.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old December 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road
Default problems with beam sweeping?

my favorite point defense weapon is the SQP, because its always on and it moves pretty quickly. Other beam weapons are good for this too, but I have noticed some problems. Maybe its a feature, im not sure.

when a (targetable) projectile runs into a beam, it dies. reliably. when the beam is pointed straight at a projectile (and is on target) the projectile dies. but when a beam is swept across a projectile, sometimes the projectile gets through.

This is especially true with submunitions from a multi-missile-launcher. those little mini-missiles seem to always slip through the cracks when i sweep a beam over them. I can wipe a SQP beam or a Tac-ray over them several times, and only shoot down one or two.

I can think of several metagame reasons why this might be intended behavior. the same reasons that beams are not flagged as point defense weapons: theyre not designed to target things that small, space is 3 dimensional and missiles are hard to hit when a beam is moving rapidly, etc, etc.

of course, if beams were SUPPOSED to hit missiles and submunitions when they are being swept around, then I thought I'd bring it up.

also, in a semi-related inquiry, would it be possible for an item to add a flag to other items? for example, a targeting computer that added the point defense ability to certain weapons? perhaps certain weapons could be point defense capable, but it would require the presense of another component to activate the ability?
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Private

Flashfire is on a distinguished road
Default Re: problems with beam sweeping?

How are you "beam sweeping" mine just fire on their own at what they want to fire at?
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Corporal

Shadowcat is on a distinguished road

Bring up the combat context menu (NOT on a ship). Select "fire". Pause the game. Move the mouse. Select "fire" again.
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Private

ZylonBane is on a distinguished road

That sounds utterly tedious, bordering on "exploit" territory.
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Corporal

Shadowcat is on a distinguished road

In that case, just have someone constantly spray ahead of the target area with a Micrometeorite Gun. That's usually pretty effective, and is basically a fire-and-forget solution if you are standing back and pounding with long-range weaponry...
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

Yes, using the fire command to do point defense is essentially an exploit. I thought about removing it from the game when we put in the auto-repair of disabled thrusters (the fire command was originally added to help if you got stuck with a disabled deep hunter)... but it might've caused a mutiny
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Private

TaoLibra is on a distinguished road

Well, technically, issuing commands while Paused is a pseudo-exploit too, isn't it?

Not that I care. I figure the enemy is being run by the computer, which has the advantage of instantaneous commands to all of its ships; so issuing commands to all of my ships while Paused only levels the playing field.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
TaoLibra said:
Not that I care. I figure the enemy is being run by the computer, which has the advantage of instantaneous commands to all of its ships; so issuing commands to all of my ships while Paused only levels the playing field.
It's not that you are issuing commands while paused, it's that you are using the beam weapons to act as point defense.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Private

TaoLibra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
It's not that you are issuing commands while paused, it's that you are using the beam weapons to act as point defense.
Yes, thank you: I understood what was being said. I mentioned issuing commands while paused as an example of another kind of "exploit" that I consider similar, the difference being that it's less likely to be called an "exploit."

I don't see anything at all wrong with using beam weapons for point defense. In fact, it's far more plausible to destroy a projectile with a beam than to use one projectile to strike another, since beams have (comparatively) no travel time. In the Real World, the most advanced anti-projectile toy that anybody has is not a projectile but a laser — the MTHEL (Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser), which is capable of destroying not only missiles, but even artillery shells in flight.

So I really don't care if using beam weapons as point defense is an "exploit." It should be permissible anyway, as it makes more sense.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Private

Prometheus is on a distinguished road

I've modded myself a dedicated laser point defence, however, it only works well if you have a decent targetting computer.
Its a shame that you can't mod weapons to always be good without a targetting computer,