This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Parasite is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Official Complaints/Concerns/Opinions

The new forum at http://forum.shrapnelgames.com is blocked, or on a server that is blocked. I cannot reach it at work even during lunch or after I get off. The old site at http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com was not blocked. I don't know if a vanity URL or other link changes would fix this.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official Complaints/Concerns/Opinions

It probably has a filter picking up on the "games" in the URL.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:36 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Why it would be fun to be a drill-sergeant.

Ladies and gentlemen, as your commanding officer, let me reassure you that their will be certain changes around here. I use the term "reassure" because it is apparent to me, as it may or may not have become apparent to you in the course of your lives, duties, and idle personal philosophical contemplations, that life consists of, and is only, change. Change, which is the only constant in the constant, varietous cycle of alteration, consideration, dissemination, and decision, of and upon the facts of any given reality you may find yourself within.

Let me further reassure you that the reality you have currently found yourself floating around in, like the happy little sparks of divine light that you are, does in fact belong to me. Allow me expand upon my possession of the substance of All That Is, Was, and Ever Shall Be-In the essence of every molecule of air, physical law of the universe, gravitational wave, string-dimension. From every element of matter to every coil of DNA-yes, everything from your life-giving gonads to your fragile little teacups, from the dirt on your boots to the evil thoughts in your heads, to the hell that awaits, looming before you for thinking such blasphemies, closer with every passing minute you stand within my presence-has my name, and only my name, tattoo'ed on it in blocky, immutable, insoluble letters, prefaced in all cases by the abbrevation 'Maj. Gen.' Should I at some point achieve some higher rank-God perhaps, or Maj. God.-then this will be updated apace-and thorough-and you will be informed.

This singular reality that you have the special sort of karmic luck reserved only for the holiest of men and women, and for soldiers such as yourselves, to have found yourself within, shall be run as any respectable reality should be-on a divine timetable, which allows for mistakes, idleness, or whimsy, with precisely the same tolerance given by the very sun blazing over our heads, were the person or persons so willing to refute the laws of reality itself, to find themselves crashing into it at high velocity. Gentlemen, ladies-consider me that sun-for I am, from this point forward, the source of all meaningful life as you know it. More than your father, more than your mother, more than the passions of faith that beat in your breasts for the mysteries that confront you and confound you, I am henceforth your salvation-should you respect my orders enough to carry them out, and your distruction-should you fail to abide by the laws of my Universe.

You are-other than from my all-seeing, all-knowing eyes-dismissed.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM

Colonel

???
Map Forge - Map editor
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to ask what are these page paddings for? On my display with 1280x1024 resolution I see the 150px left and right paddings which means 300px of unused space.
As a web developer and a bit designer I just can't explain myself the reasons due to which that space is wasted. Can anyone?
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Colonel

From the "PLEASE READ RE: site conversion" thread:

Quote:
SITE DESIGN: As far as site design goes, the basic structure of the forums have only had two changes: colors and fixed width. I’ve already covered the colors above, fixed width has been done in order to make the whole site seem more like a cohesive unit versus previously where the forums almost seemed separate from our main pages. You will notice we are also using the same URL as the main site versus the old www.shrapnelcommunity.com. The rest of the forums are exactly the same in construct: header/banners at the top and a side bar for press releases/links/etc so I don’t see where anyone should be complaining about those elements.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I've noticed when browsing between topics it takes anywhere from 7 to 12 seconds to load unlike the old forums. When visiting other forums on different websites the browsing between topics it loads 3 seconds or less.

I'm suggesting shrapnelgames does a quick investigation in comparing their forum browsing against other forums.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
I've noticed when browsing between topics it takes anywhere from 7 to 12 seconds to load unlike the old forums. When visiting other forums on different websites the browsing between topics it loads 3 seconds or less.

I'm suggesting shrapnelgames does a quick investigation in comparing their forum browsing against other forums.
Does this happen consistently? I'm wondering if maybe you caught us during a backup or while Richard and Mindi were working on the search database.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Okay, I just spent the past hour playing Space Invaders only to get to the end and find that my score wouldn't be saved! That's when I realized that I was no longer logged in. Is there a timeout for forum inactivity that would have caused that?
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R. Krol View Post
Okay, I just spent the past hour playing Space Invaders only to get to the end and find that my score wouldn't be saved! That's when I realized that I was no longer logged in. Is there a timeout for forum inactivity that would have caused that?

There is, in fact. I hate it. Did you seriously just play Space Invaders for over an hour straight? Ouch!