.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Private

Drok'Slit is on a distinguished road
Computer Steam Greenlight

Hello. I've played Dominions 3 on and off since it has come out and have always suggested it to friends to buy. Lots of them were interested but the fact they had to order it online and also the price tag on it really turned them off to the game.

Now just recently Steam released this feature where game developers can submit their game on this and have it liked or disliked by people with steam accounts whether they support it being on steam or not. I always loved this game and wished more people bought it so I could play multiplayer with other people more easily.

I simply want more people to know about this great game and think this is an opportunity to make this game more well known and help it live on and maybe even expand the modding community. I hope shrapnel will see this and take it into consideration. I want to help in any way I can to spread the word of this amazing game.

Here's a link to what exactly Steam Greenlight is: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/a...65&section=faq
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Steam Greenlight

unfortunately shrapnel have no interest in marketing the game any further, people have suggested this sort of thing in the past and they've always responded with pithy excuses about how niche their market is. they say the same thing whenever someone suggests lowering the price of a game released in 2006.

This Machine Kills Fascists
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Steam turned down Illwinter on their new game Conquest of Elysium 3. So it might help there. Maybe Steam didnt know who they were turning down so this campaign might help

As far as price drops, maybe Dom2 or Dom1. Heck Conquest of Elysium 2 is one of the free download games from Shrapnel.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:26 AM

Private

Drok'Slit is on a distinguished road

yeah I don't know if there is a way to contact them directly but this is the best alternative I could find. Hopefully this is taken into consideration to breath new life into the game. I seriously would love to see the modding community for this game spring up again and I think Steam distribution/advertisement would be the answer. If anyone knows a way to get this message to the guys behind this then please help. Thank you all for taking the time to read my topic
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Steam turned down Illwinter on their new game Conquest of Elysium 3. So it might help there. Maybe Steam didnt know who they were turning down so this campaign might help

As far as price drops, maybe Dom2 or Dom1. Heck Conquest of Elysium 2 is one of the free download games from Shrapnel.
That said Dominions 3 is a ton better game than Conquest of Elysium 3. I am not surprised at all Steam didn't accept CoE3. It's a cool concept but a very flawed game (I haven't played in ages though, but I doubt patches overhauled pretty much everything.) Though while I believe Dominions 3 would have fair chance of being accepted by Steam, the current pricing is so ludicrous that there is no way that would happen.

*edited out*

Last edited by Edi; September 4th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Let's keep things civilized, shall we?
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

@Drok'Slit consider it passed on. And yes they do appreciate efforts like this from the community.

@Elmokki Isnt that what this effort is about? To convince Steam. There are great games on Steam. And there are cheap games on Steam. There are even some great cheap games on Steam. And altho some people may think that defines Steam it does not seem true. There are games on there which are more expensive than Dom3, and there are games on there which are crappier than Coe3.

So maybe just telling Steam that they should look past their initial impressions of those games, and there there is a dedicated following, might be enough to get ours listed there also.

Altho personally Im more interested in whether they are listed on Amazon.
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Isnt that what this effort is about? To convince Steam.
concvincing steam won't do anything if shrapnel don't allow further disribution.

This Machine Kills Fascists
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Im not sure of the particulars on how things like that work. Maybe Steam could still sell it but just no going on sale.
Dom3 is on Amazon

Besides, it would still help CoE3 get on there
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
There are games on there which are more expensive than Dom3
There are games on steam more expensive than 55 dollars? I'm gonna have to ask you to show me one. iirc steam has a max of 50 bucks.

Edit:

Right, after doing my own homework, I see that call of duty: black ops 2 is 60 bucks. Link: http://store.steampowered.com/search...rt_order=DESC&
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

Last edited by Soyweiser; September 1st, 2012 at 04:52 PM..
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

More than that. Not a lot but there is more
http://store.steampowered.com/search...&category1=998

But that wasnt the point. The point I was making is that the impression of Steam some people have of a bargain basement site. As if all of the games are under $20 and often go on sale for 10 or 5 or 2. Its not that way for all of the games. It doesnt look like Steam is turning down Illwinter based on price or quality. I think they just dont know Illwinter