.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 14th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Disk Ukraine 2021(?)

So, in case you've missed it all, there's a HUGE military buildup going on in the Ukraine and on Russia's borders near Ukraine.

According to a Ukrainian journalist, a naval order has been issued by Russia banning ships from foreign countries in the Kerch Strait heading for the Sea of Azov from April 24 due to military exercises.

New: Current & former officials say there are no geographic restrictions on the deployment of the Javelin missiles Ukraine purchased from the U.S., and argue that Kyiv would be justified in moving the weapons to the frontlines amid Russia's buildup

Russian Minister of Defence Shoigu: "two armies and three VDV formations were deployed to the western borders of Russia to carry out combat training tasks as part of a combat readiness test." (RIA)

Ukraine's military intelligence (testimony to the parliament): Russia will complete its troop deployment at Ukraine's borders around 20 April, with up to 110 thousand troops.

For context: it's almost half of active personnel in Ukraine's entire Armed Forces

Signs are going up in the Russian camps that roughly translate to "Hard training makes the combat easy".

The 559th Fighter Bomber Aviation Regiment, equipped with SU-34 jets, has been deployed to the Black Sea region.

There's videos of everything being moved around -- there's an Ukrainian convoy near Mariupol on Youtube this morning with T-64B1Ms, BTR-3s, BTR-4 and MT-LB-ZU-23s in the convoy. People seem to think it's the Azov Regiment.

I know there's no scenario here (yet), but it's a placeholder thread. I'll try to have something, but I am juggling a lot of plates now.

Last edited by MarkSheppard; April 14th, 2021 at 06:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old April 14th, 2021, 05:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

To give you an idea of the equippage of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), here's a few shots from a concert given for 1 AC (DPR) troops a few days ago:

Things to note: Others have noticed the lack of fancy optics (IR etc) for the BMPs, and lack of anti-RPG grates for the BMPs; giving you an idea of the level of tech quality Donetsk People's Republic troops have.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 08:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Disk Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

This is a simple assault scenario. I haven't playtested it that throroughly; so don't invest too much of your time to it. If you're having difficulties; just quit and let me know if it's too hard or whatnot.

Quote:
Operatsiya Polina, Feb 2022

Russia Assault
_____vs.
Ukraine Defend

Date: February 22, 2022

===========================

This is a future-what-if scenario.

With the closing of the Beijing Winter Olympics on 20 February 2022, there was no longer any reason for Russia to maintain the pretexts behind their buildup along the border with Ukraine. Accordingly, at midnight on 22 February 2022, Operation Polina was launched.

This scenario is set several hours into the invasion. The 155th Naval Infantry Brigade, having pushed past Ukrainian Border Guards several hours earlier, reaches the first lines of major Ukrainian resistance just as the sun begins to rise.

Here, the Russian Marines' motto of "There, Where We Go, There is Victory!" would be tested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 950_Op_Politsyia.zip (143.5 KB, 380 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old February 8th, 2022, 02:44 PM

Private

Crueldwarf is on a distinguished road

For whatever reason I do not have victory locations displayed or placed in this scenario.
Old February 8th, 2022, 05:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crueldwarf View Post
For whatever reason I do not have victory locations displayed or placed in this scenario.

I knew I was forgetting something.
Old February 8th, 2022, 06:33 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
This is a simple assault scenario. I haven't playtested it that throroughly; so don't invest too much of your time to it. If you're having difficulties; just quit and let me know if it's too hard or whatnot.

Quote:
Operatsiya Polina, Feb 2022

Russia Assault
_____vs.
Ukraine Defend

Date: February 22, 2022

===========================

This is a future-what-if scenario.

With the closing of the Beijing Winter Olympics on 20 February 2022, there was no longer any reason for Russia to maintain the pretexts behind their buildup along the border with Ukraine. Accordingly, at midnight on 22 February 2022, Operation Polina was launched.

This scenario is set several hours into the invasion. The 155th Naval Infantry Brigade, having pushed past Ukrainian Border Guards several hours earlier, reaches the first lines of major Ukrainian resistance just as the sun begins to rise.

Here, the Russian Marines' motto of "There, Where We Go, There is Victory!" would be tested.

The Ukrainian ATGMs are doing an amazing job of stopping the Russian's dead cold, three run-throughs, and three times I have lost more APC/Armor to Javelins, etc...than I think I have seen happen before.

Also, the onboard artillery stays in a set fire pattern for several turns and doesn't show up in the bombardment artillery control window to allow me to adjust things forward or pick new areas for them. I have to move them to regain control.

Snowdrifts are a ton of fun at stopping things as well since trying to keep the woods between the armor and the ATGM teams sounded like a grand idea...and then I meet snowdrifts.
Old February 8th, 2022, 08:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
The Ukrainian ATGMs are doing an amazing job of stopping the Russian's dead cold, three run-throughs, and three times I have lost more APC/Armor to Javelins, etc...than I think I have seen happen before.
I might need to "dial back" the Javelin teams a bit, whether in reducing their numbers or their morale/experience...or adding more Russian artillery.

Quote:
Also, the onboard artillery stays in a set fire pattern for several turns and doesn't show up in the bombardment artillery control window to allow me to adjust things forward or pick new areas for them. I have to move them to regain control.
That's my fault. I tried programming in a pre-programmed barrage to try and keep the Ukrainians suppressed. I guess do a turn 0 Bombardment and then leave it up to the player?
Old February 8th, 2022, 09:48 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the need to reduce their numbers, the morale/experience side might be better to go with.

The Russian artillery...tricky, having them blast away is good, but not being able to adjust once you get close to the trenches and such, yeah I am not big on Friendly Fire.

Maybe split the SP Arty into some onboard and some offboard with the offboard being the continuous firing set.
Old February 9th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Private

Crueldwarf is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough I had entirely opposite experience with Ukrainian ATGM teams when I started scenario as Ukrainians. They launched like a dozen Javelins in op-fires during Russian first turn and hit only three times. Killing two BMP-3s and lightly damaging another.
Old February 9th, 2022, 02:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crueldwarf View Post
Funnily enough I had entirely opposite experience with Ukrainian ATGM teams when I started scenario as Ukrainians. They launched like a dozen Javelins in op-fires during Russian first turn and hit only three times. Killing two BMP-3s and lightly damaging another.
That could be the result of movement or suppression before opfire...... OR......the games random number generator playing "GOTCHA" with you.

Build a simple sceanrio. You have one tank, the AI gets 1 ATG or ATGM depending on the year

Deploy the AT gun / ATGM team so that it has clear LOF to a roadway say about 6-8 hexes away from it with an ATG and maybe a bit further with the ATGM team.

Place the tank on the road just out of LOS of the AT gun

Save the scenario

Start the scenario...... move your tank down that road.

In a test I ran a few times, each time generated a different result
  • one was a miss
  • one was a kill, nobody got out
  • One tripped the Smoke dischargers
  • one was a kill, everybody got out
  • one was a miss on the first shot and a kill on the second and only 3 crew bailed
  • one was hit with one * damage
  • The last time I ran it I took a different path. The ATG fired and hit no effect, then the tank and the ATG got into an exchange of shots that ended that turn with no effect on either. At the start of the next turn it was more exchange of shots but the tank eventually scored a kill.............c'est le guerre

It would be very, very rare to replay a turn and have the same thing happen over and over. That was the way the game was designed from the start and we have reinforced that behaviour so two people doing the same thing getting different results is normal.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; February 9th, 2022 at 02:56 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: