.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM

Private

RegnorVex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite "Indie" Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
I'll recommend Imperialism 2.
The only flaw imo is that the battles are not really the best (and not even playable in MP).
That, and the instant teleporting of troops. But it's still one of my all-time favorites.
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM

Private

And by the way, I just finished playing a few games of Laser Squad Nemesis with my wife. It's as fun now as it was then. Even more so now, probably, with the introduction of 2 new races since I last played. And they've added a web interface to handle the email component. You just click on the web buttons to process and send files, no fiddling with attachments.
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

Nexus war eh? Does that mean that that's Agema from Team Laser Explosion?! It's Bang/Dethnutz/I'm an engineer... small world eh?

Regarding independent games, Mount&Blade is a great medieval mounted/army combat game with an active modding community. It's been in development for years and keeps getting better. Demo lets you get to level 6 before having to buy.

Transcendence is a completely free action space roguelike developed by a single (awesome) person who has added tons of modding support over the various iterations. It's basically a finished game, although he'd like to add some extra content on the end and frequently adds new content to what's already out there. There's an active modding community there, too (check out the enhanced weapons mod if you try it, definitely worth a download).

I second Weird Worlds: Adventures in Infinite Space as a great game. I love the fact that it really does only take 10-30 minutes to play through a game once you get the hang of it. It's like candy.
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:30 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
Mandatory plug for Dwarf Fortress.
mandatory seconding of the plug for DF. also, must note that I've heard starchamber is favored amongst dominions players, but I just really can't get to like card based games.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, Mount and Blade is very good.

EDIT: oh... I'm about 15 min too late with M&B. Wow, transcendence looks slick. It reminds me now of another indie-outerspace-roguelike: Flatspace.

Last edited by Omnirizon; June 24th, 2009 at 12:38 AM..
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Private

I just wanted to add a note to thank whoever it was that mentioned Laser Squad Nemesis. I am hopelessly hooked again and bought several subscriptions for the family. Simple game on its face like chess is simple ( ), full of strategic and tactical depth. If anyone wants to fire up a game, send Regnor Vex (two words) a challenge.
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Sergeant

StrictlyRockers is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed Battle for Wesnoth. Possibly the best free strategy game out there. And it is fantasy based!
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

the first public release of 3069 was made just hours ago!

it's based upon the futuristic roguelike '3059'. gameplay seems very similar too. I like 3069 because it has qualities that I'm using in the dominions roguelike, namely non-tile based world and different sized stuff (i.e. an elephant doesn't occupy the same space as a roach).

get it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/free3069/
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Sergeant

DakaSha is on a distinguished road

id love to try laser squad nemesis but the thing is:

dominions is hands down my fav game(and believe me i have played ALOOOOOT)... the only thing that sucks is that singleplayer is worthless and MP is only done turn wise(a reason im going for the 1vs1 league :P ). I need something to fill the cracks between my turns without starting a buttload of MP games and getting frustrated and stalling/quitting.

laser squad is sadly also played like dominions though in MP

Check out my first map: Sha Bay
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Sergeant

DakaSha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
the first public release of 3069 was made just hours ago!

it's based upon the futuristic roguelike '3059'. gameplay seems very similar too. I like 3069 because it has qualities that I'm using in the dominions roguelike, namely non-tile based world and different sized stuff (i.e. an elephant doesn't occupy the same space as a roach).

get it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/free3069/
ugh. thanks ill try. big roguelike fan here

Check out my first map: Sha Bay
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Corporal

Ishamoridin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hEad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishamoridin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hEad View Post

I don't really see any differences between the two versions of the quote except that one takes 30 words to say it and the other 23?
The difference, as I see it, is that the first translation precludes battling with monsters on the premise that you will become one, while the second merely warns of the danger that this might happen.

There is no immutable truth in the word lest from the first definition. Indulging the activities of monsters raises the possibility of becoming one yet, it would be the capacities of the individual not the activity itself, which would finally decide who would become a monster and who wouldn't.

What I perceive both quotes to be clearly saying is that if you don't want to face the possibility of becoming a monster, don't play with them.

Both definitions say this, to me at least, by implication - one just says it with less words.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I dug out my old Imperialism disk and gave it a whirl for old times sake - 4 hours went by, be great if someone would remake these games.
Well explicit meaning is explicit, and implicit meaning is implicit

Thanks for the welcome.