.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBliss View Post
* Sleeping targets are immune to fear.

But... but WHY?!!
That's such a great way to make one sh.t in his pants!.. It was one of our favourite tricks in DnD2.0
Umm, obviously, because they are asleep, and hence can't see the fearful thing. All fear things involve parading up & down shaking scary things in front of the target.
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Are there any public CoE3 forums?
Hmm... ok maybe I need to retreat from my statement.

I guess the closest thing to public forums about CoE3 are this thread, and one in the CoE2 forum on Shrapnel. The only other forum I can think of is the one for the beta testing. Im not sure what any other forum would have other than maybe give the posters more of a feeling of freedom to post. There might be a thread on the freedom-to-post forum (Dom3Mods)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK it looks like CoE3 is officially now the next great Illwinter game (IMHO anyway).
I have now had it for 4 months and I am still happily playing it daily.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Boo Gandalf!

Your just pointing it out that you have it and we don't

Good to hear its coming along well. Without giving anything away that shouldn't be, care to compare it to COE II?
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Mechanics-wise it does compare to CoE2, but more polished, more complex and more transparent. Generally, more everything, I should say.

Unit graphics are a serious upgrade from Dominions for the most part (though some graphics are the same). Some of the graphical improvement comes from the interface, because the same graphic (exact same sprite) displays to much greater effect on the CoE3 interface.

Allied games are the biggest thing and that has had some improvements. For example, there is now an option where defeating a team requires defeating all players on that team before they are all eliminated. Without that, as soon as a player loses all commanders or all citadels, they are gone. Now one player can lose all commanders or all citadels and still stay in the game (and take a new citadel, or wait for new commanders to become available),
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Regarding modding capabilities and their status, here is what Johan had to say about the issue back in the Illwinter's Next Project thread. The post is dated August 16th, 2011 and it is the most comprehensive statement about modding in the game to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan K View Post
There is no modding support in CoE3 right now. It will probably be added, but maybe not until after it has been released.

The cosmology will be similar to Dominions, at least the void and horrors will make it into CoE3. Nations are not the same though. CoE is more about a powerful character like the necromancer, he does not rule a large nation like the pretender gods in Dominions.
That thread is useful reading for those who have not already done so, but any further questions should be kept to this thread so as to have everything in the same place as much as possible.
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Unlike previous beta-testing because they happened under Shrapnels rules, this beta-test does not have a non-disclosure agreement. So I can actually say that I am beta-testing it and be able to answer specific questions. (I debated for while whether I WANTED to tell this community that I was in the beta but decided to chance the flood)

I would say that CoE2 is a great starting point, and then add on top of that the many lessons learned and increased skills gained from creating Dom3 (including things they wish they had done). That seems like it would be obvious but its the best explanation I can think of. CoE2 upgraded by Dom3 experience.
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Unlike previous beta-testing because they happened under Shrapnels rules, this beta-test does not have a non-disclosure agreement. So I can actually say that I am beta-testing it and be able to answer specific questions. (I debated for while whether I WANTED to tell this community that I was in the beta but decided to chance the flood)
So does this mean illwinter ditched shrapnel? i really worry that without the broad advertising shrapnel provides the game wont ever be a big hit and will only be a niche game people want to pay $50 for.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

I can't tell if he is being serious or super sarcastic. Oh internet.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Maybe Matrix Games?

Matrix Games publish some quality niche strategy titles. I'd highly recommend Distant Worlds (and expansions) from them. All those little ships remind me of 70's sci-fi.