.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Corporal

Zentar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Current other active game software

Dominions3 has eclipsed the playing most other games.

I dropped my World of Warcraft, rarely play Heroes of Might and Magic V, no longer play HOMM4 or HOMM3, rarely play Wesnoth, no longer play Master of Magic, Civilization, Stars, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Empire (1979), Tome derivatives, and so many others. Mule is still on my 1983 atari computer, but I would have to take it out of storage. Chess ruled from 1961-1982 but I never played in a FIDE or USCF national tournament after I was married. Chess programs have become far better than most humans, but I rarely play them. I like Lords of Magic SE in the late 1990's. There were several role playing games in addition to the strategy genre, but I am not going to list all of them.

I am still finding out new things about Dominions3. New mods, maps, game versions (add ons), player guides, forum / community, ect... just keep me coming back for more.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

if you can find it "masters of orion 2" is a hoot. for you older players close combat 2 is hair raising tension.(if your side is the poor allies). this only counts in head to head as the ai is stupid. Bwaha

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I've got copies of MOO and MOO2. MOO2 is great! I used to have MOO3-I know, it's not very good, but I was fond of it-but one of the disks went missing, and I haven't found a replacement for it.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Zentar said:
Mule is still on my 1983 atari computer, but I would have to take it out of storage.
MULE! Thats a memory.
Did you know that Shrapnel sells a version of that called Space HoRSE?
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/gilliga...ce_HoRSE/1.htm
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM

General

I've thought about getting a copy of Space HoRSE-and I will, if I ever have any money again.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I've got copies of MOO and MOO2. MOO2 is great! I used to have MOO3-I know, it's not very good, but I was fond of it-but one of the disks went missing, and I haven't found a replacement for it.
MOO 2 was greatness. MOO 3 was, well, ok. I enjoyed it. Nothing like MOO 2 though.

I've moved onto GalCiv2, but I have to admit the expansions are quite buggy until, like, the fourth or fifth update. I'm playing the newest expansion now, Twilight of the Arnor, and it's very cool, but riddled with bugs. Things like crash to desktop buggy. But it's good fun. Save early, save often.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM

General

Yeah that was the biggest problem I encountered with GalCiv2-fun game, but buggier than anything except, well, MOO3
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Corporal

Zentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
MULE! Thats a memory.
Did you know that Shrapnel sells a version of that called Space HoRSE?
Yes I know that, and in the most recent Space HoRSE thread I commented that it too bad it is NOT available to MAC users.

Lingchih says:
Quote:
MOO 2 was greatness. MOO 3 was, well, ok. I enjoyed it. Nothing like MOO 2 though.
. Agreed MOO2 was best, then MOO1, and MOO3 least.

I played many "epic" multiplayer games with MOO2 and HOMM3. These games ran for 12 hours or more non-stop (microwave ovens reduced food preparation to a couple minutes at the most and seconds to reheat coffee between turns). Being able to do your turn while others simultaneously did their turn was an improvement over other games where each player took one turn at a time. MOO2 is still an immortal but it is not available to MAC and can not be played on any of today's PC computers. I miss MOO2. Civilization, Europa Universalis, MechWarrior, Warlords 1-3, 4 was buggy, Age of Empires II, Starcraft series.

For the rpg's I also played Diablo, Diablo2, GuildWars, NeverWinterNights (very good), Dungeon's of Moria, Morrowind, and World of Warcraft, and more.

For Wargames I liked Allied General a lot (my son loved it also), and Operation Crusader.

There is a lot more, but it is late so I must be going.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

No, I have MOO 2 for the Mac. In fact, that is where I play it. It is the only machine I have that can still play it.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I also was quite fond of MoO3. Maybe because I hadn't played the other two, so I didn't know what I was missing? I just felt MoO3 had so much interesting content, and it seems like the AI was actually competitive (all too rare to find), that it was easy enough to overlook most of the flaws. It's funny now that I think about it though, the "hands off" scripted method of combat in Dom3, for all its quirks, gives better results than the "hands on" tactical combats of MoO3. There was nothing like watching a task force of Point Defense ships get completely flattened by missiles without firing a single shot.

I think I'm going to get AoW again, I've been missing it, and seeing so many people talk about it is really getting under my skin.