.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default WRAPPED MAPS AVAILABLE

OK I know there are a few wrapped maps but people apparently want more.

What Im about to offer is NOT a "final product" so hold off on any flaming insulting comments please. I have whipped off a directory of playable wrapped maps. That means that they have no "edges" or "corners" for people to abuse.
To view the maps and decide which one you want, go here..
http://www.Dom3Minions.com/RandomMap...ll_Wrapped.htm
and then to download the one you want, go here and look for the zip file.
http://www.Dom3Minions.com/RandomMaps/Small_Wrapped/

Take note that this is also NOT saying that I have provided you with all of these wrapped maps. They are from ParadoxHarbingers MapGen which is available in this forum. They have been available for awhile now. But his project needs more eyes and attention on it so feel free to grab his program and do your own. Or generate and then improve on them.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: WRAPPED MAPS AVAILABLE

Eventually I will get up a page where clicking the view will lead you to the zip file like I had in the Dom2Minions pages.
http://www.dom3minions.com/~dominion...andomMaps.html
Which by the way, still work but they arent as pretty as Dom3 generated ones, and they dont even have the plus of wrapping.

Eventually ParadoxHarbinger will fix a few things that will make the job easier. Such as.... I had to write a script to change the name of map showing in Dom3's menu to match the file name. PH's generate had them all showing up as PHMAP so I had to sed 's/PHMAP/'"$fyle"'/'

I also sed'd the descriptions from "Generated by ParadoxHarbinger's MapGen" to "Wrapped map. 180 land and 20 water. Generated by ParadoxHarbinger's MapGen".

The command in PH's MapGen to mark off the NoStarts doesnt seem to be working for me. I should eventually dig up one of the many wonderful routines for that and include it in. Or maybe one of the people already on the system? (lch? ballbarian? alneyan? arralen? xietor? pvk? psitticine? nerfix? nagot? zen? or others?)

If anyone wants to grab one of those maps, improve it, upload it as their own work.. that is PERFECTLY OK with me. I have NO problem with using one of these quickies as a base for your hard work.
PLEASE DO.

Eventually I hope to get this auto-generating a new batch each day the way the Dom2Minions site did (and actually still does since Ive never bothered to turn it off). Along with other map sizes, variations, quirks such as NI or SemiRand or Chaos or Scenario. Also have it auto-create the zips, the thumbnail view, the webpage updates. (have you gotten a clue as to how lazy I am yet? the only way its going to happen is if I can completely automate it then forget how I did it)

Eventually, way eventually, I might bother to make this page pretty. And link it properly to my website. And do lots of other no-hack grunt work that a proper domain should do. But dont hold your breath for it. (any wannabe webmasters looking for a /home?)

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 15th, 2008 at 01:44 PM..
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

For those who have trouble reaching my site (does China still have problems reaching Dom3minions.com?) I will attach a couple that I think came out pretty good. Im still trying to figure out the settings for the generator but these arent too choppy I guess.

Gandalf Parker
Attached Files
File Type: zip 544490-Small_006.zip (670.2 KB, 113 views)
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

And another one as an attachment..
Attached Files
File Type: zip 544493-Small_009.zip (675.7 KB, 93 views)
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Eventually I may also offer these for games I host. Im thinking about fixing one of them up for the next MID's game I have (8-15 players).

OK I have done my usual bit. Sparked the subject and hoping that someone runs further with it. Here is the MapGen script I used in case someone wants to play with the color settings or any of the other parameters. Maybe figure out how to get continents and oceans out of it.

Code:

border: yes ;
filename: Small ;
batch: 45 ;
pthresh: 5 ;
verbose: yes ;
pixel: 50 70 50 * * ;
pixel: 130 130 250 water water ;
pixel: 0 0 205 water ;
pixel: 255 250 205 waste ;
pixel: 124 252 0 farm ;
pixel: 139 90 43 mountain ;
pixel: 162 205 90 swamp ;
pixel: 102 205 0 plain ;
pixel: 34 139 34 forest ;
tchance: plain 50 ;
tchance: mountain 40 ;
tchance: forest 30 ;
tchance: water 40 ;
tchance: farm 10 ;
tchance: swamp 4 ;
tchance: waste 4 ;
tlevel: mountain 145 ;
tlevel: sea 100 ;
nbdist: 5 ;
tsize: 40 50 ;
psize: 35 45 ;
zoom: 1.25 ;
wraparound: xy ;
pcount: 180 20 ;
dimension: 1000 800 ;

Old August 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Thank you Gandalf.

Jazzepi
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Jazzepi said:
Thank you Gandalf.

Jazzepi
Ahhh. A small payment but gratefully accepted.
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gandolf! I downloaded 4 and will most likely be back for the rest.
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Heehee. I suppose I could make a zip with all of them in it.
But to be truthful, I dont think they all turned out to be worthwhile. I was just happy to stop messing with the script when I got about half to be something I considered "not too bad"
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Here is a batch of max-sized wrapped maps.
http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomMap...ax_Wrapped.htm
For people who dont know, notice that the right side matches up to the left side, and the top matches up to the bottom. The game will allow you to scroll right-left and up-down forever by rolling the map.

Most of these are 1500 provinces. Its hard to get things quite right using the generator Im using (ParadoxHarbinger's MapGen). Especially mountain ranges but I will continue working on it. I also might script in some changes to the files.
If you grab one of these (go here and grab the appropriate zip file)
http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomMaps/Max_Wrapped/
then I would recommend the following changes.
A) rename the tga and map file to something more interesting than Max_###
B) edit the #dom2title in the .map file to match (all of these are presently called PHMAP when you look at them in the game creation menu)
C) edit the #imagefile to use the renamed tga file
D) edit the #description. At least add the land and water counts (is there an awk script or something around here that will spit those numbers out from a .map file?)
E) add a #defaultzoom
F) if one of the maps is good but the mountains arent right then you might take it into a paint program and "drop" brown into more provices, then use the map editor in Dom3 to change them to mountain terrain

If you want changes (colors, amount of xxxx terrain, etc) let me know and I will see about running a new batch with that change.

I think now I will mess with the "sprites" thing and see if I can generate new maps with little pictures of trees, mountains, etc. Eventually (maybe) I will get around to automating it so that it generates new maps each day, makes all of the above changes, zips them up, and refreshes the catalog