.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Favourite Boardgames

I have the new Munchkin Quest Board Game (Munchkin... with a board). It uses a similar board generation mechanic. I would like to play it more before making a real opinion, but overall I like it (though it is a little light on the roleplaying and immersion side, as is to be expected).

I second Race for the Galaxy. Amazing game. Though it is a little light on player interaction, and there is a certain level of luck in getting the good cards.

Power Grid is a little too easy to fall behind in, though I would never say no to playing.

I deeply enjoy Puerto Rico. I don't like Settlers as much (maybe because I haven't it played it that much).

Some games I like that haven't been mentioned:

Torres (Very fun, with a lot of options to change up gameplay. Mostly unique "building" feel that is well communicated.)

Maharaja (Nerve wracking and well designed. I find it extremely suspenseful, which is the best and worst feature. It suffers from a lack of strategies after a number of plays.)

Princes of Florence. A nice game that I would like to play more. It has many good bidding/building mechanics that make for interesting decisions.

Starcraft (I *LOVE* this game. Feels like the computer game, and always enjoyable. The only two downsides are the length, which is long, and slightly arbitrary victories. I feel like a fight to the death is more thematic, but that would take days.)

Goa (A bidding game I like a lot, though I haven't played it much.)

And finally, I am surprised no one has mentioned Diplomacy yet. I feel like it has had an immense effect on the way I think about any territory-based, simultaneous resolution game (*ahem*Dominions*ahem*).