Warwick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Number of active players

One Kiwi here, from Christchurch NZ. I play daily, mostly MBT from 1-2 hours
The Following User Says Thank You to Warwick For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2019, 12:36 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

I bought the original game in 1995. Before that I played a game on my old Apple somewhat like this... I think it was called Tanks (but at my age, the memory isn't clear). Loved SPMBT from the start and it's been a constant presence in my free time (as little as that is and much the annoyance of my wife when I spend my days off and leave sitting at the computer instead of doing her tasking lists).

I'm short and retire in 20 months (not that I'm counting) and I plan on spending more of my time in the game (that should make the wife decidedly pleased!).

This is my link to sanity (as much as I still possess) and I'm going to hold onto it by my fingernails.

Cudos to the admin people who have kept this game alive.

USA/Pennsylvania here.

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Number of active players

You have to absolutely LOVE "The Honey Do List", "TG" CINCLANTHOME keeps mine to a bear minimum, because I'm such a nice guy, mostly deal with over the phone etc. type issues.

If it dealt with tanks/combined arms well, I think I pretty much covered that with just about every board game that SPI & Avalon Games (And a couple of "off" brand ones as well.) made from the early 70's until they were basically no more. But it all started with Tactics II the father of them all. From there it was onto Avalon Hills Blitzkrieg. The game that got me hooked on modern warfare and thus responsible for all of you to "suffer" with me were in reality games from SPI Sixth Fleet (And I became a Submariner!) and "the time is 0800 hrs., Summer 1975" yes, Red Star/White Star man I loved that game it was so "technical" for a board game, plus you had blank die cuts to allow you to introduce new equipment for all the forces in the game. That's where the research all started.

SSI would introduce me to my first PC games right from the start in 1995 with of course STEEL PANTHERS (Played up to III.) I never had an interest for whatever reason to pursue the rest (I think ten versions now.) mostly because I was under the water but it seemed MATRIX Games had some issues when they took over the series.

Now I'm here and am as happy playing our games as I was playing my Avalon Hill and SPI, you'll just have to trust me when I say that means a lot to me personally.

THANK YOU ALL!

Army "brat" from West Germany at Panzer Kaserne, Boblingen where I was born and lived for many years. Came stateside in Dec. 1966. Lived in Port Jervis, N.Y. after college moved/worked in the western burbs of Chicago, went to Williamsburg, Va. long enough to join the USN. stationed in Groton, Ct./Charleston, S.C./Back to Groton Ct. and finally to here and God help me for now almost the last 30 years.

New York State however will always be "home" to us, though in many parts of the state the taxes will kill you!!

So here physically, but this time of year, definitely in a N.Y "State of Mind" for you music folks!!

Regards,
Pat

Hey did they extend to edit time on posts? Thought it was extended to only an hour or two ~3-4 years ago. Not complaining mind you!!

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 7th, 2019 at 09:31 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Now I'm here and am as happy playing our games as I was playing my Avalon Hill and SPI, you'll just have to trust me when I say that means a lot to me personally.

Copy that! Many a time I came off watch and sat down to play Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz and Arab Israeli Wars. Of course, I had no one to play with, but after a few beers, the "AI" did pretty good! Good times.

Glad to be a part of the community.

Best

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old July 8th, 2019, 03:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Oh?
How we're doing life/gaming biography's?

I grew up on a 160 acre farm 15 miles from nowhere (Oldham, pop. 133 in 2010) South Dakota and while other girls were clamoring for the latest Barbie I wanted a GI Joe. The first wargame I recall seeing was "Tactics II" somewhere around 1965. As the eldest child on a working (vice hobby) farm I got all the "fun" chores and learned to drive in a Model-T farm truck (hey, it still ran, so we used it) when I was about 8-10. It was pretty much inevitable I'd get married to a farmer, raise 15 kids, and ... blah ... so I joined the US Marines with the intent of getting off the damn farm. And never looked back.

My first "PC Game" was "War in Russia" around 1983. I don't recall when I discovered the "Steel Panthers" series (probably the year it was published), but I've yet to find a battalion/regimental scale tactical wargame I like better.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old July 8th, 2019, 05:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Looks like Nebraska with a few more trees ( corn--corn--corn--corn--corn........ repeat)......Ever gone back to look around ?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 9th, 2019, 12:03 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Looks like Nebraska with a few more trees ( corn--corn--corn--corn--corn........ repeat)......Ever gone back to look around ?
Last time I dropped by was in 1981.
And the only noticeable change was the calender's said "1981".

(My father passed in 1975, my siblings were too young to run the farm so my mother sold it.)

Corn, oats, wheat, soybeans. A few head of cattle for our own milk and meat, a few hogs for the same, and the inevitable chickens.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old July 9th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Corporal

luigim is on a distinguished road

I play 2-3 hours a month

In the past much more
The Following User Says Thank You to luigim For This Useful Post:
Old July 10th, 2019, 04:54 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Ok, since I guess this is a thing now.
I was born in the 70s as a 70 year old man at least mentally getting younger by the year.
First strategy/wargame I had was UMS. Universal Military Simulator, on the Atari ST, playing it at high resolution on my monochrome SM124 monitor.
I was hooked with the whole strategy gaming part. Technically I was hooked before then, when I first watched the movie Wargames and dreamed of having a game like Global Thermonuclear War. Without a computer at first, all I could get to play was Missile Command lol.
Old July 24th, 2019, 01:40 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road

Ain't much for me to state, since I lurk more than post here. I was born in Louisiana, dad died, and I moved to Texas where I got a real big itch for WWII after binging some game called "Secret Weapons over Normandy". Over time this turned into me digging into it, then getting real into it, then getting real into the tactics of it. I played games like Men of War and the like, but I wanted some big, grand-scale battle game. On some forum I went on someone posted a link to this and, well, I've been around since 2011 so I think it's had some sorta' impact!

I tend to play ten hours a month, designing maps that I ultimately scrap because I have extremely high standards for myself. College and work also drag me down, however I hope to finally release a proper scenario or two sometime this year. Maybe before I'm 24. :V
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukerduker123 For This Useful Post: