.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM

BANNED USER

Bat/man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Father of Winters

Well, its hard to say counters without knowing your capabilities.

Some that come to mind, depending on his build, and your capabilities.

EarthMeld
Bow of Botulf
vineshields and/or entangle.
skelly spam (which your death oracles are good at)

Look for non resistable spells, and / or spells that don't require a save.
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

It's also hard to name specific counters without knowing the gear of the FoW. That said I'm only going to be commenting on already discussed options anyway.

Vine Bow - Easy to test if it works regardless of shield check or not. I don't use these often because I don't generally like them very much, but vine arrows entangle regardless of whether they hit or not. Vine bows should be the same as the spell, in theory, but it is vaguely possible that they don't.

Vine Shields - IIRC these rely on an MR test to see if you get entangled. If they don't, it's a strength test (but I'm very certain it's not). Again very easy to test (just get someone with a vine shield and have an elephant attempt to attack them). In either case though, a FoW is not an ideal target.

Defense has 0 effect on missiles. Only shield parry values or air shield can block missiles, and then it's up to protection to absorb them if that fails.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:04 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Trumanator informs me that what I said about vine shields is wrong. Well, this is why we preface with IIRC It's been so long since I've actually used them and had to know how they work that I'm not 100% sure of the mechanics. What I am sure of is that he has a very different idea of how they work than I do, and there have been wildly different theories on the exact mechanics in the past on the forums.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

There was a shield thread a long time along where extensive testing was done on vine shield, I believe the verdict was that it was definitely MR based. I'll dig it up and link if anyone is interested.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Please do.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:35 AM

First Lieutenant

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45988

Actually reading it again now refreshed a few things about shields I forgot from my dom break.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finalgenesis For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road

ok he has a ring of tamed lightning a talisman that allows him to raise the dead (forget the name) and a light weight scale mail. Bow of Botulf was the thing I was thinkinng of cuz that will make him feebleminded and negate his buff spells. Also what about the eye shield or whatever its called. If I blinded him in both eyes will he be able to attack? and is it MR?
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:11 AM

First Lieutenant

his equipment sounds pretty harmless, and no shields from the sound of it, a single botulf will feeble him.

He has no AoE attack (not even magical), lowish prot, no reinvig either, skelly spam, ethereal undead spam will end him pretty quickly. Assuming you have Ench 1, 1D mage can summon 10 skelly for 2D, based on the equipment description, 50 skellies can end him (10D worth) though you'll probably want a bit more as insurance. You can spam animate dead at the same time and be sure to stick a spirit curse on him. Of course if he has good spell access, experienced player control, and changed equipment you'll have to reassess.

It sounds like the game is still pretty early and research are weak, if that is not the case be sure to hold the undead back and scattered for 5 turns before letting them charge (or just use skelly spam spell), W has some scaled AoE anti-undead spell. A 8W cleansing water (evoc 4) for example could wipe out a big clump of weak undead.

Cold fearing, big, clumsy and trampler troops are pretty much the absolute worst thing to use against him.

eye shield is MR based, so you need something that can tank him for a few rounds, based on his gear I wouldn't bother arming thugs/SCs to counter him.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road

well I love the swarm spell....a lot cheaper on gems than 10D. I have taken down guys like this before with swarm....haah its kinda fun to watch him swat at those little bugs to no avail.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM

Private

Dahis39 is on a distinguished road

awaken FoW or Titan is what i gonna run on my next ma cealum mp XD.

As both natural air path Pretenders, air shield just counter all your bow tricks imo. Alos, dont forget mist or storm can be easily cast by cealum mages.

Last edited by Dahis39; May 9th, 2012 at 11:56 PM..