.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old February 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Private

OmegaMagus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battlestar Galactica 2.0

After watching the episode in slow motion, I agree the missiles do seem to be fired from the main gun area on both the Galactica and the Pegasus.

The attached screen shows a better view of the battle. Yellow are Battlestar missiles and red are Basestar missiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 405362-Battlestar missiles.JPG (10.9 KB, 244 views)
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Private

MajorDiarr is on a distinguished road

The flame jets of the Cylons missiles seem to be about three times longer than the orange rounds, just to note it.

Go to 22:49, you can see the shots firing from the main guns, then the camera pans to the Basestar. If you look very carefuly, you can track a shot from the left side of the ship as the camera pans to the right. Some of the shots apear to be made of two glows, then can switch to one. I think I've figured it out, the large guns fire unguided rockets. It explains the balistic paths, it explains the smoke trails, it explains the occasional double glow. The reason they would want unguided rockets and to fire them from guns is simple, the guns give them some near instant acceleration so their flight time is shorter, the rounds actualy gain speed during longer range attack which increases their effective range, cylons can't jam a mindless rocket.

[EDIT] Or the rounds are just smoking hot when fired or are burning some sort of tracer meterial, which may be a better explanation in some ways, as it explains why the big rounds, point defense rounds, and fighter rounds all glow.[/EDIT]

The Cylons use guided missiles because they can, the Colonials probably have nothing that can jam Cylon systems. They use guided missiles because they have to in order to get through the point defense guns and the guns can't be jammed because they're human operated.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Private

OmegaMagus is on a distinguished road

It looks like the two Battlestars are firering their main flak turrets right into the baststars. Smoke trails are there, but from their main flak turrets? I don't know, I'm going to leave my MOD the way it is until I can figure that little bit out.

As for my MOD, it won't be ready for a few more days, got caught up with the Olympics and school work. Don't worry it is very close to being done... and then after that... Who knows Total Coversion maybe not to far away.
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Private

MajorDiarr is on a distinguished road

It makes sense because either way, the shots fire balisticaly. And it doesn't make sense for the big gun's shots to be the same flak rounds fired earlier on, they have to have anti-armor rounds as well.