.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
did you try the reduction of commanders thing? at 12 years with LA ermor, there is a computer resource running out .
There's no way to reduce commanders. It's crashing before any battles take place.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Corporal

nordlys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
There's no way to reduce commanders. It's crashing before any battles take place.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...inal+sacrifice

try modding in this one, and casting it on a province with lots of units.

(argh, Dominions have been crashing on unit overflow since the days of PPP. How many more years and series' iterations have to pass until it is finally programmed to just cease recruiting, summoning and generating troops when the limit is reached instead of crashing outright?)
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordlys View Post
Quote:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...inal+sacrifice

try modding in this one, and casting it on a province with lots of units.

(argh, Dominions have been crashing on unit overflow since the days of PPP. How many more years and series' iterations have to pass until it is finally programmed to just cease recruiting, summoning and generating troops when the limit is reached instead of crashing outright?)
I wish it would stop a little before the limit so at least the anonymous attack spells could still work.
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Nagot gick fel box, it says:

lic: bad lnr

It happens during the AI turn phase.
Let's deconstruct this error message: The first part, "lic", specifies where the bug occured. In this case it's the function which tests if a land is a coastal province. The second part, "bad lnr", says that the input parameter for this function is wrong. If I understand this correctly, this would be the case for all provinces with a negative ID number. In Dominions3, the only provinces that have this are the special ones like Inferno, Cocytos and the Void.

Not knowing your game, I'd suppose that some mage ended up in one of those provinces and is trying to cast a spell that only works in coastal provinces. When the game checks if that is valid, it crashes. You should email your game files to Illwinter so they can analyse the situation.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:

Let's deconstruct this error message: The first part, "lic", specifies where the bug occured. In this case it's the function which tests if a land is a coastal province. The second part, "bad lnr", says that the input parameter for this function is wrong. If I understand this correctly, this would be the case for all provinces with a negative ID number. In Dominions3, the only provinces that have this are the special ones like Inferno, Cocytos and the Void.

Not knowing your game, I'd suppose that some mage ended up in one of those provinces and is trying to cast a spell that only works in coastal provinces. When the game checks if that is valid, it crashes. You should email your game files to Illwinter so they can analyse the situation.
Thank you! Finally some understanding!
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:

But what in the world does the "Nagot gick fel box" bit mean? Isn't that what is important
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Wendigo_reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
But what in the world does the "Nagot gick fel box" bit mean? Isn't that what is important
It literally means "Something went wrong" IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The developers are Swedish. This game was originally written (the Dom1 version was started) before it become common to pop up ERROR before saying what went wrong
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

http://tjuvtittat.se/forpackningar/n...oglade-namnet/

??
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you! Finally some understanding!
I can't assure that this is really the reason for the bug though, only what I understand from looking at the code for the error message. It might be wholly different things, when I look at the debug logs you pasted. Only Illwinter will be able to say for sure, which is why you should send the save file to them. Maybe you really stumbled over some yet-unknown bug.
Emergency comic relief