BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Private

Pfor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M27 105mm Recoilless Rifle in obat12

Per the TC-31 referred to above, the 75-mm RR section was to assume a predominantly HE role, since its AT performance was apparently so lacking.

The book you refer to threw me for a loop also, since I simply couldn't get the numbers to work that way. However, that doesn't mean that the AT Platoon was not reorganized as the book describes - perhaps on a unit by unit MTOE basis.

As far as I know, the section leader / ammunition truck disappeared with the introduction of the ROAD divisions in the early 1960's and has never been brought back.

On the question of sources for the H-Series, Carlisle will photocopy stuff at a price. I found it was getting too expensive on account of extra flat fee surcharges levied on foreign enquiries, as well as the vast number of changes that were made to this series.

Instead of that, my choice is hours and hours combing internet sites and on-line used-book sellers' (incl. e-bay) catalogues over and over again. After all, this is a hobby for me - not a job!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pfor For This Useful Post:
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Private

Basileus Ioannis is on a distinguished road

My circumstances exactly...Cold War TOEs are surprisingly hard to find online, and I've had to collect field manuals to cross reference and corroborate other sources. Army online historical works have shed some light, but these don't usually go into the detail level I need for TOE research. There are occasional gems, like A Study of the Maneuver Battalion Reconnaissance or Scout Platoon by MAJ Craig Harju Sr from 1989, which cover armored and cavalry unit scout and recon platoons in some detail, but infantry scout/recon coverage is spotty. Other sources like the Grunt Online site started out with odd org tables (the green text on black background pages), then went to more recognizable org tables with the black text on white background redo (but still no actual TOEs). The two things that actually got me started on TOE research were both printed material in the late 1970s/early 1980s: a ROCO Minitanks catalog with a full H-series mech battalion in vehicle silhouettes, and a booklet called The World's Major Armies by Enola Games, a now-defunct wargames company, which had H-series equipment tables for just about everything...unfortunately both of these were lost over the years, but they got the ball rolling

John
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Private

Pfor is on a distinguished road

I'd be open to trading answers to those pesky nagging questions - either in a USA Cold War OOB thread or private messaging as you (or the moderators) may prefer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pfor For This Useful Post:
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:46 PM

Private

Basileus Ioannis is on a distinguished road

Thanks Pfor, I'll keep you in mind when I come across another brick wall...and man, I got all excited when I found a recent listing from Military Books for that Enola's World's Major Armies booklet too, and darn if it wasn't gone already!

John