.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default Dominion Spread? Manual p. 94

Hello! My second-to-last newbie question here! THank you in advance.
In the manual, p. 94, you can read that "a temple check can spread dominion to provinces far away...". That confuses me, since the entire chapter speaks of spreading dominion to an "adjacent" providence. My English is not perfect, but I thought that this means "next to". How does it go far away?

After reading that chapter, I also have more questions. Here are some:
1. I am also somewhat confused as to how dominion spreads outward from an already "saturated" nation.
I mean, let's say that my max. dominion is 8 (my pretender had 6 and I have 11 temples up). Let's say that all the provinces in which I have temples are up to this max of 8. Let's say that a miracle happens and that I get 10 successful "temple checks". Since everytghing is at its max, and the neighbors may be at max too, where does the spread go to if "adjacent" is already full up?

2. Let's say I have a dominion influence of 3 in province X. But Pythium is nearby, preaching. His dominion flows into X too. On the same turn, Abysia makes some nice blood sacrifices nearby, and their influence plops into X too. How is the dominion "weighed up" against each other with more than 1 competitor? Do they all 3 cancel each other out, or first one and then the other (much like battles are reseovled when multiple armies move in simultaneously)?

3. If my pretender has 6 max dominion during creation process, and I have 10 temples up, I can have 8 total max dominion at any time. Let's say I have a bunch of provinces with 8 dominion. If I lose one temple on turn X (lets say due to one of those bad events), will ALL provinces at 8 immediately drop down to 7 on turn X or X+1?

Thank you
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominion Spread? Manual p. 94

there are as many theories about dominion spread as there are dominions 3 players...

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

#1: Dom spread from temples reduces the number of enemy candles in the province it plops into if it makes a successful check against the existing enemy dominion.

#2: Preaching doesn't really spread dominion, it has a chance based on priest level to increase dominion in the province the priest is in. But if you preach to max, then further dominion spread will flow out of the province. If a Pythium dom spread plops onto your province and passes the check against your existing dominion, you lose a candle. If Aby dom spread plops onto your province and passes the check against your existing dominion, you lose another candle. I don't know which nations spread first.

#3: Max dominion is for dominion spread only. You can have higher than max if you preach, or get a random dominion event, or if you lose some temples.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Most of these answers aren't that important. Instead of formulas, you need to know how to use dominion and what you should be careful about.

Higher dominion is better, but dominion of 4-5 is enough. Having too low max dominion score can be dangerous.

Province with a dominion value of only 1 or 2 will most likely not be under the full scales you chose, which can be important in case of rich farmlands and income-increasing scales.

If you have significantly lower dominion than your opponent, investing (and protecting!) temples and/or priests would be a good idea.

Under negative dominion, positive scales won't help you even if it was your dominion that originally brough those scales there.

Nations who need a spesific temperature need higher dominion, e.g. EA Abysia loses lots of income in Cold 1 province.
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
In the manual, p. 94, you can read that "a temple check can spread dominion to provinces far away...". That confuses me, since the entire chapter speaks of spreading dominion to an "adjacent" providence. My English is not perfect, but I thought that this means "next to". How does it go far away?

After reading that chapter, I also have more questions. Here are some:
1. I am also somewhat confused as to how dominion spreads outward from an already "saturated" nation.
The analogy to a liquid is quite helpful in understanding its behavior. When one "container" (province) is "full", it "spills over" into an adjacent one. If that province is "full", it continues to "overflow" until it reaches a province that isn't "full", which is how it ends up "far away" from the temple where it was "poured" into the network of "containers".

Raising your Maximum Dominion makes all of the "containers" "bigger", and enemy Dominion spread slowly empties your "containers".

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.

Last edited by capnq; June 24th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: amplification & clarification, typo
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

But thats not right, or its not right as I understand it anyway.

A temple check has a percentage chance of being expressed in its territory. If it fails, it will go to an adjacent territory. Territories will be checked until the dominion spread is expressed.
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Everyone knows stories about teleporting dominion... even into far far away provinces.

LA Agartha guide
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
But thats not right, or its not right as I understand it anyway.

A temple check has a percentage chance of being expressed in its territory. If it fails, it will go to an adjacent territory. Territories will be checked until the dominion spread is expressed.
Or until it fails in enemy dominion, IIRC.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
All great.
So are you saying that if a temple check succeeds, it will make dominion increase somewhere, but this doesnt have to be in the same province or an adjacent one, it could be anywhere? Interesting
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:18 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think capnq's explanation is perhaps best.