.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 8th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Private

godofdun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I suck with Pythium ... please help!

haha, yes, the n00b alert has been launched! hit the deck! Thx though
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Private

godofdun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
archaeolept said:
I once bought some (in a very early game) on the theory that they were cheap patrollers, until they caught a scout... ;p
yeah, i can see how they would be wonderful for patrolling, especially if you wen't for blood with your pretender or something.
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
archaeolept said:
I always go principe, though some prefer the hastati for the gold savings. hatchlings are quite close to useless; the full grown, except in serpent cult, rarely of use. good against miasma c'tis.

the gladiators are, in theory, a good troop for scratch Last minute defense, say of an isolated mage communion. or as the lead troops in a battle you expect to take very heavy losses in. In practice, I almost never buy any. I once bought some (in a very early game) on the theory that they were cheap patrollers, until they caught a scout... ;p
Heh. Not sure - think it was another game, against Quantum Mechanic, but one of my flying harpy scouts stumbled on his capital. There went about 30 of my allies gladiators, against a scout. Almost makes empowering a scout for Air Trapeze worthwhile - trapeze the scout in, there go the gladiators, then bring in the real army on foot.

About hydras : I find the full grown ones very useful, with the right troop placement, choice of leaders, battle magic. The hatchlings? Even better - they make the _best_ shish kebabs!
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Hm in theory the hydras are nice .
You could e.g. lead them by a banelord , bane etc. and mix in some undead fodder to prevent routing .
The problem is just that the undead fodder gets killed to easy so it is very costintensive .
You could combine the Hydras with behemoths this should prevent routing and the behemoths should be alive at least sometime .

For Broken Empire ermor they would be much more useful though since they could generate their reanimatefodder undeads in the quantities needed without too high costs

Living statues could work rather well too

Strategic move of 1 and higher upkeep then an Archtheurg limit their usefulness though .

As archaeolept said Principes / Hastatati are just normally more useful .
The "routpreventing" normally takes just too much effort/resources to really consider hydras i think.
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Corporal

Azhur is on a distinguished road

Turns 1-10: Research alteration (all the way to 9). A proper pretender for this tactic has 7S (Oracle?). The use of AR is recommended always when possible. Use soul slay with your theurgs, while principes are doing their job in the front line. It's crucial to conquer first all the surrounding provinces to gain a good resource income. Since Pythium is mainly a resource-trusting nation, use of mercenaries is also acceptable.

Turns 11-20: Trade your gems (with the exception of astral and water) with other players for some astral-enchancing equipment. Start clam hoarding if you have a proper water gem income. Still keep up researching alteration. Try to avoid war against other players (keep em happy with gems and such). It's vital to seize provinces to find new magic sites and researchers. Library is always a nice surprise. What comes to your troops, stick with principes and threugs.

Turns 21-30: Now do everything to keep up with provinces and maintain a good gem income. Secure every corner with your principes and calm players to not to attack you. Use your everly Last piece of gold to buy new researchers, and build labs in such places where you can buy a leader with a research skill. Your pretender should have S9 by now (traded items with other players). Hope you have good astral income, since it's the most important source for the completion of this tactic. Teleport or move your pretender to some isolated province (near the player you'll be attacking), with low income and build a lab down there. Also remember to raise defence.

Turns 31-40: If you've played your cards right, you should have alt 7 by now. Players are becoming more and more hostile and actions must be made. Wait for alteration 9 to be completed and wish for doom horror. If you have good amount of basic troops in the enemy border, commence in. Little by little start bringing Doom Horrors into battlefields. Soon you might be able to give astral enchancing equipment to some hero and make him Doom Horror wisher No. 2.
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

I'm playing Pythium right now in an MP game, and it's been great to have this thread resurface, with new comments. In the game, I'm doing reasonably well, but I've made more than my share of tactical mistakes, leading to the following questions.

Quote:
Cainehill said:
About hydras : I find the full grown ones very useful, with the right troop placement, choice of leaders, battle magic. The hatchlings? Even better - they make the _best_ shish kebabs!
1) I believe that hydras are effective (played well), but like others I'm having some difficulty in using them cost-effectively. Am I correct in thinking that the main reason why you want hatchlings is simply to make the group bigger at something less than the cost of the full hydras?

If so there must be some more or less optimal ratio between hydras and hatchlings - I'd guess around 1::4. Does that sound reasonable?

2) I've found it very easy to use Principe cost effectively - as such I'm probably over using them. This thread has given me plenty of ideas about using hydras/hatchlings, but what about Emerald Guards? Does anyone out there particularly like them? At the least they seem like good body guards for your Arch Theurgs, but while I haven't tried it yet, it seems like they might be worth paying for in larger numbers as a line behind the Principe, or perhaps mixed in with Principe.

3) On Serpent Cataphracts, they seem like really good troops, but it's always a tough choice when you know you can get so many more Principe. So far I have put together a few times Groups of 5-7 Cataphracts, and they have been effective, but I wonder if I'm underutilizing them. Also, perhaps because my Groups were too small they didn't survive as long as I might have hoped (although in at least one case they took out a goodly number of devils before routing).

Anyone have any pointers on the minimal size of a Cataphract squad? Has anyone out there found it useful to mix other units in with the Cataphracts? Has anyone out there found the Serpent Lord worth paying for?

4) Currently I'm fighting Abysia, and I've found it particularly difficult to kill devils. I guess I'm doing ok, as the number of devils that are showing up is reducing, but still any pointers on countering devils would be appreciated! And especially pointers on eliminating a raid army of devils plus demonbred would be most appreciated!
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

group of theurgs (say 6+)really preferably w/ spell foci, and communicants(8), fronted by principe w/ some mixed in as theurg guards

quickness, communion master, banish demon X3
(have one scripted to cast the occasional fanaticism too, and one scripted to luck, twist of fate, charge body, astral shield, to buff the commies). more theurgs and communicants are always good.

just make sure to have enough principe or hastati as well to engage the devils.

summon up some false horrors too - no need to communion whichever theurg you assign to that task.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thufir said:
Am I correct in thinking that the main reason why you want hatchlings is simply to make the group bigger at something less than the cost of the full hydras?
Yes.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info Arryn, Archaeolept.

Quote:
archaeolept said:
group of theurgs (say 6+)really preferably w/ spell foci, and communicants(8), fronted by principe w/ some mixed in as theurg guards

quickness, communion master, banish demon X3
(have one scripted to cast the occasional fanaticism too, and one scripted to luck, twist of fate, charge body, astral shield, to buff the commies). more theurgs and communicants are always good.

just make sure to have enough principe or hastati as well to engage the devils.

summon up some false horrors too - no need to communion whichever theurg you assign to that task.
This sounds like excellent advice, and good detailed suggestions on scripting. Assembling this force, and have it be in the right place and the right time (given the strat move of 1 for Arch Theurgs), is a little tricky.

It'd be cool to have this kind of force teleport in somewhere, along with a teleporting/cloud trapezing SC or two. I've tried combining CoW with Arch Theurg teleport, but that doesn't work too well as the CoW hawks rout so quickly against devils.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:24 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

not arch-theurgs, unless you have some special need for their communioned random - say a 1N arch-theurg, communioned, can cast relief x 5