BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Private

DennisS is on a distinguished road
Smile Campaign Questions

Pardon me for being such a noob, but I have a couple of questions for the folks here.

I have started a campaign, 750 points. Brits vs. the Italians, 1940. I got a Northern Africa map, and my artillery just blew UP the Italian ground forces. Decisive win.

After I repaired what little damage my forces had, I then had the option of spending quite a lot of points to increase my core forces.

With a long campaign expected, how does that work? If I use all these points to buy new troops, then it will take a ton more points to keep them up and operational.

If I purchase more core units, doesn't the AI also gain an equivalent number of core points to go against me?

Also, I have a ka-billion points to spend on support units. I understand that these support units do not follow me from scenario to scenario, but does the computer ALSO get the same number of support units that I do?

If I don't use these support units, does the computer get to use them? I would get crushed, if this were to occur.

I purposefully chose 750 points, and modestly sized maps. I don't WANT an additional 1250 points to spend. 2000 points worth of units on a 40 x 40 map is overkill. Literally.

Help me out here folks, I be clueless. Thanks.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Corporal

Ironfist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaign Questions

Quote:
If I use all these points to buy new troops, then it will take a ton more points to keep them up and operational.
You can get more repair points for bigger core force.

Quote:
If I purchase more core units, doesn't the AI also gain an equivalent number of core points to go against me?

Also, I have a ka-billion points to spend on support units. I understand that these support units do not follow me from scenario to scenario, but does the computer ALSO get the same number of support units that I do?

If I don't use these support units, does the computer get to use them? I would get crushed, if this were to occur.
The AI force is determined according to your total force (core+sup), adjusted by EXP & MOR. Based on mission type, there is a ratio between AI force and yours. The ratio is of descending order for defend (2?), delay, meeting engagement(1), advance, assault(0.5?).

If you don't spend the support points or the core points, AI won't get extra units. AI force is determined on your real force.

Adjustment:
1. Game difficulty setting affects the repair points after each battle.

2. Under "Game Data" directory, there is a file "Campaign AI Point Adjustments.txt" describing how to modify "CamoGame.ini" to adjust AI force value.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Private

Yeehaw!

This next fight, in northern Somaliland, should be fun!

I won another excellent battle, another meeting engagement, and repaired up my troops.

Now, the 'puter tells me I have an "advance" mission. Wide open terrain, two clusters of victory hexes.

I have some 3 pound mortars...and only a couple of decent tanks. This is 8/40, and I am not seeing much in the way of tanks to this point.

So....I did what Monty would do...I purchased and entire battery of heavy artillery, and shall, in the immortal words of Gen. Curtis Lemay, "make the rubble dance."

I favor artillery for these sorts of advance missions...I am comfortable that he isn't going anywhere, and my moving troops MAY be less susceptible to his artillery. Counter-battery fire is a whole, 'nuther story. That happened in my last battle. I should consider the ol' shoot-n-scoot.

I also purchased four more tanks, and another company of infantry, with AT guns included.

Nary a tree in sight, moving over nice, smooth ground. My plan is to advance to contact, and shell each position in turn. Get yer earplugs ready, Tommy!

Thanks for the info. I LOVE this game!

Last edited by DennisS; December 15th, 2008 at 12:01 AM..
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

DennisS,

When you've got a few battles against the AI under your belt, try PBEM - you'll love it more!
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHale View Post
DennisS,

When you've got a few battles against the AI under your belt, try PBEM - you'll love it more!
Even given my strong background...I am a retired Master Sergeant..., and my interest in military history, I am still hesitant to jump into PBEM.

I played Tactics II back in the mid 60's, and played Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Ambush!, and about every variant of ASL that existed.

...throw in Victory Games, and other SPI and AH products in there as well.

With the advent of computer gaming, I believe that I have purchased and played almost all of the military themed, turn base strategy games out there.

I suppose the nearest to this would be Shattered Union..a really under rated game from Pop Top software.

Having said ALL this, a good human opponent would kill me. I do not have the ability to fully and completely integrate the battlefield, harmoniously blending artillery, infantry, air power and armor into a seamless, unstoppable force.

Give me a couple of months, and I might be up to the task. My learning curve is still pretty steep at this point.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

You have a strong background, listed some good games there so I am sure you will get there. It is the way to go once you feel you are capable of at least putting up a decent fight.
Joining a club is then the sensible thing to do as most have ranking systems so you can pick a low level player & work your way up.
Then you can start to wonder where your life went
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Joining a club is then the sensible thing to do as most have ranking systems so you can pick a low level player & work your way up.
I'm not sure about the others, but the Blitz has a mentoring program, were experts teach you. You can play against people who will help you through the ins and outs of the PBEM games. There are a number if differences between AI games and PBEM games that they will point out.

DennisS, what was your branch of the service? Your experience should translate well into the game. It's just a matter of learning the mechanics of the game so you can take what you know and make it happen in the game.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

[quote=DennisS;660239 I do not have the ability to fully and completely integrate the battlefield, harmoniously blending artillery, infantry, air power and armor into a seamless, unstoppable force. [/QUOTE]

Don't worry - few of us have attained that level of mastery!

If you don't like it, no-one will force you to play again.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
DennisS, what was your branch of the service? Your experience should translate well into the game. It's just a matter of learning the mechanics of the game so you can take what you know and make it happen in the game.
I am fond of telling folks that I wasn't in the military, I was in the Air Force. Not really fair, as there were (are) many warrior types. Having said that, I oftentimes felt that I should have been a platoon sergeant, taking care of my troops.

I like to play chess. Chess is all strategy, and no luck. Games with luck are not as challenging to me. I appreciate that there is a lot of luck inherent in combat...but you can maximize "luck" through proper training and planning.

As a former chess player, it was considered bad form to talk up your game. Here, I have ten posts. I am a noob. Doesn't matter what my background is, I have to pay my dues.

I am more than willing, once I get a handle on the game mechanics, to allow myself to get whupped like a rented mule. Sounds like fun!
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
I am fond of telling folks that I wasn't in the military, I was in the Air Force. Not really fair, as there were (are) many warrior types. Having said that, I oftentimes felt that I should have been a platoon sergeant, taking care of my troops.
You served your country as many on here have served theirs. Each branch of the service is as important as the other and they have their own individual mission, which if not performed puts the missions of the other branch's missions at risk.

Quote:
I like to play chess. Chess is all strategy, and no luck. Games with luck are not as challenging to me. I appreciate that there is a lot of luck inherent in combat...but you can maximize "luck" through proper training and planning.

As a former chess player, it was considered bad form to talk up your game. Here, I have ten posts. I am a noob. Doesn't matter what my background is, I have to pay my dues.
Just think of this as a huge chess game with many pieces on a very big board. There is a degree of "luck", but it balances out in the end. Do enough right things, you win.

Quote:
I am more than willing, once I get a handle on the game mechanics, to allow myself to get whupped like a rented mule. Sounds like fun!
Maybe early, but you will get things figured out.