.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Welcome to all the new people! Nice to see you here!

If you haven't already, do check out the sticky threads, especially the FAQ and the Strategy index, lots of good stuff there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabelais View Post
Hey all. I've been poking around with CBM 1.6 in SP and was thinking of trying to get back into MP.

Downloaded Edi's most recent database, but the nation data (units, paths, what you get for PD, heros + available pretenders etc) that used to come in a nice readable form seems to be missing.

Am I thinking of a different database? The one in color?
The one in color and easily readable form was never mine, it was Sunray's. That one hasn't been updated since forever and then some, IIRC. If you want a particular unit in easily readable form, consult the Dom3 wiki. It should have what you're looking for.

Mine has always been very barebones in terms of visual presentation, since I was having trouble enough cramming all the data in there.

For the other questions, they are perhaps best asked in the CBM discussion thread.
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Sergeant

Colonial is on a distinguished road

hello,

I had a look at this game about a year ago, liked it but couldn't deal with the micromanagement.

since then I've started playing some pbem, for which my tolerance for micro is much higher. recently remembered dominions and thought I'd have a look. been ghosting on this forum for a week or two.

seems like this game is the king of PBeM. well organised, 100+ regulars, in-depth strategy, can be played off a stick drive. so I've joined up.

so far I seem to have already provided the final impulse needed to branch the main mod :S:S.

----------------------------------------------

slightly controversial name was originally taking the piss out of the culture and economy of Scotland. also spend a lot of time in Africa, so thought it would suet.
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Private

Romtos is on a distinguished road

Hey all

Excited to have finally decided to buy dominions! The download option has convinced me. I'm enjoying myself safely in SP, but I might try MP in the future. The PBEM concept is very attractive, since it requires little schedule attuning.

As a real noob to the community I spend the day looking where people hang out. I found that the three largest communities are this one (shrapnelgames), the dom3mods forum and the thread at something awful. Did I miss any?

Also, I'm considering using mods once I get familiar with the basics. The most interesting mods I found were CBM1.71(with EDM and WH 1.9), HolyWar0.9, UWGIM0.94 and OnlyAwesomeSites1.3. I understood that mods might conflict with each other. How would I go about implementing these mods together, or isn't that possible?

I realize the community is somewhat on the quiet side, but I'm happy it still gets its fair share of attention.
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If by quiet you mean "not chatty" then yes. But Im not sure any other Dom3 forums amounts to more.
Yes, you probably pinned the top 3.

As for mixing those mods I think you will need to wait for an answer. A couple are too new, and only on some forums. Im not sure if anyone has tried all of those together yet. But if YOU do then please let us know. And of course feel free to start an MP game with that mix.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
If by quiet you mean "not chatty" then yes. But Im not sure any other Dom3 forums amounts to more.
Yes, you probably pinned the top 3.
I didn't mean to imply that this community was quieter than the others. Indeed, just that the whole community isn't that "chatty" as you so eloquently put it.
Quote:
As for mixing those mods I think you will need to wait for an answer. A couple are too new, and only on some forums. Im not sure if anyone has tried all of those together yet. But if YOU do then please let us know. And of course feel free to start an MP game with that mix.
I must say the lack of combined mods or something like that is surprising. Of course there is the things of people having different tastes and want different elements to their (MP) games. However, it does explain why I read mod-nations are little used in MP games.

I was considering reading up enough on modding in order to combine this set of mods. Part of the problem is that a few things have been very recently updated. One is the patch, which apparently updated the spell list limits, and I don't know what else. The other is the update of CBM, and other mods are often only compatible with CBM1.6. Finally, I don't know the limits of modding in Dom3 and in which areas mods might start biting each other.

In order to gain enough modding knowledge I guess I ought to read up on the documentation provided with Dom3. Anything else crucial?
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Actually, there are some combination mods. For example, sombre put together a combo of CBM 1.6 and most of the warhammer mods. And a number of people, myself included, have made combination mods over the years to play with various groups of mods put together. A lot of those are out of date though, and they tend to be put together on a per game basis. There's currently no combination mod with cbm 1.7 that I'm aware of and it's considered at present by many to be a beta version for the next version of CBM, so it's unlikely it will get any "official" combination made for it.

Combining mods isn't *that* hard though. It's just making sure that there are no number conflicts between the mods, which is mostly the case already with the warhammer mods, if not most others. But generally sombre and burnsaber try to make their mods compatible with one another's. Otherwise, there will almost certainly be conflicts. And CBM is much too big of a beast to count on not having conflicts with other mods. There are tools to make combining mods a lot easier, though, and it's pretty much common practice these days to use pyg's mod combining script to do the combinations. It's not quite 100% perfect yet, but every time it's used he works on it a bit more and it gets smarter.

You might actually be surprised at the number of games with mod nations in them there have been. The only thing is they've never quite been accepted by the community at large as balanced, so they mostly end up in specialty games. There have been a few that have included them regardless, though.

I feel like I'm rambling so I'll stop here! Oh, and welcome to the forums :P
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I feel like I'm rambling so I'll stop here! Oh, and welcome to the forums :P
Thanks. And I liked the rambling. Gives quite a bit more insight what's going on.

I did find the mod combining script, I think. But I saw the thread title ending in .py and anything in python scares me (out of ignorance). I'll check it out though, if it's such a big help.

I thought CBM1.71 was supposed to be "final version", I saw that mentioned at least once. There should still another update coming by QM?

Personally, I always preferred more content to more balance, but I generally don't play games (in general, not per se dom3) in multiplayer. It's easy to balance things if you can houserule yourself in silly ways.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Personally I can't use python at all, but there are plenty of helpful people out there and I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard to get someone to help you set up a mod for a game It is better if you can do it yourself though, of course.

There's a lot of discussion ongoing about CBM 1.7 right now. Basically it made a lot of big changes and people are concerned that overall balance may have taken a hit for the worse due to it. And they've been talking about revisions on IRC, so I would say a CBM 1.8 is reasonably likely to appear within the next few months.

I give myself a lot of house rules, too when playing against the AI. And even when I do MP games, come to think of it. Maybe not the best idea, but it makes things more fun for me.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM

Corporal

NaivePhilosopher is on a distinguished road

Hello all, figured I'd stop in and introduce myself.

A friend of mine gave me Dominions 3 as an early Christmas present a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing it off and on ever since. It's taken me awhile to actually get into it, largely because I didn't read through the manual first I suppose, but after reading a few AARs and getting a better feel for the game itself I've really come to enjoy the it.

I'm excited to get into the community and try out the multiplayer, and I look forward to having a blast with this.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Private

Tecnócrata is on a distinguished road

Greetings, gentlemen.

Tried the demo, and now waiting for my order to arrive. In the meantime, designing a few nations and preparing a map of Genertela (RQ) full with magic sites. Almost play SP all games, so no hurry to try MP, if ever.

Hardly can wait to a first game with Ashen Ermor and make the world a rotten wasteland. Always loved the walking dead.