Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Fatigue is not very realistic!? - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fatigue is not very realistic!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
Hey, elephants exist. So, in an imaginary fantasy world, how contrived are giants?
Very.

You may have noticed things like elephants spend most of their times on 4 legs, and aren't at all proportional to humans.
But, clearly, if any form is a size, all things can be that size. That's why we keep seeing the thousand kilogram ants all over the place. The square cube law is obviously nonsense, as are details like "temperature regulation within the body" or "pressure exerted upon the ground by varying sized surfaces".
What?

Anyways, I'm sure there are materials tougher than hydroxylapatite and that fictional muscle tissue could be pound for pound stronger than what we see in real life. Giants would have to compensate by eating a lot more is all. A lot more.
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post

Very.

You may have noticed things like elephants spend most of their times on 4 legs, and aren't at all proportional to humans.
But, clearly, if any form is a size, all things can be that size. That's why we keep seeing the thousand kilogram ants all over the place. The square cube law is obviously nonsense, as are details like "temperature regulation within the body" or "pressure exerted upon the ground by varying sized surfaces".
What?

Anyways, I'm sure there are materials tougher than hydroxylapatite and that fictional muscle tissue could be pound for pound stronger than what we see in real life. Giants would have to compensate by eating a lot more is all. A lot more.
I've heard that before. It leads to entertaining stories about engineering designs which called for material-properties that no material actually has. This is a dangerous area to make assumptions in, because people's intuitions for this stuff is *really really bad*. Even trained professionals don't have very good intuitions about plausibility of material properties *after they've specced out the exact requirements* - they need to go check those against real materials. (True story btw. Or rather, many true stories - of designs which were perfectly sound works of engineering if you ignored the fact that the required material properties could not be found in reality. At least one such story relates to an aerospace design).

I'm also reminded of the Manhattan project requesting more Osmium than existed in the solar system. By over an order of magnitude.

Keep in mind that there are more constraints on muscle and bone than 'have a requisite strength', and you have to solve for all those constraints simultaneously.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old February 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't know what the world of Dominions is made of. The sun is literally a floating disk,FFS.
Let's say that boron is the base of giant bones. In our world, there probably wouldn't be enough for several species of giants. But who's to say that the Dominions is the same? The reason we're short of boron here is because it's not formed by stellar nucleosis, unlike the far more common hydrogen and carbon. But in Dominions, we don't know how the world was created. Boron could be plentiful enough for it to be a part of a giant's skeletal system. It's certainly strong enough.
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excist View Post
Squirreloid, you just made my day with your last few posts outgeeking the OP. Well done!
As the OP, I don't get this. Is it just my paranoia, or am I upsetting some people with my perfectly normal question?

I'm not criticising the game, if that matters, I was merely observing that in, IMHO, for a game which models much stuff in greater detail, fatigue seemed to me less realistic. The 100 level limit + fixed encumberance fatigue applying across all sizes doesn't have the subtlety of some other areas. But I have also read the replies here and understand the alternatives and the compromise.
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We don't know what the world of Dominions is made of. The sun is literally a floating disk,FFS.
Let's say that boron is the base of giant bones. In our world, there probably wouldn't be enough for several species of giants. But who's to say that the Dominions is the same? The reason we're short of boron here is because it's not formed by stellar nucleosis, unlike the far more common hydrogen and carbon. But in Dominions, we don't know how the world was created. Boron could be plentiful enough for it to be a part of a giant's skeletal system. It's certainly strong enough.
...And what do you know about Boron chemistry?

Is boron's or boron nitride's structurally useful form thermodynamically preferred to its other states? (I highly doubt that, in much the same way that graphite is thermodynamically preferred to diamond).

Boron is a weak conductor at STP, but at higher temperatures becomes a good conductor. (Bone, otoh, does not really conduct at all). AT the very least this would suggest a vulnerability to lightning.

Is there a good chemical process by which boron could be laid down in a prescribed pattern during gestation, or permit growth? (organisms have to be viable at all points of ontogeny).

Is boron sufficiently inert to not chemically interact with surrounding tissues?

How does the giant's body isolate pure boron in the first place? Its not easy. And the thermodynamics of the process are best described as 'spectacular'.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What?

Sarcasm is what. The elephant-giant comparison is bad enough that sarcasm was really the only option.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

Its not wrong that the weapon does the same damage if its the same object.
The actual damage in dominions is weapon damage + stenght
so giants do more damage due to their strenght. I do not see the point there. The same sword awards the same damage because its the same piece.
And why do the bigger units have to get different fatigue? I have issues with other things like a spear doing 3 damage and a sword 5. Why the spear does little if they stick inside people while sword cuts people.