.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old October 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road
Default Where is a funcitonal example of \"preenc\"?

Has anyone had success with using preenc in a condition, or do you know where it may have been used? I can get firstenc and encounter to launch the quest I'm trying to launch, but preenc does nothing. If I were able to make a race neutral at will, then firstenc would suffice, but that doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.

I basically am looking for a way to give a ship the opportunity to turn around before a fight with a race they've not yet met, yet remains hostile.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Where is a funcitonal example of \"preenc\"?

Also, one of the important things of the preenc flag is that I need to start a mainquest with it, and I don't want players to be able to simply hang back and not visit that planet until they're all armed to the teeth to start the quest.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

The pre-encounter condition is used in mantle_gar and mantle_url to set that race to be your enemy if you arrive without the mantle and have made friends with them earlier.

The preenc is triggered just before the radar screen would pop up. The radar would not pop up if they were friendly, that's why this feature was added. It may not be possible to use preenc to pop up a quest window as it's only intended to make (invisible) preparations before the actual encounter.

Strangely, there's no quest command to set a race to neutral. But if this is something you want to do on your first encounter with that race, why not just make them neutral in the race's ini file? (ie. not mark them hostile)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM

Corporal

I actually wanted the tan ru to act neutral as the clue that my corrupted tan ru mainquest was fired off. But I can't think of a way to make them default to neutral, and then make them an enemy all other times. I was going to see if "mainquest" quests would override "always" quests with the same keys, but I haven't looked into it yet.
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road

Preenc definitely works. I've had the Garthans turn on me because Esmeralda stole the Mantle.

I've also used it on an mod, but I don't think it's in the currently available version of said mod.

If Preenc is what's causing the trouble, there may be some other bugging that it's merely accentuating. Is it crashing, or just failing to trigger the quest?
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Private

lexicat is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

I have a quest in which I would like to make a formerly friendly race, let's use the Zorg as an example, turn hostile.

The line:
ENMY Zorg

appears in my quest (along with various other good and awful things).

Everything works except that the Zorg do not actually become hostile after the quest has been triggered. Any advice on how I am supposed to accomplish this? Is preenc supposed to be employed somehow?

I ask here, because Squidge mentioned (I assume) previously friendly Garthans turning hostile.

Thanks much,
Lexicat