This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM

Corporal

Iron Giant is on a distinguished road
Default Random stuff: questions, comments, caramel lattes

Well, I realize I'm late to this particular party, but since it seems like things have wound down, please put up with my questions/rambling.

I think I found a cheat, since this is single player only I'll mention it: buy weapons (or any devices for that matter), put them in your hold, go to the commodity storage and put them on your ship and you can then violate the maximum tonnage rules on the ship. That is to say, the space dock won't let you leave with component totals that are greater than the hull size, but the storage area will.

Fighters appear to be worthless in the grand context. In SEIV, fighters (like most weapons) had a niche. Fighters could be built in great numbers and then you would not have to pay maintenance on them, great for cranking them out at planets that didn't have a ship yard to use up spare materials that you were producing so they would not be wasted, but then you didn't have to pay maintenance on them and they could defend the system.

A level 15 fighter costs approx. 30,000 credits, whereas a much more effective capital ship level 15 weapon might only cost 15,000 and be 5 times as effective:

Fighters can be destroyed and need to be replaced even if the battle is won, whereas a weapon on the ship can be repaired if damaged, sometimes for free by your crew, and certainly for a lot less credits than replacing a fighter.

A weapon mounted on your ship gives you some control over when it fires and which shield facing it hits on the enemy, the fighter hits whatever shield facing it feels like and fires when it wants to.

Fighters can be rammed, ram into each other, ram into your ship. A battle with 10 fighters flying around will usually cost you one due to this issue (30k worth of pain!!). A decent solution would be to remove ramming between friendlies.....

Planets are kind of small. 4x bigger would be nice. 10x bigger would be awesome...

Carriers and battleships take up quite a bit of space on the screen, can I zoom out?

Will there be more hull sizes in SEV or is this it? The range seems kind of stunted compared to SEIV (300 tons to 1500 tons compared to Starfury 300 tonnes to 1200 tons or so).

I've finished the first campain and started the second and I have yet to see a "heavy" size bolt or beam. Where do I get them?

What is the max level of the equipment? I'm around level 15 now.

How difficult is it for someone with no programming knowledge to learn how to make 3d models for this game? Is there a book/program to get that could start me out? Would models created here work in SEV?

Can I write my own chatter between ships? Is it kept in a text file somewhere?

Would anyone like a large iced caramel latte from DD's?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

Corporal

Exan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random stuff: questions, comments, caramel lattes

Well, I can answer atleast some of your questions. You cannot zoom back in the game, but you can set the viewing distance for that ship model further back in the Main_PurchaseShip.txt

I agree the ship sizes of starfury are little limited but you can edit them if you want and even add more ships.

As for modelling, I've currently made about 20 models or so from scratch and succesfully added them to Starfury. You don't actually require any programming skills at all. There was a thread here once that told how to do models for Starfury. If someone could post a link here it would be great. Or I can just explain it later.

As for SE5. Well what I understand the models will work as it is in SE5 but I guess you'll have to create/edit the datafiles for it.
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Corporal

Hok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random stuff: (on fighters)

I almost totally agree with what you think about fighters, though ther's a little trick you forget about how to use them.

I don't use fighters anymore as you do but when I tried to fight using them I found that whenever you call back your fighters and launch them again... they are completely repaired!

So after a while I was going to battle with a tactic like this:

1) Launch fighters
2) Let them fight until they get some serious damage
3) Call them back
4) Repeat from step 1

I know its nothing special but with some care and a good timing in recalling your fighter you will lose fighters less often.
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Corporal

Cool thanks. I tried micromanaging the fighters, with some success. When damaged, I had them come back to the ship, but sometimes I had to go get them and sometimes they just get killed too quick anyway. My thought is that they need to be about 1/10th the current price to make them balanced with the other weapons.

Also:

There is a reference to a device that will allow you to "find cloaked ships easier", but I don't see a cloak, is it in there?

Has someone made up a spreadsheet with all the weapons for comparison?
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Corporal

Exan is on a distinguished road

No the cloaking device was meant to be added in the later patches but it never made to the game so Tachyon sensors are pretty useless expect you can sell them for some money if you get one as loot.

I generally find fighters too stupid to be any assistance in battle. You make one quick turn and boom, there went 30 000 credits plus precious shield points.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Corporal

hmm, are there any plans for future patches for Starfury?
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road

Yes, there is, but will proberly not be until next year
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Corporal

Hok is on a distinguished road

Hi DeadZoneMDx!
Have you seen my post in "SF: TPM team looking for staff" thread?
Please try that and let me know what u think ...