.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ban-a-thon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
On more thing while we're on the subject and then I'm done with it...

It may be obvious to many that I am on Sombre's side. But here's why:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...ell#post739462

A moderator on this forum threatened to make Sombre's life a living hell.

This is so out of line that I cannot even begin to express my disgust. When I read this I was furious and intent on contacting the admins about this. However, I waited 'till I had a chance to get Sombre's take on it... he wasn't happy, but he was nowhere near as incensed as I. So, I didn't pursue it any further... but if your curious where Sombre's "lack of respect for the mods" originated, I suspect you need look no further than the above referenced post.

But in a context of "That said, I love you both. Play nice and go to your rooms" as he wrote below.

What can I say.. "Don't be evil". That's the only phrase comes to mind. I don't appreciate much how admins managed all the situation in result - forums which looks like a battlefield with a lot of corpses around doens't look like a good job.. But really. You should take context to account.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road

FWIW (probably not a lot, as I realise), I'll be staying away from this forum as well in the future. The behaviour of Shrapnel officials in this matter, or even this thread is no longer an athmosphere and community I wish to participate in, given that even their own mods in the other forums here are quite happy to be downright rude to anyone who dares offer a suggestion for improvement. As such, I'll also stop buying or promoting Shrapnel products in the future.

Old May 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
So, others can talk about "what happened" earlier in the thread, but Squirrelloid can't talk about "what happened"?

Did I drink a liter of scotch without realizing it? Because I'm confused.

Oh. Wait... I get it. After the thread is opened, there's no longer any need to discuss "what happened"? Because it's all there in the original thread. And Squirrelloid's post was deleted because it had inappropriate content or violated the ToS somehow?

I got it.

Nope... sorry, Lou. I lost it.
Depending on your point of view, Squirrelloid's post can either be seen as an accurate description of events, as a complete misrepresentation of them or as something in-between. The content of the post exists, but in the interests of avoiding more acrimony on the boards, it really is better if people read the Managing Communions - the sombre challenge thread for themselves and form their own opinion.
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Its amazing how all the wanne-bees jump to the troublemakers side. Rules are rules and i have no idea how anyone could claim "i dont buy shrapnel anymore" when all they did was was enforcing the rules which everyone agreed to when registering and using the board anyway. I can the punishment was obviously harsh, but it was their choice no matter what.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnarok-X For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Sergeant

Juffos is on a distinguished road

Everybody is sad, nobody is happy. Isn't it sad, everybody?

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
Its amazing how all the wanne-bees jump to the troublemakers side. Rules are rules and i have no idea how anyone could claim "i dont buy shrapnel anymore" when all they did was was enforcing the rules which everyone agreed to when registering and using the board anyway. I can the punishment was obviously harsh, but it was their choice no matter what.
The point is that what the other community saw as injustice, namely, Sombre cussing or somesuch occasionally, making angry posts, never getting any public reprimand for it and then BAM permaban out of nowhere due replying that he does not care about the 10pt infraction he got. I'm certain that the situation is more complicated than that, but that's what it certainly looks like to most. Like one person on IRC said, it looks like the general idea of sombres ban was that not caring about a punishment (the 10pt infraction thing) permits a permaban.

Now, I don't agree with Shrapnels policy of banning him, but I recognize that this is their forum, and we must abide by their rules. Some people made good points in the night of long knives -thread, like that the rules say that generally you get three temp bans before a permanent one. The modding community has really lost important people due all this crap hitting the fan, like Sombre and Burnsaber, and the community as whole has lost a lot due people leaving in disgust due to Shrapnels take on this whole situation.

Juffos, we're all sombre due the situation, aren't we?
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
Quote:
The point is that what the other community saw as injustice, namely, Sombre cussing or somesuch occasionally, making angry posts, never getting any public reprimand for it and then BAM permaban out of nowhere due replying that he does not care about the 10pt infraction he got. I'm certain that the situation is more complicated than that, but that's what it certainly looks like to most. Like one person on IRC said, it looks like the general idea of sombres ban was that not caring about a punishment (the 10pt infraction thing) permits a permaban.

Now, I don't agree with Shrapnels policy of banning him, but I recognize that this is their forum, and we must abide by their rules. Some people made good points in the night of long knives -thread, like that the rules say that generally you get three temp bans before a permanent one. The modding community has really lost important people due all this crap hitting the fan, like Sombre and Burnsaber, and the community as whole has lost a lot due people leaving in disgust due to Shrapnels take on this whole situation.

Juffos, we're all sombre due the situation, aren't we?
I dont know about this.
One guy is constantly bending the rules for a long time and everybody knows it, even he himself likely did.
At some he goes to far and then he is surprised when he gets a harsh punishment at some point ? You gotte be kidding me.
I dont think shrapnel has to warn someone 3 or 10 times. They can warn once, and thats it then. If you drive a car under alcohol, you dont get warned for that once before you get taken care of your licence. There are rules for a reason. Thats my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnarok-X For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I dont know about this.
One guy is constantly bending the rules for a long time and everybody knows it, even he himself likely did.
At some he goes to far and then he is surprised when he gets a harsh punishment at some point ? You gotte be kidding me.
I dont think shrapnel has to warn someone 3 or 10 times. They can warn once, and thats it then. If you drive a car under alcohol, you dont get warned for that once before you get taken care of your licence. There are rules for a reason. Thats my opinion.
Well, to be honest, drunk driving and forum trolling don't really compare well against each other. You don't get punished harshly by shouting random obscenities on the street, mayhaps get a fine for disturbing public peace, possibly get a night in the jail to cool your head off. This is in the western countries of course, from what I've observed. No idea what kind of death penalty that would warrant in more totalitarian countries of course.

Like I stated in the other thread, I agree that Sombre has been an ***, and probably won't stop, but I don't mind. What he does FOR the community outweights well more what he's doing "against" the "harmonious" workings of it. Also, he was not surprised from what I gather, he didn't care. Other people did.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
A person can probably make it back in, under a new name, and act in a way that no one figures out its him/her.
This is a real problem. It's especially hard to moderate if there person in question is in a position of power, fortunately when some sleazebag tries this it usually becomes quite obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to quantum_mechani For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Not caring about the rules is considered enougth to be punished (well, more often than not), in our western world.

Everyone knows this for sure, even the most scandalous of punks, so no one should even be slightly surprised about the actual outcome of the present struggle.

Plus creating a special case for someone tends to weaken the rule overall, and, to speak frankly, I see enougth of priviledged people at work, and in real life, for not having to bear with some on the forum I do occasionally frequent.

Not that I personnally care much about the outcome of this conflict. Whatever will be fine for me.

Senior member of the GLIN !
The Following User Says Thank You to Humakty For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread