.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 5th, 2011, 04:01 AM

Sergeant

Olm is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6 magic, NI, Assimilation mod - Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Well, as you pointed out, the naked ladies do need some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
But I have one question concerning game mechanics:Is it correct that even stone beings like the crusher are petrified by the gorgon?
Yes, monsters with the stone being attribute will still be petrified by the gorgon (and the Aegis, a unique magic item not present in this game). However, they will not be petrified by the Stone Sword (another unique item).
In my opinion stone beings should be immune to the effect. Either they turn to stone which shouldn't bother them or they instantly die, which as lifeless shouldn't bother them either. So what destroys them?
Well, I have to live with the rules as they are.
Quote:
So when fighting the gorgon you want either ranged attacks or high MR units for melee battle.
Yes,I figured that much. But you are quite well protected against ranged and I don't know how to get anything to lets say MR 20. (The Thug had MR 13 and died instantly). I guess I will have to regroup and figure something out.
Old August 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6 magic, NI, Assimilation mod - Running

Quote:
In my opinion stone beings should be immune to the effect. Either they turn to stone which shouldn't bother them or they instantly die, which as lifeless shouldn't bother them either. So what destroys them?
Well, I have to live with the rules as they are.
I see what you're saying and it would hardly be unbalancing to make stone units immune but I also don't think it's moddable and I guess it's WAD since I don't think it's on the bug list. Not really sure of the thematic logic, though. Btw, I ran a quick test and blindness doesn't help either. So even if you can't see the gorgon she'll still get you.

Quote:
Yes,I figured that much. But you are quite well protected against ranged and I don't know how to get anything to lets say MR 20. (The Thug had MR 13 and died instantly). I guess I will have to regroup and figure something out.
Yeah, it was basically 50/50 that your thug would die each time he attacked. When you factor in his poor attack skill I figured the gorgon would survive long enough to kill him. I was actually more worried about your other troops and that you might bring in reinforcements.

As far as thugs equipped for killing her, you could try summoning something like sleepers or bane lords (if you have D access) or even use your recruitable lord wardens. Possibly give them a forged weapon and rainbow armor if you'd like to boost their MR and then have mothers of avalon cast gift of flight so the thugs are attacking while the gorgon is still buffing. You could also use a W random crone to cast quickness on the thugs.
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6 magic, NI, Assimilation mod - Running

I might be a noob (in MP), but I do not have to be educated by my enemy
That just feels like not being taken seriously. And I still hope that you will regret that.
I figured by myself that I have Lord Wardens with MR 16. But thanks for the information about the rainbow armor, didn't know about its MR buff. But its rather weak as armors go.
I have to deal with some Barbarians and a Vampire count for now, but I will come back to you, fear not.
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Sergeant

BTW: If I have a unit with multiple attacks, does it have to check multiple times against petrification.

And your tests, do you do them in a special tool, or do you set up battles in an editor? Or is it just SP games you use for testing?
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Major General

Quote:
I might be a noob (in MP), but I do not have to be educated by my enemy
That just feels like not being taken seriously.
No offense intended; just being conversational. Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'm telling you much you don't already know. And even aside from that, I'm not telling you anything about about my strategy or my plans. As far as the gorgon goes, you still need to catch her in order to use any of this. And the gorgon is just one unit - I've got some other plans in mind that of course I haven't volunteered any info on.

Quote:
BTW: If I have a unit with multiple attacks, does it have to check multiple times against petrification.
Pretty sure each attack generates a check.

Quote:
And your tests, do you do them in a special tool, or do you set up battles in an editor? Or is it just SP games you use for testing?
I'll just set up a game on small map with two or more nations (no AI nations as that would be annoying). Then I'll recruit or summon the units needed for each side and script the battle as normal. If I want to run the test several times (perhaps with small changes each time) I'll backup the game before the battle occurs so I don't have to set everything up again. Here's a link to the debug mod, though I haven't actually used it. Looks like it might be a few versions old so spells added since then would still need to be set to 0.

Last edited by Valerius; August 5th, 2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Sergeant

Samhain is on a distinguished road

I'm packing for my vacation now. So, I suppose it is also time to request that the hosting interval be changed to 48 hours at least until I get back on the 13th.

As my turns don't take very long right now, it is mostly just a matter of internet access which may be as easy as using my 3G bridge or as cumbersome as heading into town to use the Wifi connection at the library. In any case, 48 hours should be doable.

If for some reason I stale once. Don't worry yet. Help should be on the way. I have a friend lined up ready to step in for me if for some reason I can't connect to the internet at all. If I stale twice, that likely means I can't get in contact with him either and will likely not get a turn in before the 14th.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM

Major General

We've actually been on 48 hour hosting for the past 10 turns but it hasn't been noticeable since we've still kept up a 24 hour pace.

If your friend isn't on the forums please send me their email address. If you want, I can keep an eye on the server and if I don't see your turn I'll assume you don't have Internet access and switch it to their email. However, if they don't submit a turn how would you like to proceed? We can pause the game or slow it down so you only have a couple of stales or look for a short term sub.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:11 AM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road

Well that gorgon seems a little bit overpowered.

Now I see why you want max level 6 research. So nobodoy can have any SC's, (except you with you invincible gorgon that killes 50 units every round
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Sergeant

Wow, great battle. But I wonder how that would have ended with 20 mages casting Mind Burn. MR 17 is not that much. And just a hint to Arco: Antimagic (MR +4 to all allies) should drastically reduce your losses due to petrification.
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road

I caught that gorgon in action as well. All I can say is: Wow.