.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Fallout Okay, point system for nation design again

This is scaled back considerably from the original version, which was going to be used to score arbitrary nations with any combination of units and magic paths based on the strengtht of the units, diversity of the units, etc. etc. It was ungodly complicated and it didn't work.

This one, instead, lets you design nations using preset rules, The points costs are almost completely arbitrary. Kindly use them to design a few nations (I recommend using 1,000 points total, as that is a good round number), and see how they come out. Some things are doubtless over-priced, some things are doubtless under-priced.

There's a bunch more work to do but the critical game-balance aspects are in place. Also let me know if I should pepper it with more more mod-code to make using it easier.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CustomUnits_Simple.zip (34.7 KB, 241 views)
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Okay, point system for nation design again

Well I suppose I could try to see if this makes my dom 3 K nations balanced with each other would be a test for this poitn system or my mod .. but it's a lot of work and I can already see that a lot of "special" stuff doesn't fit. I realise that it's not what it's meant for either.

Beautious Race should of course be AWESOME race.

I've read the whole thing through a glance and it seems like a good system... I can see you've put a LOT of work and thought in it. I think that the mage charts and unit + skills powers part is very important and you've done it very well. Wether it's balanced I couldn't say though it's too much to even start aboiut it.

I guess that for me survival could be even cheaper.

One thing that might be improved is an aditional modifier for stronger elites, maybe lower the general race cost for bigger and giants units but put a high cost somewhere for elites (giants "an sich" are considered pretty useless)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

War Trolls

Large 100 pts 900 left
Tech 2 100 pts 800 left
Mountain Race 25 pts 775 left
Many Elites 200 pts 575 left
(no sacreds, no cavalry)

Everywhere elite melee; 40 gold, 25 resources
#size 3
#str 17
#hp 24
#atk 11
#def 11
#mor 13
#prec 10
#mapmove 2
Berserk
Regeneration 20
Flail 347, Chakram, Tower Shield, Full Scale Mail, Full Helmet

Everywhere elite ranged; 40 gold, 20 resources
#size 3
#str 17
#hp 24
#atk 11
#def 11
#mor 13
#prec 14
#mapmove 2
Regeneration 20
Great Bow, Maul, Full Scale Mail, Full Helmet

Mountainy Fort 100 pts 475 left

Mages: Devastating, Narrow, Everywhere, Medium cost, female 425 pts 50 left
A: Fire, B: Earth, C: Astral, D: Blood
270 gold, minimal resources.

50 pts for basic priests, basic commanders. If those are available for free, purchase one additional skill pick: Siege bonus 3
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I think the resource on the troll can't be correct, full armor on size 3 must be like 75 resc.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Corporal

I have tried to build a WarTrolls.dm file with which to test this race, and encountered what is likely to be a syntax bug which is crashing my game each time it tries to load the file. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I have done wrong. Any chance I could get someone to eyeball my DM file to see what the problem is? It is very likely a really obvious syntax error that I'll feel really stupid about after. ;-) See attachment.

With regard to the resources, without actually loading up the race, it is hard to know how the game might recalculate the resource cost. Should I be using the tag; #ressize 3 to force a proper calculation of the resource costs or will the game do something appropriate simply because they are #size 3 ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip WarTrolls.zip (44.8 KB, 102 views)
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

#rcost is any extra costs the unit might have, e.g. a mechanical monster might have high resource cost even though it has no armor, just high natural protection.

Since you aren't using custom armor, all the armors and weapons should have their resource costs.

#ressize is used for cavalry and other units where the armor doesn't need to be as big as the size would imply. #size 3, #ressize 2, for example.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Corporal

Thank you Endoperez. I removed the #rcost and #ressize tags as being redundant, assuming therefor that the game shall calculate the appropriate resource costs. The game still crashes when attempting to load the mod file however.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpiper View Post
Thank you Endoperez. I removed the #rcost and #ressize tags as being redundant, assuming therefor that the game shall calculate the appropriate resource costs. The game still crashes when attempting to load the mod file however.
Create a new .dm file and just add a bit of your code and then test. If it works, sweet. Then save, add another bit, test if works. Repeat until you get the error. That way you can localize the cause of the error (of course, it was the latest bit of code).

a bit off-topic, but I'll ask anyway, how's the Chaos mod going?
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Corporal

The instant I referenced the graphics folder, things started crashing. Several permutations later, I discovered that there was something weird about the way Photoshop had saved the banner and flag graphics, that was crashing the game. Is there another format I can save graphics in, perhaps one that Photoshop will not screw up? I have it working now, using flag and banners from the Chaos mod.

The Chaos mod has only had a bit of work done on it in the last few months, though it has been enough for a new version number. I suppose I should upload that, eh? (I only ever work on it when I've gone back to play a new game with it, which is typically every few months for a day or so.)

I'm re-uploading a now working test race mod of the above WarTrolls. (It's still using a Warhammer Chaos banner and flag) Actual resource costs are higher than what I wrote above, the resource cost for the elite melee being recalculated by the game to be 38.

The race works, though I think the regeneration 20 may be too high. These guys cut through independents like they weren't there. Maybe drop the standard regen power down to 10 and allow a second power pick to bump it to 20?

Having some sort of guidance as to how to define commanders and priests is necessary, along with standard province defense and starting units.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wartrolls.zip (62.8 KB, 118 views)
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

There was something you had to do to get tga files out of photoshop that could be used. Flattening them, maybe? I forget what you had to do.

GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) really works well for this, though - tga files produced from GIMP always work without a hitch for me.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe