.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me or is Hellheim troops way to str

So far the real difference I see is that the ****heim advantages are EASIER to use than many others. I think thats what puts them at the top of the finger-pointing chart. Not that they are too powerful but maybe just that it doesnt take much skill to take advantage of it. So it shows up sooner in new players games. The other good tactics need a more experienced player so the ****heim stuff puts a mediocre player on par with experts. That might be an imbalance but Im not sure what change would help it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Sergeant

CharonJr is on a distinguished road

Personally I go for a fairly focused blood-hunting strategy most of the time (5 provinces with 3 B3+1 hunters in each), but I would have to agree that with mainly fodder as patrols the 3 High Priests would be hard pressed to stop a Van raiding party. But due to having B3 it might not be impossible (no manual here, due to this I don't know if there are some decent spells vs. Van in B1-3).

Guarding 5 provinces with enough units to repel a raid in addition to having some armies claiming Van provinces and hunting for its home province might be too much even with the cheap troops.

But this depends on the phase of the game and how it is progressing overall. The roughly 120 slaves I get this way while "wasting" 90RPs might not be that attractive all the time

But I will take a look at this in the testgame, too (EA).

CharonJr
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Private

NickW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
So far the real difference I see is that the ****heim advantages are EASIER to use than many others.

Well yeah they are easier to use. It's hard to use them wrong since they are superior units.

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
I think thats what puts them at the top of the finger-pointing chart. Not that they are too powerful but maybe just that it doesnt take much skill to take advantage of it. So it shows up sooner in new players games. The other good tactics need a more experienced player so the ****heim stuff puts a mediocre player on par with experts. That might be an imbalance but Im not sure what change would help it.
I disagree. A more experienced player, who knows exactly how to take advantage of such uber troops, is really good to tear someone up with them.