.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM

Private

Laddwr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nooblies - EA [9/8] players [Runing]

I think your turn ran away Afro, you must be doing something to make the game not want you to play.

So yeah, my army got destroyed. I must have put the indipendant strength too high or something because a bunch of barbarians just curb stomped a handful of Skinshifters with a priest and a mage. Stupid bad decisions.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:14 PM

Corporal

Ghill is on a distinguished road
Default Speed in communication.

Okay, I am going to start using PM's for diplomacy. It is faster and easier to keep track of.

Nothing of interest to report this turn.

All hail Fury the (aptly named) Great Hawk.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM

Private

Soviet_Storm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddwr View Post
I think your turn ran away Afro, you must be doing something to make the game not want you to play.

So yeah, my army got destroyed. I must have put the indipendant strength too high or something because a bunch of barbarians just curb stomped a handful of Skinshifters with a priest and a mage. Stupid bad decisions.
Those barbs are vicious man. Wiped out a bunch of my Abysian infantry...was pretty sobering after watching a group of twenty of them wipe forty wolf tribers... course daggers and pelts vs. shields and flails (and the fire within of course) is a bit of a different story than a bunch of berserkers with swords as long as ironing boards..
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:25 PM

Corporal

Default From personal experience.

I learned a lesson about barbarians a long time ago, "never estimate barbarians".

They have mediocre Morale and stats, but they have really good weapons and with berserk they can be deadly to even heavily armored targets. 30 berserking barbarians can kill 40 heavy infantry in a round or two, but they can be routed by a pair of vine arrows. If you rely on them they will fail, and if you don't take care they can easily kill you.

The clean solution to independent barbarians is to blast them from afar, a couple dozen archers or a few castings of fire flies will generally kill enough to ensure victory in melee and almost always cause them to break anyway.

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Corporal

AfroSquirrel is on a distinguished road

Ranged weapons are nice against barbarians, but the 'roadkill' school of thought is not to be overlooked. Put some throwaway units in the front to draw the barbarians' attention, and then have your elephants (or whatever) flank-n-squish them.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM

Corporal

Y'know, guys, there are more polite ways to greet your new neighbor than promptly attempting to invade...

In other news, there is no such thing as too much gold. Or enough, for that matter.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Corporal

Default AAR fail.

A bit of advice to anyone who wants to record their turns, check you sound and video quality after each recording. Oops.

Also, if you plan to go back and record later (like AfroSquirrel) I suggest that you save your .2h files as well. I don't think most people will remember what their plans or action were on a turn, and figuring it out by comparing each turn with the next would be a pain the in the but.

Also, everyone should have a complete record of .trn and .2h files in their e-mail (unless they purge their inbox and outbox constantly).

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Private

Thranite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroSquirrel View Post
Y'know, guys, there are more polite ways to greet your new neighbor than promptly attempting to invade.
If you're referring to Atlantis, then our apologies, but me must preserve the seas for our own use. Espcially given the early death of my pretender kraken, I'm not comfortable letting anyone else get a foothold (waterhold?) in the ocean if I can help it.

I can pledge not to go on occupied land for the foreseeable future, if that helps, and I understand if anyone is tempted by the treasure of the sea to try and claim it for their own...just know that I'll be seeing you on the field of battle if you do.
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Private

Laddwr is on a distinguished road

Well crap, I missed my turn, had to nurse my cat back to health (don't ask) and today I was out with my friends. I know you guys probably don't want to roll back a turn.

Also, turns out skinshifter spam doesn't work as well for early expansion in this map.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Corporal

Right now, my past records are just every third turn with a couple screenies and some text commentary, nothing major. Probably around turn 15 or so I'll have enough events to warrant more detail.