BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 22nd, 2021, 10:11 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Turret Question and game question

Okay, we know that the vehicles can take track damage, road wheels, wheels, etc...and become immobile. But I have never seen any vehicle take a hit the immobilizes the turret, I have seen weapons were taken out and such, but nothing that locks the turret. Can turrets be damaged to where they are locked to one facing in the game?

So is it a code issue that makes things harder to code per se or is it something that might happen one day in the game?
The Following User Says Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old October 23rd, 2021, 01:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turret Question and game question

No, turrets cannot be jammed.

It would be a whole lot of code to make the AI aware of that fact and not worth the bother. Turrets and hulls can spin an infinite amount at no cost anyway no matter if the turret is a tiger 1 or a sherman or a modern MBT so it would not give you anything as the unit would insta-spin to put the gun on target anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 23rd, 2021, 10:07 AM

BANNED USER

Thank you Mobhack.
Old October 24th, 2021, 06:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

There is a case where the all the weapons of the vehicle save for the AAMG are disabled by a successful shot. That is the closest to the "turret's busted" scenario I can think of.
Old October 24th, 2021, 10:59 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
There is a case where the all the weapons of the vehicle save for the AAMG are disabled by a successful shot. That is the closest to the "turret's busted" scenario I can think of.
Yes, I pointed out seeing that, what I was asking was damage causes the turret to lock in a single facing like how it does for immobilizing a vehicle. But as Andy says the coding is not worth the trouble.
Old October 24th, 2021, 01:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Quote:
Yes, I pointed out seeing that, what I was asking was damage causes the turret to lock in a single facing like how it does for immobilizing a vehicle. But as Andy says the coding is not worth the trouble.
Additionally to do it "right" the turret would have to remain fixed in the direction it was pointing when it was deemed inoperative.

A lot of work for a tiny detail

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old October 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Quote:
Additionally to do it "right" the turret would have to remain fixed in the direction it was pointing when it was deemed inoperative.

A lot of work for a tiny detail
And it would need to have been "baked in" from the start into the game engine. Something like charging a fraction of a game turn for a hull or turret turn. But then how to do AT guns which have 0 MP?. And then what do you do if the tank is turning the hull one way and the turret t'other?.

Loads and loads of micro management possibilities which only the "river counter" types would consider of any benefit. "Oh, you have to set up a turn in a dialogue and then you add a sub menu for the turret co-traverse, oh kewl - moah realism!" - yep, there are rivet counter detail freak micromanager types out there. But we dont cater to them since SP's selling point was the lack of such detailed stuff, regular players could jump right in and "do stuff" unlike say a rivet-counter flight sim with a 6 inch thick manual with 24 pages of switchology to turn the motors on, wait for correct operating temp and then 12 pages on "how to taxi to the takeoff point"....

I played around with flight sims in the 80s. Then I got an introductory flying lesson for a birthday present - flying a real plane was way simpler than a computerised simulator!. In the plane, everything was natural, look left to runway - easy, turn onto heading - ditto. Flight sim was F2 look left, f1 look to instruments to turn, no "seat of the pants" feeling of the turn with your eyes naturally locked on. I always crashed flight sims trying to line up and land, no bother in the cessna (the instuctor took control as I crossed the threshold, but up to then on my first flight I had it all sussed!).

Steel Panthers was always about ease of operation for the end user. SP3 for example added platoon objectives and command points - however those were entirely optional and I never heard of any player that sdmitted to using them on forums/newsgroups. I played with them a bit but eventually they went back off again as they really did not add much and were an additional layer of faffing about was all.

The game isnt for the rivet counters, though these do unfortunately turn up now and again with lists of 999 "points of order" to "make the game more realistical" in thier minds...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 24th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Turret Question and game question

As I've read this and not to belabor the point, lets not forget tank turrets can be manually operated as well. Obviously a slower process, but it can be done.

Just another set of complications such as how do you access turret damage to allow for or disable such an option, at how many degrees can it be turned in a TURN to engage a target. How fast can the crew turn it? Might have to base that on crew EXPRIENCE I would think!?!

It just keeps on "Snow Balling" into infinitive.

I'm with Andy, though better nowadays, go get a flight sim or some such!!

I leave you with the U.S. Patent for a manual turret device for the M1A1 ABRAMS, so get "CRANKING" you "Rivet Counters"
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4867037A/en

Would this be a good time to ask again about helicopters being able to "auto rotate" and land instead of always just crashing!?!

For the record and in light of full disclosure as some might remember, that was my "rivet counter" suggestion a few years back.

But this was a good topic question.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 24th, 2021 at 09:06 PM..
Old November 29th, 2021, 05:38 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

I am trying to remember other games which had the feature (damaged turret locked in place).
Not necessarily wargames.

I can't remember any. There are four games which I don't remember if they did or did not and I am currently too lazy to check.
Sherman M4 (Loriciel)
Battle Command (Ocean)
Team Yankee (Empire Simulation)
Conqueror (Superior Software)
Mind you none of them is like winSPMBT.
Of them I think I remember Conqueror having the feature, like I am 51% certain. The rest perhaps 30%.
There might be others that might have it, but right now I can't think of any.

EDIT: My point is, I don't think it's a feature that for whatever reason, was added in games with turreted vehicles. Unless we go for naval sims, but then we probably are a bit off.