.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM

Corporal

megawidget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [in progress]

Hey guys, did anyone else stale? I didn't actually stale because I submitted a preliminary turn -- I tend to have second thoughts and resubmit turns -- but upon trying to submit a turn that actually had *battle orders* for a change I got hit by this:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...&postcount=165

If nobody seriously objects I would like to roll back the game to the previous turn and resubmit. If people object, then I'm frankly even more screwed -- to be honest, I don't need artificial handicaps at this point.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I have heard a lot of more experienced players ay that roll backs can potentially screw up the game with random bugs.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM

Corporal

jotwebe is on a distinguished road

Go ahead on my account... although I'll rather miss the permanent +50 gold I got this turn *sniffle*
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

I second samoht. I'm not opposed. I know that is frustrating and I don't want any advantages from things like that. However I have heard the same things on boards with experienced players that rollback doesn't appear all that safe and reliable. Feeling from others seems to be never rollback but if we do I'm not going to complain or fault anyone.
Cheers.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM

Private

Aderion is on a distinguished road

Actually I would feel rather unconfortable with a rollback. Especially, since we are currently engaged in military actions and you now have already seen my planed moves, giving you a serious advantage which could turn to a very serious handicap for me.

On the other hand, I understand that it sucks for you that you could not submit your optimized orders which might have made a difference or not. Nevertheless I would object to a rollback.

However, if all others agree to a rollback, I will live with it...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM

Corporal

Adam J is on a distinguished road

I'm more or less neutral on the rollback- personally I'm in favor of it but that's only because of bad luck, not a particularly good justification. However I can certainly understand Aderion's concerns and believe if he objects we shouldn't do the rollback- I suspect his birdmen seriously benefit from the element of surprise.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

In another game. Someone referred to them as flying rats ...However seeing as I'm playing Caelum in another EA game, I'm going to be most respectful to the Eagle Kings!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM

Corporal

Adam J is on a distinguished road

Mega widget- I presume you would simply submit the rejected orders? Aderion has very valid concerns that you would benefit from the rollback from seeing his military actions. If the orders you submit were from before the turn processed that might alleviate his concerns.
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:22 AM

Corporal

megawidget is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam J View Post
Mega widget- I presume you would simply submit the rejected orders? Aderion has very valid concerns that you would benefit from the rollback from seeing his military actions. If the orders you submit were from before the turn processed that might alleviate his concerns.
I wasn't intending to cheat, and I haven't seen the latest turn yet.

However, upon consideration I have decided not to roll back, as that screws everyone but me over given that they'll know other people's moves. Yeah, it means I'm really really really ****ed. I had a start worse than Arcoscephale (we talked, and he had a pretty bad one, but he was also less cautious expanding than me and paid for it) so Dominions 3 hates me, and I guess Llamaserver hates me as well. I'll live. Well, more likely not. But I shouldn't penalize everyone else for this.
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawidget View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam J View Post
I wasn't intending to cheat, and I haven't seen the latest turn yet.

However, upon consideration I have decided not to roll back, as that screws everyone but me over given that they'll know other people's moves. Yeah, it means I'm really really really ****ed. I had a start worse than Arcoscephale (we talked, and he had a pretty bad one, but he was also less cautious expanding than me and paid for it) so Dominions 3 hates me, and I guess Llamaserver hates me as well. I'll live. Well, more likely not. But I shouldn't penalize everyone else for this.
Eh. It happens. The second game I ever played (this game only being the third) I started in a corner almost right next to two nations who were allied and proceeded to push me into my capital and keep me there from about the middle of the second year until I was eliminated. I think in some respects Dominions is a lot like Dwarf Fortress where half the fun is seeing how you're going to lose this time.