.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Air Command 3.0- Save $15.00
BCT Commander- Save $8.00

   







Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Foodstamp's Avatar
Foodstamp Foodstamp is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 229
Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunderlord View Post
Here are some nation ideas/expansions


Another aquatic race (sharkmen,crabmen, The list goes on and on

...they drive away the brightest 10% of the players, leaving the remaining 90% to share its ignorance, becoming steadily less intelligent (and overweight from too much gaming) until the community becomes too fat, stupid and lazy to prevent the crabpeople's rise to dominance...
Hubris. You can't even contain it after the fall.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH NEXT TURN.
  #32  
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Gandalf Parker's Avatar

Gandalf Parker Gandalf Parker is offline
Shrapnel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vacaville, CA, USA
Posts: 13,736
Thanks: 341
Thanked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Yes. Great for solo play but I had something abit different in mind for server games.
I don't think anyone has called you out on this comment yet, so here I go getting involved when I know I shouldn't. Your density is astounding. Unitgen is probably ok for SP, but is intended and actually works as an MP mod. There are several games running now with that mod and it has been a tremendous success. To dismiss this project in the way you do demonstrates the depth of the disconnect between you and all the creative people you have helped run off of this site.
Well thank you for that well worded opinion. But I said server not MP. Server games do not have to be MP games. IF you bothered to look at MY server you would see that the games I prefer to setup as always open games include many interesting variations and most of them allow Solo play for people who want to try such variations without figuring out first how to set one up. I also prefer that they can be played without requiring all players to download/run a mod.

I did a actually do some work along that line long ago and wrote a program to create a randomly created nation. But I could not come up with a way to include it in map commands. I dropped the project hoping someone else would pick up on it. So altho I love that Elmokki's program and love using it, it does not fit the idea I had for another server game.

Quote:
Vets and regulars to this site will probably already have made up their minds, but new people should look at the invision site and compare the two. I continue to regularly check this site, but the other one has far more active and knowledgeable contributors, and is open to all. The banning from this site of many of those people created the need for that site, and has actually helped that site to become the better place for all things dominions, especially modders.

imho
I totally agree. Everyone should check out that site. The banning of such people did definitely create the need of a site for them and anyone else preferring such a forum. We now have two forums operating the way they want and serving as proof for the results of their policies. Not unusual for corp vs fan-run forums. It seems to be working out very well and is greatly appreciated.

imho
  #33  
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Radio_Star Radio_Star is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Radio_Star is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunderlord View Post
Here are some nation ideas/expansions


Another aquatic race (sharkmen,crabmen, The list goes on and on

...they drive away the brightest 10% of the players, leaving the remaining 90% to share its ignorance, becoming steadily less intelligent (and overweight from too much gaming) until the community becomes too fat, stupid and lazy to prevent the crabpeople's rise to dominance...
Hubris. You can't even contain it after the fall.
Hubris? Please read the above comment. QED, brother.


Oh, and people with a sense of humor are immune to crabpeople. I suggest developing one to thwart the coming invasion.
  #34  
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Foodstamp's Avatar
Foodstamp Foodstamp is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 229
Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post


...they drive away the brightest 10% of the players, leaving the remaining 90% to share its ignorance, becoming steadily less intelligent (and overweight from too much gaming) until the community becomes too fat, stupid and lazy to prevent the crabpeople's rise to dominance...
Hubris. You can't even contain it after the fall.
Hubris? Please read the above comment. QED, brother.


Oh, and people with a sense of humor are immune to crabpeople. I suggest developing one to thwart the coming invasion.
I have a pretty decent sense of humor. I apologize if you find my defending the community and calling you out on your true bitter intentions to be humorless.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH NEXT TURN.
  #35  
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Gandalf Parker's Avatar

Gandalf Parker Gandalf Parker is offline
Shrapnel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vacaville, CA, USA
Posts: 13,736
Thanks: 341
Thanked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

I dont think Id have called it hubris. Such a post made on their site would be hubris. Here its propaganda. I had some training on the subject. Note that propaganda does NOT mean that its false. It only means that its been worded to lean one direction. The same information can just as easily be worded in favor of the change. People have commented that my attitude has changed but it has not. I feel the same but I word it more carefully which is one of the reasons I am still here.

Sometimes a pat on the head can be more insulting than a rude word. And with a bit of practice he also could learn to make the same point with more of a honey tongue. If he made the effort then maybe he can even raise up that 10% abit.
  #36  
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Radio_Star Radio_Star is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Radio_Star is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist



/thread
  #37  
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Gandalf Parker's Avatar

Gandalf Parker Gandalf Parker is offline
Shrapnel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vacaville, CA, USA
Posts: 13,736
Thanks: 341
Thanked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Heehee. You comment that its 90% here, and 10% there. And you made the comment in a way that proves many points about the differences between the way the two forums function.

If you consider that a win than I think everyone won on that one.

/returning thread to OP
  #38  
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:27 AM

llamabeast llamabeast is offline
National Security Advisor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 194
Thanked 855 Times in 291 Posts
llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

I'm afraid, Gandalf, that I have literally no idea what you're saying.

The two forums should not be hostile towards one another. I think everyone agrees on that (Sombre just reiterated it over in the other forum). The only reason the forum split is because of mishandling by Shrapnel staff.

However, for people interested in modding or other content creation, there is far more going on in the other forum than here. So I would direct people interested in content over there.

Ideally people can check in both forums. I get more comments in the other forum, but there is also great feedback to be had here (thanks Valerius!).

Link to other forum for anyone for whom this is a mysterious conversation: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx

As for this thread: Theunderlord, it's great to have enthusiasm. However you're being met with sarcasm because in practice producing mods takes a lot of time and effort (for me a mod nation takes several months of obsession and working on it in every available scrap of time). The people who make them normally have plenty of ideas of their own. On the other hand, we have seen a lot of people turn up with tonnes of "ideas", who go on to contribute nothing. So there is inevitably some skepticism of "ideas" threads.
__________________
www.llamaserver.net
LlamaServer FAQ
My mod nations: Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
The Following User Says Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Soyweiser's Avatar

Soyweiser Soyweiser is offline
Colonel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 272
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist



Thanks llamabeast for telling theunderlord in words what I was trying to convey with sarcasm and skepticism.

Lesson #12 in propaganda, never talk about the lessons you had in propaganda.

s/propaganda/manipulation/ .
__________________
I'm acting like a high school girl /\
Bookmark these links:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
  #40  
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Soyweiser's Avatar

Soyweiser Soyweiser is offline
Colonel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 272
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Fyi, Gandalf, I think you can get the code for unitgen from Elmokki, so then it would be easy to add additional map data to the existing code. It is Java code.

Not sure if it is open source or whatever. But from what I recall, Elm was not against sharing the code. He is reachable on irc.
__________________
I'm acting like a high school girl /\
Bookmark these links:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2022, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.