.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: ANONYMOUS POLL - Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?
Yes - Fair's fair, the board can't forbid a user AND profit from their past contributions. 15 37.50%
No - These mods & maps actually belong to Schrapnel Games, not the authors. 17 42.50%
Abstain - I don't want to be banned form the boards for choosing the wrong answer. 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12th, 2010, 01:35 AM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?

Isnt it true that shrapnel profits from the content here in part because people purchase the game partially because they see all the mods and activity in MP games and discussion etc. I know of several people who played the demo, and checked out the forums, and talking to people on the forums/IRC decided to buy the game. So shrapnel does profit from content here. In fact a friend of mine decided to buy the game only after he saw some of Sombre's mods and saw how cool they were and wanted to make one of his own.

Also, your suprised that people still care/still dont like the whole thing? its going to take a lot longer for that to happen. too many old vets got chased away
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:01 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

Honestly I see no reason to reiterate all this all over again. Everyone who was involved or watching the incident has his opinion of what happened that is unlikely to change now, so why go through it again? I understand that OP wasn't present on the forums when it happened, but still he can ask others of their opinion privately instead of creating the so-called "vote" the only purpose of which is to add the fuel to another flame war, especially so considering the fact that the authors of the content never expressed the idea of removing the content themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimaz For This Useful Post:
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM

BANNED USER

TheConway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
fact that the authors of the content never expressed the idea of removing the content themselves.
Umm, did it occur to you that they, you know, couldn't cuz herp derp they were BANNED!

Unless you expected them to email shrap and cc everyone on the forums.
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

No. It's up to the mod creator to decide.
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Umm, did it occur to you that they, you know, couldn't cuz herp derp they were BANNED!
pretty sure he meant anywhere.

Quote:
Isnt it true that shrapnel profits from the content here in part because people purchase the game partially because they see all the mods and activity in MP games and discussion etc.
in that sense they profit from any sort of community site whether they host it or not. however its safe to say the vast majority of customers never even check forums before purchasing.

mods/mp activity is something most indie types would prboably hear about from friends etc.
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

I'm absolutely sure that they have a way to contact Shrapnel without logging to this forum. Well, I even heard that some of them had second accounts here . Anyway, I'm sure that such request was never made, and that if it will be made someday, Shrapnel will remove the content immediately.
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Even if Shrapnel didnt removed the content, it seems like a moot point.

So what if a mod like SingleAge stayed available on Shrapnel? A mod like SingleAgeComplete or SingleAge w/LLama Banners would be released which would make it stupid for anyone to download SingleAge anymore. Posts would point to the new one, and links in threads about new games using it would point to the new one, and LLama's server would point to the new one, and the Wiki, etc etc etc. Most users would never even pick up on the fact that the new version is being offered in a different place than the old one.

And I have ALWAYS offered FREE hosting to any project for any of the games Ive liked. Dominions has had this thru version 1,2,3. Free file space, webspace, email, etc. They can use Dom3Minions domain or their own domain. Thats all pretty ******* rare on any ******* game forum as far as I can see.

OR if anyone did delete their mod/map/program without offering a new one then anyone could reoffer it on the web. Its not like it would die from LLama's server.
Old December 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConway View Post
Related was also nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n0vBcW5fc

(they actually played that song in a bar I frequent a while ago ).
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

This thread is dumb. Wahhhh, only our tight knit group is using our forums, if we were able to delete our crap other people would have to come here and we could really stick it to shrapnel.

That being said, they should have the right to delete their stuff if they want. As far as some of the retarded legality posts go... the bulk of the banned guys stuff was based on copyrighted material. It would be hilarious to witness a court case where these guys sued a game publisher for hosting modifications based on another companies trademarked IP claiming them as their own works.

There should probably be an option for banned users to delete (Not modify) attachments in their old threads. These guys chose to stick it to the man, it is not fair that they didn't consider this little loophole and it should be corrected by the forum owners they disrespected...immediately no less!
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Corporal

Muse is on a distinguished road

Authors do not have the right to 'delete' their work from the public domain, whether or not a library they dislike profits from it.

It is rather foolish to advocate an action that will only cause more antagonism, and make less content available to all players.

My comments do not reflect my opinion on the bannings themselves, nor the persons banned-- they simply note a distaste for petty censorship that is nothing but self-destructive.

P.S.
It may even be advisable for Shrapnel to seek out modifications to the game made elsewhere and compile them here, for easier access to all players. With proper accreditation and linking.