.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Battle script substitution?

I was under the impression that if a mage cannot execute one command in his script (e.g. he doesn't have enough gems, or his level isn't currently high enough) he would skip and proceed to the next command. However, I think in this situation I noticed a mage substitute a command of his choice on that round, and then get back on script next round. (Which was dumb, because what he substituted used gems, and messed up later stuff.)

So what does mage do if he can't perform a command --- skip or substitute?
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:16 AM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battle script substitution?

substitute.So if you want to manage him properly always set him to cast whatever he can cast, otherwise he can cast something crazy that you don't want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbz For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

I had not appreciated that at all (wondered if it was feeble-minded or something). That makes a lot of difference. I had laid out so that expensive spells were at the beginning, without worrying too much about whether I had the gems or ability, assuming he just worked down the list. Now I have to consider he may choose something else, and worse spend gems I want for later on it.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

OK, let me try another one. It's to do with what mages "can" or "can't" or "won't" do.

I'm think especially of holy spells, like bless, sermon or banish.

For bless/sermon, do I detect that mages recast it even if everyone who could be has already been blessed/sermoned? I think maybe they don't if Divine Blessing/Fanaticism has been cast, but otherwise they seem to? Or does that only apply to sermon, not bless?

For banish, I could be wrong (often am!), but sometimes I see banish cast when I don't see any undead at all.

For non-holy spells which require a specific "target", if target not available, does that count as a "substitute"? Say I have "Magic Duel" scripted and there are no Astral opponents --- I guess that means he substitutes... oh dear!
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM

First Lieutenant

Bless works only if you have valid targets still unblessed. About Sermon im pretty sure you can cast it constantly because the morale value changes with battle. So casting couple of sermon/Fanaticicsms is a good idea to keep the morale of the army in check.(especially if you are a monkey nation).

About banish there must be a target either undead, or demon around for it to trigger.

Question 3 same answer: if you have no one to magic duel against, your mage will just cast something random.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

Ah, I did not realise that you could Fanaticise/Sermon more than once on a unit --- I assumed, like a buff, there was a one-time raise of morale and no possible re-affectation.

When you banish, can you accidentally (by missing, or via AoE) banish your own undead (I assume you cannot accidentally bless/sermon opponents)? Banish does not have the 100 Precision of other holies.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM

First Lieutenant

I'm not 100% sure about the fanaticism, i'd have to test it.But I'm pretty sure thats how it acted when I was playing around with it.

About banish yea you can banish your own undead. And about bless I don't think you can but I haven't tried it.

Edit:
Test Results: you can't bless enemy troops even if it hits their sqare.

Thats is different from other spells like quickness, marble warriors, legions of steel that work on enemy troops as well.

I think there was something about when you enslave mind some blessed creature and the bless changes from theirs to yours but don't remember it exactly.

Last edited by bbz; May 6th, 2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I haven't tested it recently but I'm about 95% sure Sermon of Courage and Fanaticism only work once per unit and will thus not be cast once everyone within range has been affected. They give a static bonus that's shown if you click on the Morale section of the unit. Even if the unit is affected by fear or something, he still has the morale boost and can't get it again.

I didn't think Legions of Steel and the other buff spells affected enemy units, but I don't know if I ever really checked.
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:26 AM

First Lieutenant

I've checked about quickening or weapons of sharpness. And they both work. Easiest test use some fliers to fly in first round and then as the defender set some big aoe buffs.

Last edited by bbz; May 6th, 2012 at 09:34 AM..
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

There is one strange thing that can happen. Say you have a d1 mage, that is set to cast a d1 spell that uses 2 dgems. (possible to mod) then the spell will be listed as cast (nothing will happen) but the mage will immediately cast a different spell. (which will also be listed).

This can look a bit strange.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453