.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Gath, dev diary or something

I started to write this post as an answer to Wraithlord, but I figured it would be better to place in a new thread.

I have long waited with Gath, since I'm very fond of ancient near eastern myth. I have always felt a bit worried that they would not become what I imagined, so I've waited. From time to time I have done some research, but never very focused. A couple of weeks ago I got inspired and did a lot of research and begun with descriptions. It was about at the same time as the 3.15 was in beta, so I could not work on the game per se.

I started to write descriptions while reading, which was rewarding. Old ideas were combined with new ones, and soon Gath, the LA version of the nation took form. Gath is the most israelite of the three nations. It draws inspiration from philistines and the israelites before the diaspora. The cult is centered around the Great Temple. From Gath, the few remaining giants rule their human subjects.
The humans of Gath live subjugated by the gittite giants, denied even the lore of iron-working. (Philistines used iron, but kept it from the israelis).
The gittites are descendants of the Rephaim, mighty giants of an earlier age (EA and MA).

Ashdod (MA) is a nation of Rephaim giants. A few human immigrants have been enslaved and used in warfare, but they are as rare as they are worthless. Ashdod is one of the cities of the Anakim, mightiest of the Rephaim and pure-blooded descendants of the godlike Nephilim of the earliest time.

Hinnom (EA) is a nation of Rephaim and lesser giants. The blood of the Nephilim runs strong and the Rephaim are few but powerful. Avvites and Horim (lesser giants) compose much of the population.

So far:
Gath is finished.
Ashdod is lacking commanders, mages and sacred units.
Hinnom only has Horites and Avvites as of yet.

I have not begun work on summons yet.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gath, dev diary or something

I'm really anticipating seeing these nations. I wonder what sort of magic we'll be looking at? My first thought was that Blood and Fire seemed appropriate to some degree, based on the bits I remember from the Bible.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Question - near OT

And is Arabo-Persian faction planned? I can't wait for genie!
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
I started to write this post as an answer to Wraithlord, but I figured it would be better to place in a new thread.

I have long waited with Gath, since I'm very fond of ancient near eastern myth. I have always felt a bit worried that they would not become what I imagined, so I've waited. From time to time I have done some research, but never very focused. A couple of weeks ago I got inspired and did a lot of research and begun with descriptions. It was about at the same time as the 3.15 was in beta, so I could not work on the game per se.

I started to write descriptions while reading, which was rewarding. Old ideas were combined with new ones, and soon Gath, the LA version of the nation took form. Gath is the most israelite of the three nations. It draws inspiration from philistines and the israelites before the diaspora. The cult is centered around the Great Temple. From Gath, the few remaining giants rule their human subjects.
The humans of Gath live subjugated by the gittite giants, denied even the lore of iron-working. (Philistines used iron, but kept it from the israelis).
The gittites are descendants of the Rephaim, mighty giants of an earlier age (EA and MA).

Ashdod (MA) is a nation of Rephaim giants. A few human immigrants have been enslaved and used in warfare, but they are as rare as they are worthless. Ashdod is one of the cities of the Anakim, mightiest of the Rephaim and pure-blooded descendants of the godlike Nephilim of the earliest time.

Hinnom (EA) is a nation of Rephaim and lesser giants. The blood of the Nephilim runs strong and the Rephaim are few but powerful. Avvites and Horim (lesser giants) compose much of the population.

So far:
Gath is finished.
Ashdod is lacking commanders, mages and sacred units.
Hinnom only has Horites and Avvites as of yet.

I have not begun work on summons yet.
I think just for variety I'm going to have to mod in a nation of little short creatures that enslave giants.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Hoburg Niefelmasters!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Old March 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Hey Ogre Kingdoms have Slave Giants. Slave Giants compared with Ogres are like Jotuns compared with humans, so I think that counts.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

KO, your post/diary is very enlightening.

Have you considered adding specific pretenders/summons based on the gods, daemons, worshiped at this era (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...e_Hebrew_Bible), prominent among them:
1. "Ashtoret", aka Astarte, Goddess of fertility (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astarte) was associated with the deamon Astaroth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astaroth)

2. Ba'al Zebûb, the lord of flies, a deamon prince/god worshiped by the Philistine

3. Dagon, already here

4. Moloch, A fertility god to which humans were sacrificed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch)

5. Angel orders, for which I'm sure you know much more than myself. I just want to point to this nice site the supposedly has a complete list of the angel and daemon orders according to Christianity, http://www.heart7.net/spirit/top.html.

In any case I'm *sure* the nations will come out great and I'm really looking forward to the next patch
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I'm actually working on (and have most of the artwork done for) an EA nation of giants that enslave dwarfs and trolls. In the MA version, the dwarfs have overthrown the giants and built their own nation, but I haven't started on that yet. Enslaved giants, trolls, minotaurs, and maybe a dragon or two will be a major element.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Dwarfs, dragons and trolls! You can't go wrong.