.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 9th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Been a while, any word on Dom 4?

Howdy,

I have been away a while, Eve Online sucked up my life... Last I recall, the Dev's were working on something new and super secret. Is there more info out there yet? Are they doing something different, doing a Dom 4 or are we without knowledge?

Cheers,

Saxon
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Private

Tecnócrata is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Been a while, any word on Dom 4?

No Dom4, neither the 'secret project' nor in the horizon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tecnócrata For This Useful Post:
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Private

Khepri is on a distinguished road

That's really weird. I haven't been to the forum page for months and just thought this morning... I wonder if any one knows anything about a "Dom4" or other project. and this post was at the top of the list! Neat...

Well, the reason I thought of it was this: I was imagining a future Dominions were you could form pantheons with other gods, and then you could benefit from the good effects of one another positive dominion. It would require a whole change to the Pantokrator concept (since victory could be achieved by a group of like minded Deities), but I think it would allow for even more interesting permutations to the game.
Cheers
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Captain

Cool, thanks for the update. I have been enjoying getting my Earth Mother killed because I forgot about fatigue and generally having fun playing again.

I like the pantheon idea. It could be an alternative victory condition as well.
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, a diplo layer akin to what Civilization has could be interesting (allied victories, letting people pass through your lands unharmed, research/economic pacts...).
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Captain

I just noted that the most recent patch was in January this year. First, the long term support is unheard of outside of online games, that is amazing.

Second, the Dev's must still be interested and playing with the ideas, so we can hope they are brewing something new up!

That said, my imagination fails me. I compare the situation to that of Diablo II. What needs to be changed? In both cases, the graphics engine is old, but the core mechanics are rock solid. A few new nations or classes (depending on the game) would be nice, but what can the developers do that is not just a fancy patch?

On the Dom side, the devs clearly have a lot more imagination than I do, so I am hopeful. On the other hand, I fear that they may have run with their ideas enough and want to try something new. I have recently changed jobs and it sure is nice to do something completely new. I hope they have new ideas for a game they want to try, rather than taking up a hobby like stamp collecting...

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to make my Earth Mother (now E3, N3, post death number 1) into a credible SC, don't be shy! The trampling seems to tire her out and the rejuvination spell doesn't keep up...
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:13 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Needs more girdle of might/reinvigoration ammy/regeneration ring/boots of the messenger. Also needs more Personal Regeneration. Anything you can do to increase her protection also is a good idea, and if you can cast body ethereal or any other buffs on her with other mages that would also be handy. I don't remember exactly what slots the earth mother has, but I feel like she doesn't get a body slot. If she does get one, getting her more protection becomes a lot easier. Or you could use it to give her rainbow armor. She should have a shield or two as well! Preferably vine shield plus eye shield, golden shield, charcoal shield, or lead shield depending on your needs.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Everyone associated with the new project is on NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and very closed-lipped just as it was with all previous projects. But the only fairly official word we have received is that it is NOT a Dom4. There have been posts by the developers where they have talked about other types of games that they like and are interested in doing. But everything is guesswork about what it could be at this point. It must be fun though if they are working on it (they only do it for fun)
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I think it is going to be an RPG.
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Private

Robert Lawrence James is on a distinguished road

The only thing I could ask for would be a more powerful battle orders system, possibly with the option to do real-time tactical battles if the two opponents are online at the same time. That would be badass beyond belief.