.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Master of Magic unofficial patch v1.40f

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
Alright I've done some researching and found what appears to be a better multiplayer version: http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/
Has anyone been able to get the custom maps working? Anytime I increase the size of the maps it's waiting for human players even when I selected zero.

I would really enjoy a game with 10 AI opponents on a very large map, but I'm having no luck with starting a game after increasing the map size.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where's the multiplayer component??
I've heard discussions about multiplayer hacks for MoM, but how balanced and stable does it work?
I absolutely loved MoM for years, and we played big hotseat multiplayer games. It was a lot of fun.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardo View Post
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic

You can download a DRM free version here, I think it's only at 1.31 but you can contact the site owners and request they find the 1.4 patch.
True yesterday, not true today. Gog is now shut down. Quite a bummer.
they did not shut down, they just ended their beta phase (and their humor sucks)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that is clear now. I guess I should now say - "true today"

Pretty lame publicity stunt. I'll think twice before I buy anything else from them.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

I've just executed a vicious combo:

Artificer
create a staff -4 Spell Save, 2 charges of Black Sleep

Remember Black Sleep ? The spell no one likes because it's 15 MP, depends on enemy resistance, and renders enemies so helpless the designers decided there will be no xp for killing them ? (or something, or was it fame ?). One word:

Ghouls.

Every normal unit killed mostly by ghouls rises as undead under your control. They never heal, but require no upkeep. The good thing is they keep citizens in shape (2 units: unrest -1). Oh, and because it's Zaldron the sage who does the spellcasting, I don't have to spend a single mana point !

The combo is a little hard to pull off (you need to save lots of mana for the item). But my hero is now a walking undead factory. It's like low-level Zombie Mastery, but trickier and more flexible. And it's creepy as hell: units zombified in unnatural black sleep. I can reliably zombify 4+ units per battle, but you need empty slots so it can be walking a thin line. There are ways to get the most out of it: I'll be using Darkness and favoring units with first strike (cavalry), bowmen, so as to not take any damage. Of course, if you can spend 750 (or close) mana on an item, there are probably ways to use it better. But they are not as creepy.

Black Sleep is an amazing spell - when it works. It's almost like killing an unit outright. Any attacks against the sleeping unit automatically hit for maximum damage, no shields. And the funny thing is, the spell makes bowmen scary. Heh, I may wraithform a squad of bowmen and ghouls (+pathfinders from nomads) and perforate people with regular bowmen just for fun.

I already valued ghouls for rushes. While ghouls are expensive, there are ways to use them without Black Sleep. Weakness is very good, because it's so cheap, only 5 MP. But it won't work against unusual races with resistance > 4. (It's fine against High Men, Nomads, Orcs, Lizardmen; these are the cities I want to conquer with Wolf Riders when I play Gnolls). Cities zombified early with ghouls can have ridiculous taxes.

Long story short, if you need a mean combo ask b0rsuk.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Alright I've done some researching and found what appears to be a better multiplayer version: http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/
Has anyone been able to get the custom maps working? Anytime I increase the size of the maps it's waiting for human players even when I selected zero.

I would really enjoy a game with 10 AI opponents on a very large map, but I'm having no luck with starting a game after increasing the map size.

I'll take that as NO.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBliss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
Human Paladins > All, it's pretty easy to survive (or prosper even, with a little luck) until you can produce them in impossible difficulty. Throw in warlord and/or life magic if you enjoy even more overkill.
Are you sure you played it with the latest patch? When I was young, I played it the same way. Just took the High Men and turtled until I had paladins.
But with the latest patch, AI is so much more agressive. And building Paladins takes forever, so you are very likely to get rushed. Besides, paladins were nerfed since the 1.0 version; I'm not sure how exactly, but they dont insta-kill everything any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
I've played MOM with the patch after years of not touching it.
I took Freya+Elves and tried summoning those bears/sprite but I'm getting stomped by the neighboring wizard (on hardest level). I don't recall MOM being so challenging...
Yeah, patches made Impossible MoM much harder than it was. Thats exactly why I posted these strategies. With these I managed to beat the impossible AIs. Everything else failed. Miserably.
Also, let me guess? Your playstyle changed over the years, as did mine. Back then, I was OK with just turtling and skipping turns until I had some imba high-tec unit. Now I want to grab something and rush somebody for good, or maybe expand really fast, etc etc.
There are lots of really, really good strategies for mom. But my favorite cheese was always taking trolls with life. Making sure to nature. Take enough life and you are guaranteed endurance. Take web as your nature spell.

Trolls regenerate - and with endurance you can out run (circles) around most things. 50 turns and all your troops come back....
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Guarranteed spells have been removed in one of the official patches. Now you only spawn with Common spell for each book in a school beyond the first, and if you start with 11 books you get a rare and uncommon spell too. Since you're talking about Nature + Life, you must've been playing an old version.

There are interesting ways to beat paladins. In my current game Jafar was stuck on two islands linked by a tower. A turtler got his wish granted - he started with High Men. I went with Klackons and Chaos. Long story short I assaulted his islands with a stack of 8 chaos channel (wings) stag beetles and a draconian shaman (removed from each battle so he can live). I cast Warp Reality each time I fight a significant number of paladins (4+). It gives all non-chaos units -2 to hit. Wings meant beetles weren't scared of first strike, in fact with innate fire breath they were the ones doing first strike. The beetles were otherwise fairly basic: Elite with no magical weapons (Alchemy) or even Metal Fires. I'd be much more afraid of pikemen and magicians if I didn't pick Flamestrike from a myrran lair.

The game can be wonderfully surprising and epic. In the same campaign, I strayed a bit too far on my quest to raze Horus's cities. I entered Myrror and torched a city in the same turn. Two heroes with 60 casting skill each made it easy. Next turn Horus casts... Planar Seal, and I'm a bit behind in casting skill and nowhere near researching Disjunction. I had to camp in a draconian town while fighting then challenging groups of priests, bears, pikemen, catapults deprived of my most powerful heroes. By the time I got them back
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

Bad news. The patch appears to have broken at least 1 thing: the great Magic Vortex spell. There was supposed to be a bug - if you cast the spell more than 3 times it could lead to data corruption. So the developer added an error message saying only 3 vortexes can be active at a time. The thigh is, I get the error message even if there are no vortexes (vortices?) .
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Good news: gog.com has a discount on MoM, so I can buy it cheap and see what all the fuss is about!

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.