This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Death

I was thinking today while watching Sphere the movie, (The book was way better) and it occured to me that death could be what we imagine it to be.

For example, if you believe that when you die you will given 100 virgans and live in paradise for ever, then that is exactly what will happen.

However if you believe that you are going to hell, then hell will be waiting for you when you die.

What if you believe that there is nothing after death? Well then there isn't.

What if death is exactly what we believe it to be. A reward of a sort from life.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Corporal

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Death

Were you eating any strange mushrooms or oddly-colored popcorn while watching the movie?
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal:
Were you eating any strange mushrooms or oddly-colored popcorn while watching the movie?
No, but now that you mention it, that browny I ate had some funny green stuff in it.

Seriously, if you think about it, it does seem logical to think that what we believe death to be is exactly what it could be.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:20 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Atrocities, did you ever see the movie "What dreams may come" with Robin Williams? It's kind of along the lines of what you are thinking there. It's a very odd movie. Not everyone would like it, but I did a lot.

It would probably blow your mind though in your current contemplative state. You were warned.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No I have not seen the movie, but I am familar with it. Anything Robin Williams does seems to be good.

Except Insomnia (sp) bad bad movie.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Well, I was raised to believe in heaven and hell. Either you're saved and go to Heaven, or you're not and go to Hell. But that's organized religion for you. So, although that's a nice thought Atrocities, I don't know if it's true. Of course, no one knows what will happen until the time of their death. And then it's too late to tell anyone. And if you get the chance, watch What Dreams May Come. Good movie. Haven't seen Imsonia yet. And I want to see One Hour Photo. That looks it would be the better picture of the two anyway.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The thing is we were all tought one thing or another and I think it is a way of preparing our minds for our eventual death.

I belong to a club whos members never asked to join, and because of my membership I have a unique prespective on death that I hope non of you will ever understand.

So to me death is the end of the game, and the thing is we know exactly how the game will end so the game no longer is important. It is the journey that now becomes the focus, not mans petty life and death rules, but mans life of experiences and enjoyments that are gained through kindness and self exploration.

We are afterall the sum of our experiences, and it will be those experiences that I think will determine what death will be for us.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:22 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

If "Heaven" is what I think it should be then I have it made. Since I am adopting Wicca as my de facto Religion and Heaven is like they believe then cool I'm all set. At the moment I feel there aint no proof of anything so one can only hope.

"What Dreams are Made" is a great movie. I really enjoyed it.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:22 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

What happens after Death? I believe that we become 'Coporeal Lurkers'. So many of us here in the forums are more than ready, and won't be too surprised.

Of course those of us who do more posting than lurking will be severely shocked when we are forced to lurk and have no way to 'affect' the world as we know it.

nuf said. Cheers!
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Remember the movie where the man says if you point a gun at me in your dreams, you had better wake up and apologize?

Well, if any one ever dreams a bad thing about this game, then they should wake up and apolozie.

When I kick off, I would like to have my SE IV Gold, my Tribes 1 and 2 cds buried or creamated with me.

My big dream would be to have my ashes placed in a model of NCC 1701 and tossed out of the space shuttle into the oblivion of space.

(A few other things I want to come with me as well, but those are private.)