.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:26 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Theme Wars (Race/Theme Balance)

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
THe correct plural of "Hobbit" is "Hobbitses"...
Oh? I thought it was "Hobbitkabob".

PvK
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Speaking of hobbitses... I think a wonderful and brilliant idea would be adding an "Elf" and "Orc" race! I can't believe nobody has thought of it; the devs must be really uncreative. Well, on to more serious matters

Does anyone else agree that the absolute best indy archers in the game are Hoburg Crossbows? Cheap, tiny, cute, high precision... wow! I love those things! The fact that they fit 5 to a square allows easier battlfield positioning and a tighter arrow spread, too.

However... I think it is HIGHLY odd that hoburgers (which, in itself, sounds odd) have stealth troops and no stealth leader. Too bad, or I'd actually build their militia.

For a hobbit theme to be a serious contender, though, I think supply needs to be rescaled. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and come up with a few possibilites for troop supply usage...

1) Supply = size * 5
2) Supply = HP
3) Supply = HP + Encumbrance
4) Supply = HP * Encumbrance
5) Supply = HP + Resources/2

In most of these, the supply usage would be about 10 for a normal human light infantry (rather than the current 1). For most of them (the ones based mainly on HP) mounted units should multiply supply usage by 2, or add 10, or something... or else mount supply usage could be calculated separately and summed, for units like Black Hunters where there actually are independant stats for the riders and beasts.

Yes, I admit, it's off topic, but it is highly relevant to hobbit themes=)

-Cherry
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The sidhe that were added to Man as a theme are elves though it matches sources other than tolkien/DnD for its paramaeters. And at my house the race with the spiders gets referred to as Drow.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:

Does anyone else agree that the absolute best indy archers in the game are Hoburg Crossbows? Cheap, tiny, cute, high precision... wow! I love those things! The fact that they fit 5 to a square allows easier battlfield positioning and a tighter arrow spread, too.

-Cherry
They are at least absolute best indy crossbows(like you would have much to pick from ), but Longbowmen have precision of 12(not sure what HCB's have), faster rate of fire than crossbows have and they can skewer anything that lacks heavy armor.

And i see very litle connection between Drows and Machaka(apart from dark skin color and spiders). Someone care to elaborate? Other than "they both have spiders"?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.