winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 16th, 2022, 07:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SP and SPAA Developments

I had the unit in my master but I have now re-nationalized it.... JUST IN CASE things change ( again )

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2022, 08:05 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Hunting for 155mm M777A2 howitzers already started here Russian movie from drone. That must be very valuable asset for Ukrainians.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1526859578662608897

Russians uses KUB-BLA their own loitering munition https://www.thenationalnews.com/worl...ed-in-ukraine/
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Looks like my June 2022 estimate for the Ukrainian PzH 2000 was pessimistic by a couple of weeks. Reports are saying they are in use now and some suggest there *May* be over 100 of them delivered ( eventually...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApSej8Meic

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 19th, 2022 at 07:29 AM..
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Also suggested is that the few 2S35 Koalitsiya the Russians have are based on the T-90 chassis not the Armata and this proves to be a valid point and the wheels are the clue

Armata

T-90m

2S35 Koalitsiya

Armata has 7 solid wheels--no indents, T90 6 wheels with 6 indents per wheel

Original info suggested this was to be built on the T-14 but it appears not or there just where not enough T-14 chassis to fill the order so the early versions are hybrids........ time will tell but I will "adjust" the Icon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REV.png
Views:	261
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	16728  

Last edited by DRG; May 19th, 2022 at 08:49 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

US Army's Directed Energy Maneuver Short Range Air Defense system (or DE M-SHORAD for short)

LINK

Quote:
LAS CRUCES, N.M., May 16, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- In four weeks of continuous live-fire exercises, an industry team led by Raytheon Intelligence & Space, a Raytheon Technologies (NYSE: RTX) business, and Kord, a wholly owned subsidiary of KBR, defeated multiple 60mm mortar rounds with a 50kW-class high energy laser integrated on a Stryker combat vehicle.

The directed energy weapon system — part of the U.S. Army's Directed Energy Maneuver-Short Range Air Defense, or DE M-SHORAD — acquired, tracked, targeted and defeated multiple mortars and successfully accomplished multiple tests simulating real-world scenarios.

Continuing to put the DE M-SHORAD system to the test, the recent operational assessment at White Sands Missile Range also included defeating several small, medium and large drones.

The joint industry team, which includes Rocky Research for power and thermal management, General Dynamics Land Systems for the Stryker platform, and Applied Technology Associates for additional sensors, is preparing to deliver four DE M-SHORAD units to Army Brigade Combat Teams in 2022.
===============================

I'm just wondering how battlefield lasers could be handled within the game; you would need special code to handle them; as they'd have different effect levels:

Anti Drone/Mortar/Rocket (50 kW)
Anti-Artillery (150kW)
Anti-Aircraft (300 kW)

i.e. an anti drone 50 kW laser wouldn't be capable of defeating incoming artillery or enemy aircraft; etc

But all three would be able to operate in "blinding" mode -- i.e. be able to degrade a target's FCS -- it's been 30 years since Desert Storm and 25~ since the Chinese/Russians permanently blinded a helicopter pilot; so I'd imagine all modern FCS have anti-laser blocks built in now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 03:37 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SP and SPAA Developments

Mark you would be correct about the anti-lasing tech on FCS and more. Like a radio wave it has a frequency range, pulse rate etc. and like a radio wave if you figure out the above (And more.) you can jam it or interrupt the signal. The Russian Shtora-1 system for example, employs its own laser across the frequency spectrum to disrupt the same from an incoming ATGW.
https://defense-update.com/20051012_shtora-1.html
https://bklein.ece.gatech.edu/laser-...-light-source/

This is like the "classic" battle between people buying radar detectors and the police developing radars that can defeat them so the driver will get that speeding ticket.

I used the Shtora-1 to illustrate how long this has been going on even previous to it. So, using a ATGW of a different sort, the STRIX which uses a multi band radar along with a "backup" optical targeting device.

With lasers we're talking frequency shifts in nano seconds. The targeting against things like FCS in the "space of time" is a newer area in use of lasers to defeat those systems however, like the police, counters are in place against that.

You don't need a war to figure that out. The advanced countries and based on their technologies are all developing offensive counter measures while at the same time developing defensive ones at the same time. That's just simple R&D.

We are seeing this in the practical sense now with the JAVELIN and others versus some of the Russian protection systems.

I've seen the video on mainstream news of this concerning one of Russia's most advanced jets, you judge for yourselves who's winning the technology war.
https://www.businessinsider.com/russ...ards-uk-2022-5
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...strike-fighter
(And several have been shot down.)

I would have to think this would be a tall order to get this to work in the game. Also, nobody yet has successfully fielded a practical system yet and for us the USN is further along than the rest I believe. I also believe those systems at this time and into the near future would have a hard time against multiply targets.

"Don Sherlock Holmes" that was a fine piece of detective work!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 12:23 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SP and SPAA Developments

Well, it appears the M777A2 artillery systems we sent DID NOT COME WITH THE COMPUTER AIDED TARGETING SYSTEM. So it can't for instance fire EXCALIBUR with the precision the computer would've allowed for. But as the article notes they are getting precision fires because they're getting GPS targeting data from drones and spotters.

If we didn't send them you should understand by now nobody else did either.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...out&li=BBnbfcL

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
.................But as the article notes they are getting precision fires because they're getting GPS targeting data from drones and spotters.

Regards,
Pat
While we're on that topic, has anyone used the drones we added last release?

Old May 20th, 2022, 04:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mark you would be correct about the anti-lasing tech on FCS and more. Like a radio wave it has a frequency range, pulse rate etc. and like a radio wave if you figure out the above (And more.) you can jam it or interrupt the signal.
I don't think you quite understand.

On Quora, there's a question:

"How quickly can a 10W 450nm laser blind a person or animal?"

Quote:
"There would be a 50% probability of permanent damage in about 300 nanoseconds. I am not sure whether you call that blinding a person.

In about 500 microseconds, a large thermal burn will occur on the retina, causing a permanent large blind spot, a blood spurting ulcer on the retina, severe pain, and permanent damage to the vitreous humor.

If you missed getting the beam directly into the eye, the beam will hit the sclera, eyelids and other tissues. Within a couple of milliseconds, painful burns will result."
Quote:
"Instantly. 450nm ~blue/near uv. Specular reflections (reflection off something ball shaped] will find any eye looking. 10W is a LOT of power and even a glint will instantly cause blind spots if not outright blindness. Yes, the damage will be permanent."
The 50 kilowatts (kw) laser used in US army anti-drone stuff is 50,000W: or approximately 5000 times more powerful than the hypothetical 10W laser example cited above.

It doesn't matter if the optical sight used in the fire control system is coated with an anti-laser coating good against that laser; it just means it takes 50 milliseconds longer (number out of nowhere) to burn through to the internals of the system.

At that point; the best thing the optical system can do is to fail gracefully and go "dark" before the damaging laser energy can be transmitted to the crewman's eye(s).

Honestly, at this point; the best defense against laser attacks is to be moving fast enough and erratic enough that it becomes almost impossible for the laser tracker to lock onto an optical/thermal sight or vision block.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 06:25 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
.................But as the article notes they are getting precision fires because they're getting GPS targeting data from drones and spotters.

Regards,
Pat
While we're on that topic, has anyone used the drones we added last release?
Yes and the two times I have used it one got shot down, and the second it was useful but not gaming changing.