BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 1st, 2022, 12:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Three SP mortars do not fire explosive rounds & one fratricidal artillery piece

I leave A0 as an HQ element and leave it on the baseline where it might be useful as an observer while it still does its real job of being the conduit to all off-map units. (if A0 is dead or running away then comms to off map units suffer).

What I never do is get it into the front lines to do something "fighty" or park it alongside things that will atract artillery (like beside an arty, AAA or SAM unit).

A0 is the "head shed" for your troops and has no business geting into fights either directly or indirectly. Find somewhere to park it safely that is away from anything that will attract attention and leave it there.
Old August 1st, 2022, 01:13 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Three SP mortars do not fire explosive rounds & one fratricidal artillery piece

Golden Rule # 1 for CG.

Never change your A0 from what it is.

Golden Rule # 2, see Golden Rule # 1

If you turn your A0 into a tank and it blows up and you loose the crew the CG is over, kaput, finished. If you change your A0 into anything other than leaving it alone, your violating GR # 1 and GR # 2.

You should instead when you purchase your core forces buy:

A0 is free leave it be
B0 is FOO
C0-F0 Arty
G0 AA
HO HQ support section to protect A0-G0 units
I-K inf coy
L eng plt (attach to I coy)
M eng plt (attach to J coy)
N eng plt (attach to K coy)
- Optional
O scout section (attach to I coy)
P scout section (attach to J coy)
Q scout section (attach to K coy)
R0-T0 Tank companies
etc.

BTW don't ever break, violate, twist, pervert or change GR # 1 and 2.
Old August 1st, 2022, 01:18 PM

Private

Jorma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I leave A0 as an HQ element and leave it on the baseline where it might be useful as an observer while it still does its real job of being the conduit to all off-map units. (if A0 is dead or running away then comms to off map units suffer).

What I never do is get it into the front lines to do something "fighty" or park it alongside things that will atract artillery (like beside an arty, AAA or SAM unit).

A0 is the "head shed" for your troops and has no business geting into fights either directly or indirectly. Find somewhere to park it safely that is away from anything that will attract attention and leave it there.
Okay, so that means that it stays as an SP mortar, but I just use it wisely.
Old August 1st, 2022, 01:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The HQ unit should NOT...... except in rare scenario instances, be changed to something other than a UC 55 HQ unit.

If you intentionally ( for whatever reason ) break the game, it will do strange things. Your HQ is your main control centre. It has "better things to do " than engage targets from long range

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 1st, 2022, 01:37 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The HQ unit should NOT...... except in rare scenario instances, be changed to something other than a UC 55 HQ unit.

If you intentionally ( for whatever reason ) break the game, it will do strange things. Your HQ is your main control centre. It has "better things to do " than engage targets from long range
The AI was getting it several times with mortar fire. I just wanted give it some mobility and light armor.
Old August 1st, 2022, 01:48 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The AI would only be mortaring it if it had seen it somehow, otherwise because it was adjacent to other units that drew its attention.

Just leave the AO on some hilltop in the rear, well away from other units.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old August 1st, 2022, 04:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Three SP mortars do not fire explosive rounds & one fratricidal artillery piece

ABSOLUTELY CONCUR with everything Andy, Don and zovs66 have suggested.

Depending on the terrain when using your HQ as a mortar that causes smoke when firing. The AI is "SMART" enough to know there's some kind of artillery/mortar unit that is very close by. I will simply say "INCOMING!!"

I do the same because "on map" artillery/mortars can be difficult to spot except by the smoke rising in the air that your units can see which will cause me to take the same action as the AI and have whatever's under the smoke yelling "INCOMING!!" as well.

Your HQ being your HQ was most certainly spotted by some AI unit that had a LOS on your HQ. Here we go again, "INCOMING!!"

Cover and Conceal ALL your units as best you can, especially your HQ if you lose that unit, your game will change and NOT necessarily for the better. It is the "comm link" to the units under your command, off map artillery and air capabilities again as Andy and Don have noted.

I seek the "highest" ground possible that gives it a decent LOS of the battlefield and to maintain comms.

Also, as Andy and Don have pointed don't have them too close to any type of AA/SAM, Artillery/Mortar or Ammo units. That goes for MBTs etc., in other words NOTHING should be near them within about 200m because enemy air could very well spot you then.

If you like moving the HQ around (And I don't in case, I need to call in some off map assets ASAP. I believe there's a movement penalty involved here that affects the "orders phase".) give them some kind 4x4 type vehicle that's fast and very mobile and of course has the CARRY capability to move them.

But whether playing against the AI or another Player, and to paraphrase "Where you see smoke, and you didn't fire there, then PLOT and FIRE there!!

After all we all know "Where there's SMOKE there's FIRE!! For those that know me, can you tell me you didn't see that coming!?!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 1st, 2022 at 07:54 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 13th, 2022, 04:46 PM

Private

Just wanted to let you know that I forgot that one of the artillery pieces fires upon my own lines if not reassigned, and I lost artillery due to the rogue artillery laying fire on them on round zero.