Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
this was a bummer... - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:47 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default this was a bummer...

i was reading on this forum(i think it was in "the future of dom III) that basically, in the upper level games, everyone plays the same(scales set to high magic, sloth-all players using the same summoning spells, national troops/summons basically ignored). is this true? the best thing about dom has always been(in my opinion) so many options. what a shame to think at the highest levels there is only one way to play.

is this true? if so, would it effect me, a newbie? and also, are there any newbies left? i mean, the game has been out awhile.

just some musings...
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: this was a bummer...

YES it is absolutely true.

If by everyone you mean everyone on this forum. The other forums with Dom3 populations also tend to play the same, but not the same as this forum. Also the are the various Dom3 IRC channels. Part of the problem isnt just that they play the same but that they tend toward playing the same game all the time. The same game settings and the same size or style of map tends to define what nations and tactics are strong or weak.

There is a thread here about game variations but its rare to see one of them tried.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35083
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

err... what?

Absolutely untrue.

There is a set of spells which sees frequent use in lategame. However, this set of spells comprises multiple distinct strategies. Especially since mods like CBM and EDM have actually increased the range of plausible options.

FWIW, the SA community uses a rather similar array of options in lategame as this forum's community, with certain predictable changes based upon differences in mods. (Ie, stuff that sucks outside of CBM doesn't get used in non-CBM games. The awesome mod series by ninjadebugger has made certain units viable that weren't before).

Current CBM has multiple known viable endgame strategies.

Now, certain battlefield enchantments are basically required lategame, but stuff like Fog Warriors is simply too powerful to be ignored and nothing else does anything remotely like what it does (and it stacks with everything else). Of course spells like that are going to be used by everyone who can.

Midgame is even more diverse, with piles of different strategies.

And all of that is before even considering nation-specific spells.

Gandalf, afaik you haven't played an MP game in *years*, I don't know why you think you can say that MP games always end in the same spells being used.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Also for game variants not being used, yeah, sure, CBM (and maybe vanilla on this forum?) are dominant, but there is at least one Cataclysm and one Randomocalypse game up on this very forum and one Cataclysm game on the other one. There are also other games, some of which I'm pretty sure run one of the two mods. Sure though, same strategies will apply (especially in Cataclysm) in the endgame, but early and mid game are wildly different in both of those.

Now I need to get utterly frustrated with my current coding project so I can get the motivation to finish the sprite-generating NationGen for even more interesting random nations. Current iteration generates some pretty interesting results (for example black human samurais, oriental lizardmen (see my avatar!), cavalry with battleaxes and naked tower shield crossbowmen) along with stuff that's pretty much the same that's in the game already. It just lacks proper mage and sacred generation (with sacreds especially being potentially fairly wild) and needs varying rewrites in other areas. Sadly developing Dominions 3 content isn't very rewarding.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bullock is on a distinguished road

Wow i'm surprised by your answer Gandalf.
I think it's totally untrue to say that it's always the same dom & spells used.
Concerning the dom there is some popular pick (for instance +1 magic scale) but dom settings are usually set to fit the nation choice but also the strategy you are planning.

Now concerning spells there are the popular ones (such as fog warrior mentioned earlier) but finally i think 90% of the spells are usable, some ofc only in niche use.

However i haven't the experience of many ppl here, but dom3 sounds to me complex enough in MP so you can't win by just applying a common guide (such as Baalz's) despite his high quality.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Gandalf, I wish you would stop repeating unfounded comments like this. It's very frustrating. I understand that you were just using the question as a platform to advertise the diversity between communities, which is one of your favourite points, but you ended up basing your answer on misinformation.

To answer the question, early in dom3's life it was a bit like that. However, changes in subsequent patches, along with the Conceptual Balance Mod*, have greatly improved things. There is now an extremely diverse range of options available regardless of player level.

As to whether there are any newbies - yes, there seems to be a surprisingly steady stream of newbies, which is great. If you look in the MP forum then a lot of the games are described as "for newbies".

* - I think I can still trumpet CBM despite being its current maintainer, since the large majority of the work in it was done before my time.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:03 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Heh.

Don't believe a word you hear about a grand unified field theory...

Some joker will set you up if you don't change your tactics from time to time...

And that's in the game, not just the start...

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

So many disagreements Thank you.
But no one here is going to nibble and start up an extreme alternative game setting to PROVE the point? The surprise at how such games totally trash the usual "everyone knows" about what is great or what sucks is so much fun (which isnt really obvious unless you play outside a specific group). We could use abit more creativity around here from the same size maps and same game goals which obviously sparked the original comment. Review the games options. Think outside the menu.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

People already do that Gandalf. I don't know where your comments come from.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

And to answer the other question about Noobs. Yes. 2 weeks ago I had never played an MP game and Now I'm 2 Noob games and hopefully a 3rd soon. They are very enjoyable and you learn a lot from watching and the boards. They take very little time also. There is a one that still needs 1 player and another 1 just starting if you would like to join.