.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. Game Over. Supplicants Triumph!

Many thanks, Septimius, for the game organization. It was a cool idea but, sadly, there were some obstacles that prevented this game from being really fun and exciting. But still, thanks to everybody.
Is anybody interested in the archive of our turns?
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. Game Over. Supplicants Triumph!

Thanks Septimus for the game's organization.
Yes Ano I would be interested by the archive of your turns...
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, here it is
Am waiting for Septimius to open the forums
Attached Files
File Type: zip NAV.ZIP (5.46 MB, 50 views)
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

The team forums have been opened for public viewing:

http://noobsvets.silverforum.net/viewforum.php?f=7

And keep an eye out for game 3, due out fall 2010.

NaVIII will hopefully feature among other things:

• New and more balanced custom pretenders for each team
  • Faction specific spells, heros, and magic sites
  • A single independent nation free to do as they please
  • Gandalf's trademark GENOCIDE AI (with improvements)
  • And much more...

I've set up a forum for updates and info on the upcoming game. You may also provide comments, suggestions, and those interested may pre-reserve a position.

It can be found at the link below and via link from the opening post:

http://noobsvets.silverforum.net/viewforum.php?f=19

Thanks for playing. I learned a lot and had great fun. Especially since it was my first time playing Agartha.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; July 11th, 2010 at 06:05 PM..
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

After having read the Usurpers' forums, a few comments.
First Fires From Afar were because we suspected BL was aiming for Const 8 and the Chalice which we could not give you. So, when you started reaching 2800 research (8th level) and we clearly saw we couldn't reach you, we decided to try killing your mages. We saw a Kinnara when everything was ready for the Fires so, obviously you were not aiming for Const, but still decided to fire.
The latter 10 casts were just a demonstration of power after you have officially declared war by attacking Jotun capital siegers. I saw BL lost a lot and hopefully Mictlan and Pyth lost something too. We were planning to summon elemental kings but decided to hesitate with it
In the nearest two turns we were planning a massive teleporting attack on a death spec province you conquered with cutting off retreat and after that - a fortress there with a Blood spell so that you could not retake it.

p.s. Password for all our nations is "sos" (Abbreviation for Supplicants of Set)
p.p.s. Also, In case you're interested in our strategies, read Strategic plans for our team section of the forums. The most things were played just as supposed, the biggest difference being that I didn't realize how much space is covered with the AI's

Last edited by ano; July 11th, 2010 at 06:53 PM..
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Sept, Squirrel, Algae, Willburn, Numahar Ano and all...

Can we kill the archives.... I'd rather just forget this = ).
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Private

Cammorak is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all. It was interesting. Alas, it seems I was on vacation when the game was called. Playing Ashdod was fun and I feel like this game was a good foot-in-the-door for team games.

Thanks, all. Congrats to the Usurpers.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all. Sorry for staling last turns, Septimius - I had some still unexplained glitch at my home computer, so without net access.
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Just tying up some loose ends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
I would go back to the Noobs vs. Vets format. Noobs and vets is woosy.

Of course, Sept would have to be a vet now.
Thanks for your input Ling. The NvV format can be a viable format, and I know many vets feel more comfortable playing with players of the same experience level (and of course love smiting noobs!). The format did have some issues though, such as finding a correct ratio between the numbers of vets and noobs on each team (and some communication problems with the large teams). Balancing the natural advantage vets have in a matchup between noobs is difficult at best. My solution was to use a 2 noobs to 1 vet ratio, but considering the vets got beat in 2 out of 3 games, a lower ratio might be needed. Even a 1.5:1 or 1:1 ratio has so many other variables (player experience, skill, map setup) to balance, it can be a devilish job. But I support anyone who wants to try it.

I have actually been asking Rdonj to admin a NvV reunion game, where former noobs face off against their old nemesis' to prove their worth. Still be unbalanced experience wise, but not as bad.

Considering the divisiveness that already exists/has existed in the community between various factions, the good thing about NaV, is it brings both experienced players and noobs together, to work and play together.

I certainly am not a vet yet. An intermediate at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgaeNymph View Post
How about noobs vs intermediates vs vets? I'm not a noob but I still don't see myself as a vet.
Sounds like a fun and certainly a possible idea. Again, the challenge will be balancing the experience gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
Many thanks, Septimius, for the game organization. It was a cool idea but, sadly, there were some obstacles that prevented this game from being really fun and exciting.
Well the greatest obstacle in my opinion was the loss of the Sanguinarium team, as the game was designed for 4 human teams. Still we did the best we could, decided to press on, and I think had at least an overall enjoyable game, and certainly learned a great deal.

As for the AI, it will be tweaked in game 3. It will be more evil in other ways, but PD, production capacity, and starting armies will be reduced (no more mammoths). It will still play an important strategic role, but not to the extent it did in game 3. The combination of the indy player and the bonuses the teams will have, should not make this an issue.

I am looking forward to reading Ano's team forum (though the turn threads appear to be in the Cyrillic alphabet). I had actually gotten tired of C'tis sitting back and sipping cool drinks while we fought hordes of AI Man, so I devised a plot to force them into a fight with the AI. Too bad we did'nt go through with it. You can read about it here: http://noobsvets.silverforum.net/vie...php?f=12&t=395

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Can we kill the archives....
Sorry Chris, I had assumed since I heard no objections, that the archiving would be OK. If you prefer I not archive your teams forums, I can remove it or give you a chance to edit it before making it public. I would like a chance to read it first though. I think in the long run though, the overall benefits outweight the negatives.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; July 12th, 2010 at 04:52 AM..
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

I read about your "super-plan" yesterday, Sept. Obviously, we wouldn't reattack the province if you or Atlantis attacked it and it had borders with Man. It's just too simple. We would attack with a Golem of a Boots-of-the-Planes-Wielding wight mage. Also, I doubt it would be too easy for you to take it as there have always been amazons scripted to attack-leech-leech-leech. I don't know if they've been there the turn you planned it, though.
C'tissian dominion played its role perfectly as a "wall" and though I had more aggressive plans for C'tis initially, I think they played their role well as a research monster. And a blood monster as well, though it was not planned. We had about 250 or more slaves the last turn.
Machaka was a fetish and forge monster (after we found a const bonus site with Bakemono Sorcerer enslaved by Ermor the things became even easier)
and Shin and Ermor were aggressive and you could perfectly see this from the graphs.