This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Study Reveals Flaw in Black-Hole Theory

Getting really right down to it; molecules, atoms, protons/electrons/neutrons, quarks, String Theory(energy wave lengths); matter is just "organized energy".

We are made of the stuff of stars. I miss Carl Sagan of the 'Cosmos' series.

-Wade
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aegisx said:
Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
That is anything but infinite, AegisX.

Just because there are an infinite number of points on a line dosen't mean anything about distances.
Maybe it is just a math property? You can keep halving the distance.
Xeno's paradox. But actually you can't keep halving the distance. You eventually hit a Plank (sp) length, which is as far as we can tell as small as things can get.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Even if space is a continuum, you can travel half the distance in half the time.
Total time taken is finite.

Just because you're marking an infinite number of points (an infinite subset of the points on a line) dosen't change anything.
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said: What, if anything, would be considered an opposite of a black hole?
A "white hole".

Unfortunately, it appears to be a purely mathematical construct that can't exist in the real world.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AgentZero said:
Quote:
GuyOfDoom said:
Of course no one knows everything. Have you honestly met someone who thinks they do?
Fyron knows everything but he won't admit it.

Does that count?
That was my initial reaction to the question too, but I haven't "honestly met" Fyron, so I had to leave it be.

Funny though!

TT

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Private

SothoTalKer is on a distinguished road

I do not see something spectacular in this news. Probably the gas is not as much as a torus, but more like a very slim disk. Either watched from above we see the black hole "naked" (so every kind of radiation reaches us) or we see it from the exact side of the disk (thus the radiation gets absorbed). This only partially explains it, as it very unlikely that we see almost half of the black holes from the side. Another possibility is that only the nearest parts form such a disk while the other gas is like a sphere around the center black hole (which is very likely rotating). Of course there can be anything else in between. Since the do not name their sources, it is hard to say if they left out any important information to make it more easy for the reader.

Black holes are quite simple objects (but you can write very much about them), if viewed from the outside (the inside we cannot see, so we can only assume what is going on). You can describe a black hole with only a few parameters: its mass, its electric charge and its rotation.

The normal non-rotating black hole is a perfect sphere, despite the form of any object which was the cause (Even a cubic star would create an exact spheric black hole). This only applies to the event horizon (or Schwarzschild radius), the singularity inside the black hole could be of any shape.
The rotating black hole is a spheroid, similar to earth or sun. It is a bit more complicated as the event horizon is not identical to the ergosphere created by this black hole.

The event horizon is the actual "size" of the black hole. Everything inside can never get to the outside again and will eventually be destroyed in the singularity.
The event horizon can never get smaller (except.. see below). If two black holes merge, the mass of the newly created black hole is smaller than the sum of both masses of the old black holes. The "missing" mass have become energy or gravitational waves. But the overall surface of the newly created hole (which is exactly the event horizon) is bigger than the sum of the surfaces of the merged black holes.

The Hawking radiation is a quantummechanical effect, caused by vacuum fluctations (These must exist because of the uncertainty principle by Heisenberg). If such a fluctuation is big enough and happens near enough to the event horizon, a pair of "virtual particles" can be become real ones (Usually both virtual particles annihilate after a very very short time). But if one particle gets caught by the black hole and the other moves away from it, it seems for people outside that the black hole emitted radiation.
If you look closer at this you will see, that this radiation is exactly that of a "black body". A strange effect is that the smaller a black hole is, the hotter it gets, thus radiating even more.

Btw, if you are unsure about the size: our sun would create a black hole with a Schwarzschild radius of about 3km (now the sun has a diameter of about 1.4 Million km). The earth would create a black hole with a Schwarzschild radius of 9mm.

What happens if a very small black hole of the size of an atomic nucleus would fly through the earth? Nothing probably. It would just fly through and go away.

And what happens if you would jump into a black hole? That depends on the size. If it is big enough you won't even notice that you are now inside the event horizon. If it is a smaller black hole you will get ripped to pieces long before you even reach the event horizon. The reason is the same as for ebb and flood: intertidal forces. You get streched from feet to head and get queezed perpendicularly to it. Not a fun death, i suppose.

White holes and worm holes are valid solutions of the Einstein field equations. But that does not mean they will exist in the "real world". Not every solution of a mathematical problem can be applied to the real world. You probably know this from school where you sometimes get a positive and negative solution from a calculation (Example: the Pythagorean theorem: a²+b²=c² - if you have a with 3 and b with 4 - then valid solutions for c are 5 and -5. But since there are no negative lengths, you just discard it.)

There are many more things to say, but i guess i already talked too much to give you a headache.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=9kpgc4td

There is no such thing as black holes. They are artifical mathmatical constructs with no basis in reality. There is not one shread of concrete evidence to prove the existance of black holes. Gravity is the weak force in the universe.
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gozra said:

There is no such thing as black holes. They are artifical mathmatical constructs with no basis in reality. There is not one shread of concrete evidence to prove the existance of black holes. Gravity is the weak force in the universe.
Why should that website be considered an authority on the subject?
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

If gravity is so weak, then why is it so fundamental? We cannot see it, but we can see its effects. I would say that someone who considers gravity a weak force in the universe falls into the category that I mentioned in one of my previous posts.... the one that states people who think they know everything don't. There is so much about the universe that we don't know that for any one to make any definitive conclusions about anything would be a naivety of epic proportions.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:34 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gozra said:

Ummmmm...I'm afraid to say that the vast majority of the scientific/astronomical community (scientists, no less) disagree with you and that site. There is in fact a veritable mountain of evidence that supports the existence of black holes; to say they do not exist in the face of that much evidence is like saying the Sun orbits the Earth, and that very same Earth is flat.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )