.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ooh, ooh, new info on patch page!

A lot of the Nations considered very powerful are very powerful because users have developed winning strategies for them. Look at Marverni--Noone's going to consider Marverni a pushover now, post Baalz' strategy guide. Before, apparently, they were pretty pathetic. Even a Nation like Niefelheim-arguably the single most powerful Nation in the game, at this point-doesn't come into it's own unless it's got a good bless strategy, coupled with human sneakiness. The AI can play it pretty strongly, as a blunt instrument, but it's easy enough to outwit.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

I'm going to ressurect this thread a bit. (After all, I picked the name Amhazair from an old and memorable necromancer roleplay character, so it's an appropiate thing for me to do.)

It's been a while now since this patch got released, but in that time I have yet to play with or against the slightly revamped Hinnom and the severly affected R'lyeh. I would be grateful if people who do have first hand experience could fill me in on what they feel were the balance effects of the changes. (I especially fear for R'lyeh, since I do have a soft spot for them. Not many people have argued that they shouldn't be taken a notch or two, but I'm afraid about how hard this patch in question hit them.)
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

heh, your topic is necro as well, as it concerns the effects of the previous patch, not even the latest one ;p

I haven't played LA R'lyeh, but I understand that they have been considerably snipped due to heavy income loss from popkill (and forced upkeep from freespawns?). I'd guess that they are a fairly marginal power now, but no one has taken up the cause of showing how to make them work.

I was playing Hinnom when the patch hit. It goes a long way to making them reasonable - I'd say Hinnom is certainly weaker than Niefl in the early game. Hinnom's starting army is now reasonable (6 swordsmen and 6 LI), and you need to be careful expanding. Gone are the days of just blindly having your initial army conquer indies for 10 turns straight ;p
Some of their units were upped in price, as well.

also, Hinnom bloodhunting now causes something like double unrest. It is pretty irritating

They're still strong, but in no way would I consider banning them from a game for being over-powered (unlike Ashdod, who should be). They're still an EA powerhouse, but one amongst many.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:13 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Ooh, ooh, new info on patch page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhazair View Post
I'm going to ressurect this thread a bit. (After all, I picked the name Amhazair from an old and memorable necromancer roleplay character, so it's an appropiate thing for me to do.)
It would have been better to create a new topic specific to your interests since this topic will first have many gamers checking to see if there's new info on the patch page... considering the title of this topic is called: "Ooh, ooh, new info on patch page! " .