This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old February 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

It needs to be somewhat low because you still want to have hundreds of ships in combat right?
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

And don't forget those 3600+ ship battles!
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...?Number=328876
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Nodachi is on a distinguished road

Hey, I don't mind the limit being low. I was just pointing out that, yes, by comparison with games coming out today the limit is low. HL2 is really high-end but it doesn't have to have as many objects on screen as a 4x game.
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Sergeant

RudyHuxtable is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if my post is redundant, but I just can't see checking 134 pages of posts to find out:

I'm interested in seeing CAP (Combat Air Patrol) in SEV.

I've been playing a lot of War in the Pacific (www.matrixgames.com, trust me guys it's a masterpiece), and the idea that my fighters or pursuit craft would move to intercept without my having to take direct action would be great. Not reactionary CAP, but proactive, moving to intercept as ships pass within a few hexes of a planet where the complement is stationed. With the option of not sending them based on enemy fleet size. Kinda like opportunity fire, I suppose.

I know very little in the way of SEV details at this point. Is there a good place to find out "rumors" and confirmed features?

The Won-Ton Violence Take-Out Hut

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet intakes.

A Se+ GdY $ Fr! C+ Csc Sf Ai AuO M+ Mp* S Ss- RNSDH Pw- Fq Nd- RP+ G+++ Mm+ Bb++
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrategiaInUltima said:
Weapons that can only target certain ship sizes. In Capship, I've created several anti-capship weapons - meant as fire-support against capital warships, but there's no reason why you wouldn't simply use them on an Attack Scout to destroy it in one shot.
This can be simulated with to-hit chances..big weapons have -, small +, small ships + to defense, big - to defense.

And on the plague upgrades: I don't think that's a good idea. Better to have something more like a level (indicating the death rate) and a complexity (indicating how hard it is to cure).

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

OK... but I don't just want to-hit modifiers, I want IMPOSSIBILITIES. A Heavy Anti-Capital Ship Disruptor Cannon might have -500 to hit against, say, an Attack Scout, but the game would STILL use a 1% to hit chance... which means that one day you'll hit an attack scout and spread its molecules out over the entire Galaxy. And if you forget to deselect the Cannon when firing at the Attack Scout, the shot'd be wasted... bad thing with perhaps a 10 turn reload rate... and an enemy Assault Dreadnought moving in... And I also want anti-support (i.e. small) ship weapons - like light lasers, swarm missiles and stuff. I want them to be able to target ONLY ships under the size of Battle Destroyer.

(Note: In the above text, I'm talking Capship Mod ship sizes)
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Private

Siegebreaker is on a distinguished road

I would like a huge file with weapon and facility graphics, no matter if not use in the stock game, to use in mods.
Social drinker: +1 influence
Obsessional trainer: +1 morale to troops, forced march
Devout: -1 influence
Administratively inept: -2 management

Retinue:
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Because someone asked,.. The minimum version of DirectX that is/will be required to play SE5 is 7.0

There, now you have proof that I have posted in this thread.

Cheers!
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:56 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrategiaInUltima said:
OK... but I don't just want to-hit modifiers, I want IMPOSSIBILITIES. A Heavy Anti-Capital Ship Disruptor Cannon might have -500 to hit against, say, an Attack Scout, but the game would STILL use a 1% to hit chance... which means that one day you'll hit an attack scout and spread its molecules out over the entire Galaxy. And if you forget to deselect the Cannon when firing at the Attack Scout, the shot'd be wasted... bad thing with perhaps a 10 turn reload rate... and an enemy Assault Dreadnought moving in... And I also want anti-support (i.e. small) ship weapons - like light lasers, swarm missiles and stuff. I want them to be able to target ONLY ships under the size of Battle Destroyer.

(Note: In the above text, I'm talking Capship Mod ship sizes)
I don't see why it would be 'impossible' for a weapon to fire at ship just because it's really small. Sure, it might not be smart if you'll probably miss and could kill the thing ten times over with a single hit, but that shouldn't stop one from trying. And one should be able to fire light weapons at big ships, they just won't hurt it very much. The only restriction would be I think only PDC weapons should be able to hit missiles and fighters. Real Life example: An anti-ship missile launched at an aircraft carry stands absolutely no chance of being shot down by the guns mounted on destroyers or frigates, because the weapon system simply can't react fast enough, which is why most (American) carriers mount the Phalanx missile defence system which is a set of very small, extremely fast firing guns designed specifically to take out missiles.

Speaking of missiles:
A few suggestions to make them useful: Significantly longer range. At the moment one can close from maximum missile range to energy weapon range in 1-2 turns. I'd like to see this extended to around 6 even if the fleets are heading right for each other.
More speed. Missiles should be fast enough that even the best PDC should only have enough time to get off a shot or two at the missile before it hits.
More armor/reduced PDC damage. At the moment, a 20kT PDC can take down a 50kT missile with one hit, ergo a ship equipped with sufficient PDC would be virtually indestructable to a missile-laden ship of similar size. A missile should take 2-3 hits to destroy. At 2 hits to destroy, if combined with the speed idea, means a ship would require 2 PDCs to ensure a missile gets knocked down. This would bring things to a bit more even 40kT of PDC to counter 50kT of missile.
Chance-to-miss. At the moment PDCs are pretty much guaranteed-hit weapons. Creating a small chance to miss would create a situation where a heavy missile barage would stand a good chance of at least a few getting through the heaviest PDC screen.
More missile types. High speed missiles with small payloads, slower missiles with huge damage potential, MIRVs (the concept, anyway, since 're-entry' doesn't apply in space), big heavily armored ECM missiles designed to do minimal damage but increase the chances of the others getting through, uber-missiles -high speed, massive payload- designed to knock out the biggest ship-of-the-wall, etc.
I think the incorporation of these ideas would make missiles not only useful, but almost necessary armament on any decent sized-ship.
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM

Private

AngeldelaMuerte is on a distinguished road

Hey you're not the same Agent Zero who used to run around blowin stuff up on the old Galaxy of Fire BBS are you? Just askin cause it seems the two of you share a similar fixation on missiles.

For my own suggestion I'd like to see SEV have a goal or maybe several different goals that players would work towards. SEIVs victory conditions were just a bit vague. Get X number of points to win and that. Things like diplomatic victory where you have to make alliances with all the other alien races and also convince them all to make peace with each other. Or economic victory where your economic score exceeds a certain amount and also is a percentage above your closest rival. Sub-goals would be great too. Sort of like side-quests in roleplaying games where an event would happen and depending on how you reacted to it you could gain bonuses or rare technology. I think this would give players a much greater sense of purpose than with SEIV.
For I am Azrael, The Angel of Death,
And I have come for thee.