BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 13th, 2020, 08:26 AM

Corporal

WilliamB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helo News game related.

Their is a report in the July issue of Combat Aircraft that the first 2 MV-22B Ospreys for Japans Ground Self Defense Force arrived at MCAS Iwakuni on May 8th. They are to undergo testing and inspection by U.S. Marine Core personnel before being turned over to the JGSDF late this month or in early July. According to the report Japans first Osprey pilots are still in training at MCAS New River in North Carolina, so it will still be some time before they are operational.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilliamB For This Useful Post:
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Helo News game related.

The USMC retired the AH-1W yesterday 19 OCT. 2020 and from REF.2 the final Sortie was flown on...
"The last AH-1W sortie was flown on Oct. 14 by HMLA-773 Detachment A at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans, Louisiana."

So there you have it.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...upercobra-helo
https://seapowermagazine.org/marine-...a-helicopters/

There's plenty more where they came on the web now but, these should be enough.

For as part of an ongoing discussion, see Jets and Planes Thread Post #568.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Australia picks the AH-64E as the replacement for the Tiger ARH

https://www.tanknet.org/index.php?/t...elects-ah-64e/

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...ce-helicopters
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 14th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Not necessarily news, but there is no Bristol Sycamore for the British available https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Sycamore
I've just read in "War Machine", that in Cyprus: The Sycamore played a crucial role in Britain's operations against the EOKA terrorists, pioneering new mountain flying and helicopter assault techniques and specializing in swift cordon and search operations (sometimes using cabin mounted machine-guns for defence suppresion).

It could carry 2+3, and was used since 1955 in action (available from 1953, though rather in SAR missions), until 1971. If you'd like to add it, a wheeled slender icon like 1908 (Mi-1) would be OK as a quick measure.

An easy addition would be also Westland Dragonfly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_WS-51_Dragonfly - copied eg. from Canadian 402 Sikorsky S51 (albeit the icon doesn't remind this helicoper and again 1908 would be almost perfect). However, I don't know if they were used for anything else than casualty evacuation. Crew was 1, but it could take 3 passengers.

BTW: I don't know if and when original 524 Bell Scout entered British service, but when it was built by Westland (reportedly from 1965 only?), it was known as Westland Sioux - so maybe it should be renamed Sioux https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_H-13_Sioux Carry capacity was only 1+2, with no place for 3 passengers, and probably no possibility of carrying a cargo.
Old March 14th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Helo News game related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
Not necessarily news, but there is no Bristol Sycamore for the British available https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Sycamore
I've just read in "War Machine", that in Cyprus: The Sycamore played a crucial role in Britain's operations against the EOKA terrorists,
I don't want to talk politics; however I think to characterize the EOKA as terrorists is a stretch. In Cyprus the EOKA fought to unite Cyprus with Greece. While I understand you're quoting from "War Machine" I am moved to protest. The EOKA were nationalist fighting to kick the Brits out of their country.

Old March 14th, 2021, 03:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

During the time the Sycamore would be in service there are far more useful helos available with a greater carry capacity which is why it's not included.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 14th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

I don't want to talk politics; however I think to characterize the EOKA as terrorists is a stretch. In Cyprus the EOKA fought to unite Cyprus with Greece. While I understand you're quoting from "War Machine" I am moved to protest. The EOKA were nationalist fighting to kick the Brits out of their country.

They also engaged in intimidation that targeting civilians and murdered people they considered "traitors" and that's why a number of sources call them terrorists. They were not lilly white "freedom fighters"

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 14th, 2021, 06:34 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
During the time the Sycamore would be in service there are far more useful helos available with a greater carry capacity which is why it's not included.
Maybe, but it was Sycamore, that was actually used The Whirlwind came about that time, but the article says, that Sycamore proved the superiority at higher altitudes in Cyprus mountains. Of course, treat it just as a hint, you are the boss. In any case, they sometimes flew with Bren guns.

BTW: I've just checked in said "War machine" no 96 and it seems, that Belvedere appears much too early (1950) - its predecessor first flew in 1952, and series Belvederes were delivered to the RAF from 8/1961 only, and remained until 3/69 (now 65).

Quote:
I think to characterize the EOKA as terrorists is a stretch. ... The EOKA were nationalist fighting to kick the Brits out of their country.
Of course, it was not my intention and I don't know who was right. Killing people is generally bad. Although calling armed bands as "terrorists" or "freedom fighters" depends largely on a point of view...
Old March 14th, 2021, 06:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I guess some adjustments need to be made....... In any event, it would go in as a light helo UC 204

Last edited by DRG; March 14th, 2021 at 07:09 PM..
Old March 15th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Captain

BTW, there is a mention about 3 troops carried (and 12 delivered by four helos), but if Sycamore had capacity 1+4 for game purpose, it could carry an existing scout section (I don't know if two pilots were mandatory and why they didn't use up its small capacity 2+3 better...).
The Following User Says Thank You to Pibwl For This Useful Post: