.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Call for Captains

Advertisement.
Call for Captains

Noobs and Vets II, the second game in the Noobs and Vets series and my fifth large scale team game has entered the early recruitment phase. Before we can begin, we should have captains for all of the teams.

I am in need of veterans or intrepid intermediates with the courage, conviction, and abilities to step up to the challenge and helm one of the four teams. Each team has their own set of strengths, specific pretenders, and abilities, but only one will achieve ultimate victory.

Children of Crom:

"But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth"

With earth, fire, siegecraft, forging, arms, armor, the enigma of steel, powerful priests and inquisitors, specific thematic pretender choices including the Forge Lord, the Cyclops, and the Scorpion King, the Children of Crom have the might, magic, and muscle needed to smash the opposition burn them to cinders.

Sanguinarium:

"There WILL be blood!"

The combination of blood, nature, death, stealth armies, vampires, reanimated legions of vine creatures, serpents and other creeping things, suggests the Sanguinarium team has everything it needs to ensure that their enemies drown in lakes of their of own blood.

Supplicants of Set

"Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature"
- Marcus Aurelius

What exactly is this secret? If the Supplicants have their way, their enemies will discover the answer sooner than they had expected. Death, dying, necromancy, conjuration, enchantment, the spirit world, toxic natural substances, these are the tools of their dark art. The Lich Queen, Master Lich, Ghost King, and Prince of Death, just a few of their horrific practitioners.

The Usurpers:

"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord ... it is best to win without fighting"
- Sun Tzu

Such is the the theme of the Usurpers, led by the bizarre and otherworldly R'lyeh (aka The Gimp). Masters of astral magic, thaumaturgy, mind control, magic research, and time and space travel, the Usurpers are easily able to mentally commune with one another to increase their power and to reach out and blast the minds of their opponents or turn them against one another without the need for much physical combat.

Have the guts to answer the call?

Find out more here:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45227

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; March 31st, 2010 at 02:50 PM..
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Call for Captains

Update: Ashdod has been added to the Children of Crom (with a few caveats) giving them now an even greater chance of victory and more power.

Intermediates or vets who desire to lead a team, there is still plenty of time to join. See link above.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

More critical acclaim for NaV II from newbie players to more experienced players keeps pouring in:

"Fantastic"
- Doo (new Dom3 player)

"A brilliant game with many features"
- Sombre, Dom3 "Luminary"

No guts, no glory!

"Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm"
- Publilius Syrus

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Septimus, you are quoting me completely out of context. This is flat out intellectual dishonesty. The above quote is from a sarcastic response to Septimus trying to advertise this game in the maps and mods forum, somewhere it absolutely didn't belong.

But since you want a quote from a 'luminary' - let me extract a couple from my earlier response to your unsolicited game invitiation.

"I don't want to play in your game because it looks terrible, I hear it's terrible and (this part of the quote would break the forum rules, so it is suppressed)." - Sombre

"Literally every person I have spoken to about you or your games has had nothing but negative things to say." - Sombre

Last edited by Sombre; April 7th, 2010 at 08:45 AM..
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well, what do you know. I can even take a sarcastic and mean-spirited quote from yourself and use it for constructive purposes. Isn't that something?

Now hurry and join NaV II. We have leaderless noobs waiting for your "visionary" leadership. If I don't deliver the best team game experience you've ever had, and if you don't have the greatest time you've ever had in any game, I will retire from admining and hand off the admin of game 3 to someone else. That is my guarantee. And I stand behind it.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; April 7th, 2010 at 02:58 PM..
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Well if you really want it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Well, what do you know. I can even take a sarcastic and mean-spirited quote from yourself and use it for constructive purposes. Isn't that something?

Now hurry and join NaV II. We have leaderless noobs waiting for your "visionary" leadership. If I don't deliver the best team game experience you've ever had, and if you don't have the greatest time you've ever had in any game, I will retire from admining and hand off the admin of game 3 to someone else. That is my guarantee. And I stand behind it.
First, instead of apologizing for your blatant intellectual dishonesty, you wallow in it, proclaiming how incredibly clever you are for thinking of it. You then deliver a hilarious speech that would be the envy of any chop-shop salesmen, complete with meaningless guarantees.

Quote:
Intellectual dishonesty? Ha. If there is any of that going on it must be on your part Sombre and your being dishonest with yourself (perhaps hiding a begrudging admiration for someone who tries to create something unique). Chaining together mods in tiny team dueling duo games and calling it unique is not the same as the many diverse elements of NaV II, which does differ significantly from much of the standard fare one usually finds listed here on Shrapnel. But anything that is different and unique should be applauded even such games.
You then follow up sombre and Graeme's posts with this gem. Tell me, how does one even type bull**** like "perhaps hiding a begrudging admiration for me" with a straight face? If this isn't evidence of an ego the size of the Empire State Building then I don't know what is. Not to mention the self congratulation that you engage in regarding your supposed valiant efforts to be an iconoclast.

Quote:
Sombre, I cautioned about know-it-alls, who think they own these forums, and have a license to insult others. Everyone can clearly see what I mean. Your right though, perhaps I was a dolt, thinking you might actually have some good intent and I guess I could not really fathom how idiotic and childish a player would have to be to post such things. I'm not whining about your foolish attacks, just pointing them out. Can you think or come up with something more than silly sarcasm? But you have succeeded partly in forcing me to drop down to your level and that itself is a shame.
Finally, you here resort to the "others are mean to me" defense. Of course, the only problem with this defense is that it requires the poster to really be worthy of saving, which is manifestly not the case here. Notice that you haven't gotten any positive feedback or others leaping to your defense.

Quote:
Hmmm, well I generally thought it was only Sombre who had some difficulty understanding the difference between good natured advertising for advertising's sake and egomania and the difference between legit posts for information and discussion purposes and advertising. Trumanator, you should know me better. But feel free to keep posting on this thread, I've never been one to shy away from controversy. Give me the best ya got.
You know, most good natured advertising doesn't misrepresent the facts. As for "knowing you better," believe me, knowing you better does not at all help people's opinion of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trumanator For This Useful Post:
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yes, it's intellectual dishonesty. I thought we covered that.

You aren't doing it to be constructive, you're doing it to troll and promote your game and by extension, yourself. Just like every post of yours I've read.

But go ahead and keep whining that everyone who criticises your behaviour is just being a dick and people don't want to join your games because they're herd animals, afraid to try new things who lack the courage and vision to join you in your heroic attempt to save the community.

I guess it's a lot easier than taking responsibility for your torrent of passive aggressive posts or accepting that you've driven away the people who initially thought your games were actually a good idea.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road

More quotes:

"Personally, I try to avoid notions of what is "normal", "usual", "customary", and or "coventional"." - Septimius Severus

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...&postcount=795
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Intellectual dishonesty? Ha. If there is any of that going on it must be on your part Sombre and your being dishonest with yourself (perhaps hiding a begrudging admiration for someone who tries to create something unique). Chaining together mods in tiny team dueling duo games and calling it unique is not the same as the many diverse elements of NaV II, which does differ significantly from much of the standard fare one usually finds listed here on Shrapnel. But anything that is different and unique should be applauded even such games.

Old April 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Intellectual dishonesty? Ha.
Yes. You are misrepresenting his position through selective quoting. It's also known as lying if one isn't trying to be diplomatic.

Quote:
But anything that is different and unique should be applauded even such games.
Not really. There are an infinite number of things that are different and unique and which also don't deserve to be applauded.
Closed Thread