winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 20th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opportunity fire with AAA

Can't you just set min armor and/or soft vehicle and/or infantry engagement range to say 1?
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:43 PM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Try this but remember I don't normally use opfire filters

You want to stop them firing at ground units so that means infantry and vehicles........ Yes?

The only way to do that is to reduce the range they will fire to 1 for everything on the ground you don't want them firing at and they should still fire at air units
That's what I'm doing but they don't seem to fire at air units.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 02:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Do you have "AA weapons hold" showing YES?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 23rd, 2022, 02:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I have noticed (presumably hidden) AA guns popping off opfires at things you might not have expected, and it has been at the back of my mind to investigate some day. It's rare though.

Likely there is a wee bit of code dealing with just class 4 weapons that leads to them doing the squiffy thing and ignoring filters etc. for random ground targets. I'll have a look at it at some point, but more focussed on my recently broken shoulder ATM, so it may be some time!

In any case - they will opfire at stuff if they are currently spotted, just like other units will do, when no filters are set. If your AA were spotted and/or have shot at then they will be more "weapons free" than if they think they are hidden. Being shot at changes filtering (or the simply Y key range) to the firer's range+1 so as to allow return fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 24th, 2022, 04:50 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I have noticed (presumably hidden) AA guns popping off opfires at things you might not have expected, and it has been at the back of my mind to investigate some day. It's rare though.

Likely there is a wee bit of code dealing with just class 4 weapons that leads to them doing the squiffy thing and ignoring filters etc. for random ground targets. I'll have a look at it at some point, but more focussed on my recently broken shoulder ATM, so it may be some time!

In any case - they will opfire at stuff if they are currently spotted, just like other units will do, when no filters are set. If your AA were spotted and/or have shot at then they will be more "weapons free" than if they think they are hidden. Being shot at changes filtering (or the simply Y key range) to the firer's range+1 so as to allow return fire.
Yes I noticed all that and it makes sense and generally works well.

With AAA their primary job is to protect against air threats, spotted or otherwise. Once fired and spotted they become ripe targets for enemy fire so preventing that is important. Currerntly there are two ways to prevent this, as I see it, put them somewhere the enemny cannot get LOS or reduce their range.

Reducing they range is the problem as I have not noticed any AAA unit firing at anything over the range you set using the Y key.

Assuming they can and I've not noticed it, then the other problem kicks in if in LOS. As soon as they fire their range is set to that of the air target and effectively giving them permission to fire on anything else within that range. They may not have been spotted firing once but as soon as they then fire on something else the chance of being spotted increases to almost certainty, especially vehicles.

The problem in general is you want them to do their job but remain hidden, if possible. This is why I suggest adding a filter similar to the one that prevent land units firing at air units.
Old March 24th, 2022, 05:40 AM

there allready is a filter for infantry engagement range in the opfire filtering screen. Have you tried using that?.
Old March 25th, 2022, 01:48 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Been a while but use the opfire filter, set range for infantry & ATG/ATGM to whatever you want, if need be set armour max to say 1.

Now use the Y key to set range against air units if you want.

Note AAA units which have SAMs & guns the Y key only effects the guns range.
The SAM still operates as normal including against off map opponents if its capable.

One of the few units I fiddle with if facing helicopters, the opfire filter (key0) is very powerful & worth using for ambush situations to. Paid version only.
Old March 27th, 2022, 05:22 PM

Corporal

I think I my have been misunderstanding how the filters work and still no to sure.

First the y key controls the range of the main weapon (slot 1). Should other weapons also fire if they have the range?

The op-fire filter can alter this fire range allowing it to be refined for four different classes. Because air units do not fall within these four classes then they simple use the Y key setting if it's the main weapon.
Old March 27th, 2022, 07:39 PM

Y key is used for all weapons, and it is the simple filter available only to the users of the free demo.

Op-fire filtering is available for the extended game owner and has more options. Op-fire filtering is used instead of the y key (though you can still use just that if desired). Don't try both simultaneously on the same unit though.
Old March 27th, 2022, 10:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Opportunity fire with AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
I am a bit confused.
Why do you have your AAA units facing enemy ground units?
I didn't the scenario designer did. Vehicle based AAA being being within sight of tanks isn't good, they die very quickly when you move them or they fire.

Which scenario is this and which unit in the scenario is it exactly??

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....