This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM

Private

greasy_old_tanker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Would like to have a deployment zone AND a recon deployment zone say 10-20 hexes forward of the main deployment zone? It will then be possible to build a screen-line. during defense and delay opns and place recon elements forward of the main body.
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road

How about reduced artillery effects in deep sand & snow?
(Although airbursts might be a complication.)

Regards,
Warwick
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick View Post
How about reduced artillery effects in deep sand & snow?
(Although airbursts might be a complication.)

Regards,
Warwick
Sand dune hexes and deep snow hexes reduce arty effects a little already, as do mud hexes.

"Airburst" ammo is simply HE cluster in game terms.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Set up a test game with a custom map using those features and do a bombardment with blast effects on. You will see a reduced blast radius and as well the overall effect on soft targets is less

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Private

BogdanM is on a distinguished road

First of all I'd like to thank the developers for creating such a masterpiece, it really is a game that if you play it once, you'll always come back for more.

I wish my first post wouldn't be a request but there is one situation that troubles me in each and every battle, enemies hiding inside buildings. I couldn't find any unit/tactic to counter this disadvantage. I understand that being invisible its a vital aspect in setting up ambushes and its realistic for the enemy to be invisible to my regular units while being static and not engaging me but specialized units like FOs, snipers or any kind of vehicles with high enough vision(>40) should be able to spot them even if they're hiding.

Maybe not instantly, for eg. my unit should not move for 1-2 turns while looking in that direction or maybe add some kind of special ability...

I don't know if anything can be done and this issue isn't of course a deal breaker but I would like to hear your thoughts regarding this particular inconvenience.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanM View Post
I understand that being invisible its a vital aspect in setting up ambushes and its realistic for the enemy to be invisible to my regular units while being static and not engaging me but specialized units like FOs, snipers or any kind of vehicles with high enough vision(>40) should be able to spot them even if they're hiding.

Maybe not instantly, for eg. my unit should not move for 1-2 turns while looking in that direction or maybe add some kind of special ability...
How long would you need to stare at a properly camouflaged person from distance to reliably recognize him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...illie_suit.JPG

It's realistic that people who are in good hiding and not moving are hard to spot. Let's suppose that you have thermal vision - even then you'd have to spot the tiny area where this person is exposed at your direction. I remember one cold Finnish night, we were among the first batch of infantry that got hands into TI equipment. During the night I many times thought I'd seen some movement behind the trees and rocks, turning my night vision equipment over there just to see nothing at all.

My solution to your problem is to drop enough munitions to the area where I know or suspect the enemy troops to be. Rockets, especially CM, is good for that.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wish my first post wouldn't be a request but there is one situation that troubles me in each and every battle, enemies hiding inside buildings. I couldn't find any unit/tactic to counter this disadvantage. I understand that being invisible its a vital aspect in setting up ambushes and its realistic for the enemy to be invisible to my regular units while being static and not engaging me but specialized units like FOs, snipers or any kind of vehicles with high enough vision(>40) should be able to spot them even if they're hiding.

While I'd tend to agree that ATGMs, tanks, and other such stuff should probably be spotted after a shot or two ... even knowing for certain an infantry squad is in a 50x50m area is hardly the same as having them spotted well enough for aimed direct fire.

FO's really don't pay much attention to anything smaller then a platoon (unless it's shooting at them ).
Since their job is to hit target areas rather then specific targets.
I know this because I use to be one

As to snipers or scouts, yea, they should, and do get a bonus to spot stuff (check the game manual).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:

While I'd tend to agree that ATGMs, tanks, and other such stuff should probably be spotted after a shot or two ... even knowing for certain an infantry squad is in a 50x50m area is hardly the same as having them spotted well enough for aimed direct fire.

FO's really don't pay much attention to anything smaller then a platoon (unless it's shooting at them ).
Since their job is to hit target areas rather then specific targets.
I know this because I use to be one

As to snipers or scouts, yea, they should, and do get a bonus to spot stuff (check the game manual).
Scouts and snipers do not get any specific spotting bonus due to their class.

- If in own formation, they usually have a small experience bonus. Experience counts in spotting. But 3 points is neither here nor there. It may just tip the element over a limit though.

- They tend to be size 0 elements, so can get a hex or 2 closer without themselves being spotted, but usually being able to see size 1 elements fine. (Always provided that you remember to move them 1 hex at most, perhaps on alternate turns if you think defenders are within ~500m. Movement is about the biggest give-away to being spotted.)

Thermal Imaging sights (40+ vision) can spot infantry type elements a few hexes further away than plain vanilla vision as well.

But generally speaking - if you suspect the enemy is in an area, dust it down with arty. Arty is an area fire weapon after all - and delousing is part of it's job description.

Andy
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post

........As to snipers or scouts, yea, they should, and do get a bonus to spot stuff (check the game manual).
You're going to have to check the game manual and tell us where it says that.

What it does say is this

Quote:

Size 0 infantry units can get a hex or 2 closer, so may well notice things the other infantry have not yet seen and that is why some players may feel scouts have special spotting abilities but they do not.

Don
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Corporal

EpoletovSPR is on a distinguished road

In WinSP not so well is visible a relief, to especially beginning players who have not got used to game.

I offer "slope" to display other color (it is On./Off. in preference).
Or somehow differently to facilitate reading map.