This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Changing IP addresses?

Hey all a buddy of mine told me once that having a static IP address is a bad thing as it allows spyware to track you easier and hackers to get in easier, especially if you have a cable/DSL modem, well guess what the ever so Brilliant cox cable company does not have dynamic IP addersses for their clients.

However I have learned that I can change my IP adress manually every time I log in if I so choose, I have questions:

1. Is there a risk that sites I visit regularly such as game sites and that will lock my new IP adress out?

2. If I save my old IP adress somehwere can I always just switch back to it?

3. If by some freak chance I pick an IP adress someone else is using will I get THEIR internet files instead of my own? and vice-versa?

4. Is manually changing IP adresses legal?

5. If I change my IP adress every log in will it cause harm to anyone else who uses this computer?

Please help me out here.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Changing IP addresses?

The address on your WAN connection is assigned by your ISP. One way or another, you get what they give you. It can be manually configured or assigned by a DHCP server. If it is set manually, or if it is assigned by DHCP and you never reset the converter (keep address indefinitely) it is not safe to be connected to a system that is generally powered on. The script kiddies will lock in on you with their scanners. You should have a stand alone NAT/router with a firewall built in. This hides all systems on the local LAN and blocks most known exploits if the firewall is set properly.

If you set the address yourself, and it duplicates an existing address, you get cut off.
If you set the address yourself, and you do not properly register with the DNS server, you get cut off.
If you set the address yourself, and you violate the AUP, you get cut off.

At best, you get a new IP address very often. At worst you cause an addressing conflict on the WAN subnet. Why bother? If you are worried about hackers then get a NAT/router with a fire wall. If you want to cover your tracks, sign up with a proxy service. If you want to be a spook, learn to flash NIC firmware, then learn to hack, then go out and get yourself a proxy slave.

Think about it
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

there is nothing wrong with static IPs. most every business place will connect to the internet with one or more static IPs.

your buddy is alarmist.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

if your buddy is a systems engineer then believe him.

Static IP is good if you can get it. Your just going to set that ip on your router anyways. Best to keep that IP. And count yourself lucky your provider gives static ips....

1. Most sites do not care what your IP is .

2. Sure you have to change it in your TCPIP settings.

3. No. You will have problems with certain programs running on your system. Have problems with resolving stuff. I suggest you stick with the IP that is given. If you do wish to change your IP read the agreement between your ISP and you and see if your allowed to change the IP. If you have further questions then call your ISP and talk to them. If it is ok to change the IP then find out what range is open for you to use.

4. See above

5. You could. Depends on how your ISP has everything set up.

I recommend that you learn about Network protocals, Routers, modems and learn how to protect your computer. The knowledge will help you protect your system and be able to understand why you have to unprotect it sometimes.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Good info there but I definitely second the suggestion by Thermodyne for a NAT router / firewall; essential equipment for static IP configs IMO.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
rdouglass said:
Good info there but I definitely second the suggestion by Thermodyne for a NAT router / firewall; essential equipment for static IP configs IMO.
No, it is essential equipment for a connection to the internet, period. This is especially true for any sort of "always on" connection. Dynamic IP, static IP, no matter. Script kiddies will find you no matter what. All of those infected zombie PCs out there are constantly scanning semi-random swaths of IP addresses, and they will find your computer even if you have a dynamic IP address. All it takes is any sort of response sent to their probes...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

.....DAMN those probes! I'm sending Han and Chewie out to blow them up right now. Maybe they'll stop coming.

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Quote:
rdouglass said:
No, it is essential equipment for a connection to the internet, period. This is especially true for any sort of "always on" connection. Dynamic IP, static IP, no matter. Script kiddies will find you no matter what. All of those infected zombie PCs out there are constantly scanning semi-random swaths of IP addresses, and they will find your computer even if you have a dynamic IP address. All it takes is any sort of response sent to their probes...
No wonder I don't post very much here.... always gotta' feel smart and fill in any perieved blanks; even if there aren't any.

Gotta' keep your status Fyron as the only one that knows what they're talking about.....belittling suits you well and you do it in such an unbecoming manner.

Bye - bye.
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Well, I have a couple of accounts that I have to dial into and manage occasionally. And it is real slow to get anything done over 56k. It would take quite a long period of time to exploit a buffer. So I think it would be safe to just use antivirus and a software firewall on a system that uses dial on demand 56k.

Think about it
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Belittling? I was not belittling you or anyone. It was not my intention to offend, merely to add to the conversation. I apologize for any perceived offense. We were essentially in agreement anyways...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.