place and nobody posting in this thread should ever go there. Ever.

It's for your own good, really.
Everyone goes AI on turn 2 of a something awful game, it is an agreement they have.
Sorry what?
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually a number of the Something Awful games have the "no AI" rule enforced.
Going AI is automatically backed out and notifies the person running the game so they can decide to let it go thru or look for a sub. But Id chalk up the recent flood of going AI mostly to the recent flood of new players getting into MP too soon IMHO

In general, the most serious games by the most serious gamers for Dom3 are found on Sombers forum and irc channel. Thats a good place to find such games.
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Private

darkchampion3d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterbot View Post
Quote:

Sorry what?
Right. Then whoever's AI lasts the longest is considered the winner.
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchampion3d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Quote:
Something Awful?
That's where that's hosted, yes. Something Awful has always seemed like a terrible forum to me. You have to pay to join? And then wade through a gigantic megathread for everything dominions-related? What a nightmare, to have all your game conversation and newbie questions all mixed together.
Yes Something Awful is terrible. The megathread is a terrible idea and all of the posters are bad posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
Quote:
Something Awful?
no... they're dom3 crowd is horrible, and their multiplayer games are full of leavers and wankers... this goes without saying but subs are completely out of the question over there, same goes with fighting until the end.
Yeah there is basically an agreement over there that whoever loses a battle goes AI immediately and may not ask for a sub. Also they are literally wankers and will talk about it in their chat along with hyperbuttes and being terrible at everything, especially dom3.
Mm... all I was commenting on was the megathread, not the actual players. Personally, I need more organization than that. I can imagine what it would be like refreshing this forum when I woke up and finding I had 10 new pages to read through, with who knows how many of them I'd find having anything I was interested in reading about. And I admin lots of games so that would get trying very quickly. I'm not quite sure why you took that as an attack on your community over there. I am not so shortsighted as to attack people I've never met or spoken to about the game. The only person I've spoken to from SA is TheDemon, and he seems a decent enough player. So... yeah, I have no idea where this post is coming from, sorry.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brooks View Post
Yes, maybe, but I don't even allow my child to talk to me this way. Next week we will start rewriting some of the forum rules here. These forums (our home) will be a kinder, gentler place.

We have never had this kind of discourse in our forums until Dominions 3. We realize this is a small group out of the many thousands that visit here each year. We don't understand it. But we won't put up with it anymore. You are more than welcome to disagree with us, to discuss what you think of our policies. To have intelligent debates. You just won't be allowed to attack us (or others) here. This will be a kinder, gentler place.
And here I was trying to actually be nice, going out of my way trying to be honest while at the same time dodging that unpredictable banhammer with toungue twisting cunning linguistics.

Repression got you into this situation, more repression will make it worse.

Not only because banning one member upsets others, but also because banning a member here doesn't really remove that person from the community unless the community at large supports the decision (like norfleet etc). If you don't have that support, your ban will just be a minor nuisance when communicating and organizing games. You'll achieve close to nothing, but take the full hit from the anger it causes. Every single person you banned along with sombre is still part of this community, still play in games organized here, still takes part in discussions etc. Either through IRC or dom3mods.

Quote:
Why so? 2010 is shaping up to bring more members to our community than any year since release. The Dominions 3 crowd is growing, not shrinking. Since the sombre ban, we have added more new members than any 6 month period since game release. And that includes a 3 week period when new members were not being let in due to a coding error.
That is great news. I didn't know that, but then I guess there is a recruitment base for the dom3mods fora so might be hope for it to survive. I'll stay around here too if you don't mind, I love the crowd here.

Quote:
If you are looking for a site that will dedicate the bandwidth we do to one game, well, that probably doesn't exist. But there are other Dominions communities. Europe has three (try Cyberstratege in France). The Quarter-to-Three forums has several ongoing threads of dedicated Dominions 3 multiplayer gamers. But no, probably no forum that compares to here (We thought that was the sombre plan. And we were all for it.).
Yes I was looking for a forum with a comparable structure and knowledge base. But I'm glad you are positive to Sombres forum complementing this one, that makes things a lot easier.
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I don't see a problem with having rules about how to act in a social Forum. I also don't see a problem with banning someone who doesn't follow those rules, or acts in a harmful fashion. It's the Internet, and because of the anonymity that offers, social norms require enforcing--the difference between this and real life, is just that it's much easier to enforce them.

This is a gaming Forum, after all--it's not a revolution, or an oppressive regime.
So there's no real emphasis on "charging up Bull Run" in defense of idealogy, on a gaming Forum.

Either one acts in a way that is socially acceptible, and according to the terms of use, or one is penalized for not following through on what they've agreed to do. It's an offered service, after all, rather than being, for instance, a land war, political campaign, or something of moral imperative.

If it really were all that "repressive", I'd have been banned myself, a long time ago.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; September 5th, 2010 at 12:07 AM..
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Thats right. Internet has room for everyone.

Im thrilled that the Sombre forum exists. Now instead of a "change" war, we can have 2 happy sites. This "kinder and gentler place" where new people can ask questions and discuss the game. Play in some fun games.

And Sombre's where serious players can have more serious discussions and play in more serious competitive ladder style games.

As long as everyone has their option for the type of forum they prefer then everything is great.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Thats right. Internet has room for everyone.

Im thrilled that the Sombre forum exists. Now instead of a "change" war, we can have 2 happy sites. This "kinder and gentler place" where new people can ask questions and discuss the game. Play in some fun games.

And Sombre's where serious players can have more serious discussions and play in more serious competitive ladder style games.

As long as everyone has their option for the type of forum they prefer then everything is great.
Err... False dichotomy.

The difference is that on dom3mods, people can say what they mean and not have to worry about the niceness police descending on them. Enforcing 'niceness' rules encourages all sorts of destructive passive-aggressive behavior that is openly nice but the impact is anything but, and this can only be stopped by letting people call BS when they see it. Ie, a community is perfectly capable of enforcing its own standards of behavior, and indeed, when the rules come down against the community, the community will logically feel attacked.

Regardless, dom3mods engages in all the sorts of activity you attribute as being the sole province of this forum. New players can still ask questions (and do, although much of that happens on IRC instead). Fun games still happen (eg, Nostalgia). And non-serious discussion certainly occurs (there's an entire subforum dedicated to it!). The difference is that on the one forum the community determines acceptable behavior, while on the other acceptable behavior is declared from on high.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.